Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Type of Work: Image remove ×
Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The buildings are Romanesque except for the later abbot’s lodgings and infirmary. The original refectory was demolished in 1745.

    The Abbey of Fontenay is a former Cistercian abbey located in the commune of Marmagne, near Montbard, in the département of Côte-d'Or in France. The second daughter-house of Clairvaux, it was established by St. Bernard himself in 1118. In 1130 growing numbers necessitated a move to the present site. The abbey was bought by Édouard Aynard in 1905 and restore…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The abbey church, built of limestone, was begun ca. 1139; it was sufficiently complete to be consecrated in 1147. It is therefore the oldest, though not necessarily the most representative, of the surviving group of so-called Bernardine churches.

    The Abbey of Fontenay is a former Cistercian abbey located in the commune of Marmagne, near Montbard, in the département of Côte-d'Or in France. The second daughter-house of Clairvaux, it was established by St. Bernard himself in 1118. In 1130 g…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Founded in 654 by Saint Philibert, Jumièges Abbey was ruined in the Norman invasions from 841. In 942 William I, Duke of Normandy, brought 12 monks from Poitiers to refound it. The church of St. Pierre was rebuilt towards the end of the 10th century. Thierry, Abbot of Jumièges, envisaged the reconstruction of the great Carolingian abbey church of Notre-Dame and probably began the work but died (1027) before he was able to finish the project. Notre-Dame was built between 1040 and 1067 and was …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The nave (width 8.5 m), with unarticulated walls, consists of arcades with plain arches springing from rectangular piers with imposts; above is a row of blind oculi (no doubt originally decorated with painting or inlay), then a narrow circulation gallery returning into the western tribune and open to the nave through paired arches. (Grove)

    Founded in 654 by Saint Philibert, Jumièges Abbey was ruined in the Norman invasions from 841. In 942 William I, Duke of Normandy, brought 12 monks from P…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    A barbican is an outwork in Medieval fortifications, such as gate towers, but more frequently an advance work used to flank the approach to a gateway.

    Benedictine abbey on an island off the coast of Normandy, France. During the Hundred Years War the fortifications of Mont-Saint-Michel were reinforced (1420-1449), and the Romanesque choir collapsed (1421). Construction of the present chevet began in 1448. In 1622 the abbey became part of the Congregation of St Maur; the three western nave bay…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    In Normandy, Saint Michael is the patron of mariners in his famous sanctuary at Mont-Saint-Michel in the Diocese of Coutances. He is said to have appeared there, in 708, to St. Aubert, Bishop of Avranches.

    Benedictine abbey on an island off the coast of Normandy, France. During the Hundred Years War the fortifications of Mont-Saint-Michel were reinforced (1420-1449), and the Romanesque choir collapsed (1421). Construction of the present chevet began in 1448. In 1622 the abbey became part of …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Benedictine abbey on an island off the coast of Normandy, France. During the Hundred Years War the fortifications of Mont-Saint-Michel were reinforced (1420-1449), and the Romanesque choir collapsed (1421). Construction of the present chevet began in 1448. In 1622 the abbey became part of the Congregation of St Maur; the three western nave bays and the façade were destroyed and replaced with a large terrace. The abbey was dissolved at the Revolution (1789-1795), and it was used as a prison in…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Benedictine abbey on an island off the coast of Normandy, France. During the Hundred Years War the fortifications of Mont-Saint-Michel were reinforced (1420-1449), and the Romanesque choir collapsed (1421). Construction of the present chevet began in 1448. In 1622 the abbey became part of the Congregation of St Maur; the three western nave bays and the façade were destroyed and replaced with a large terrace. The abbey was dissolved at the Revolution (1789-1795), and it was used as a prison in…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Benedictine abbey on an island off the coast of Normandy, France. During the Hundred Years War the fortifications of Mont-Saint-Michel were reinforced (1420-1449), and the Romanesque choir collapsed (1421). Construction of the present chevet began in 1448. In 1622 the abbey became part of the Congregation of St Maur; the three western nave bays and the façade were destroyed and replaced with a large terrace. The abbey was dissolved at the Revolution (1789-1795), and it was used as a prison in…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Vaulted in three aisles of three bays; the easternmost bay has been demolished. Here, rib vaults were used for the first time at the site, rising from clustered piers with octagonal capitals

    The Abbey of Fontenay is a former Cistercian abbey located in the commune of Marmagne, near Montbard, in the département of Côte-d'Or in France. The second daughter-house of Clairvaux, it was established by St. Bernard himself in 1118. In 1130 growing numbers necessitated a move to the present site. …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Founded in 654 by Saint Philibert, Jumièges Abbey was ruined in the Norman invasions from 841. In 942 William I, Duke of Normandy, brought 12 monks from Poitiers to refound it. The church of St. Pierre was rebuilt towards the end of the 10th century. Thierry, Abbot of Jumièges, envisaged the reconstruction of the great Carolingian abbey church of Notre-Dame and probably began the work but died (1027) before he was able to finish the project. Notre-Dame was built between 1040 and 1067 and was …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    From the left, St. Mark with the winged lion, St. John Evangelist with the eagle, St. Luke with the winged bull and St. Matthew with an angel (or man).

    Benedictine abbey on an island off the coast of Normandy, France. During the Hundred Years War the fortifications of Mont-Saint-Michel were reinforced (1420-1449), and the Romanesque choir collapsed (1421). Construction of the present chevet began in 1448. In 1622 the abbey became part of the Congregation of St Maur; the three western nave ba…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public