Architectural Lantern Slides of France

Collection Details Full Record
Parent Collection
Architectural Lantern Slides

Description

Lantern slides created in France during the late 19th or early 20th century. Image subjects include churches and cathedrals, castles, palaces, public buildings, bridges, sculpture, artifacts taken from other countries, and street scenes. These lantern slides were intended for use in architectural pedagogy. Some images include people and fashions of the time.

Creator

G. Massiot & cie

Subject

Bridges

Theaters

Mosques

Windmills

Architecture

Abbeys

Churches

Cathedrals

Fountains

Statues

Hotels

Castles

City Halls

Historical gardens

Palaces

Spatial Coverage

Amiens

Paris

Laon

Bourg-en-Bresse

Fontainebleau

Bayeux

Blois

Limoges

France

Mont-Saint-Michel

Strasbourg

Chartres

Versailles

Vézelay

Chantilly

Rouen

Arles

Saint-Denis

Caen

Dijon

Bourges

Reims

Chambord

Avignon

Chenonceaux

Périgueux

Parc de Saint-Cloud

Tours

Compiègne

Vincennes

Angoulême

Poitiers

Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Collection: Architectural Lantern Slides of France remove ×
Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Order took its name from that of the mountainous site of the mother house at La Grande Chartreuse in the diocese of Grenoble (Isère). The Order has never been reformed; such continuity over more than 900 years is unique. The way of life of the first Carthusians, characterized by total dedication to contemplation through silence, assiduous prayer, poverty, penance and almost continuous occupancy of a solitary cell, impressed contemporaries with its novelty. The Carthusian vision could not …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The buildings are Romanesque except for the later abbot’s lodgings and infirmary. The original refectory was demolished in 1745.

    The Abbey of Fontenay is a former Cistercian abbey located in the commune of Marmagne, near Montbard, in the département of Côte-d'Or in France. The second daughter-house of Clairvaux, it was established by St. Bernard himself in 1118. In 1130 growing numbers necessitated a move to the present site. The abbey was bought by Édouard Aynard in 1905 and restore…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The abbey church, built of limestone, was begun ca. 1139; it was sufficiently complete to be consecrated in 1147. It is therefore the oldest, though not necessarily the most representative, of the surviving group of so-called Bernardine churches.

    The Abbey of Fontenay is a former Cistercian abbey located in the commune of Marmagne, near Montbard, in the département of Côte-d'Or in France. The second daughter-house of Clairvaux, it was established by St. Bernard himself in 1118. In 1130 g…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    A former Roman Catholic cathedral. It was formerly the seat of the Bishopric of Noyon, abolished by the Concordat of 1801 and merged into the Diocese of Beauvais. The cathedral was constructed on the site of a church burned down in 1131 and is a fine example of the transition from Romanesque to Gothic architecture. In plan it is a Latin cross; the height of the nave vaulting is 23 m. The west front has a porch, added in the 14th century, and two unfinished towers, their upper portions dating …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Founded in 654 by Saint Philibert, Jumièges Abbey was ruined in the Norman invasions from 841. In 942 William I, Duke of Normandy, brought 12 monks from Poitiers to refound it. The church of St. Pierre was rebuilt towards the end of the 10th century. Thierry, Abbot of Jumièges, envisaged the reconstruction of the great Carolingian abbey church of Notre-Dame and probably began the work but died (1027) before he was able to finish the project. Notre-Dame was built between 1040 and 1067 and was …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The nave (width 8.5 m), with unarticulated walls, consists of arcades with plain arches springing from rectangular piers with imposts; above is a row of blind oculi (no doubt originally decorated with painting or inlay), then a narrow circulation gallery returning into the western tribune and open to the nave through paired arches. (Grove)

    Founded in 654 by Saint Philibert, Jumièges Abbey was ruined in the Norman invasions from 841. In 942 William I, Duke of Normandy, brought 12 monks from P…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Pope Innocent VI issued a papal bull founding the charterhouse (Carthusian monastery) on June 2, 1356, next to his palace in Villeneuve-lès-Avignon. A religious community of about forty people began building the church of St. Mary (consecrated 1358), the great cloister and small cloister. Having escaped the plague that struck the city of Avignon in 1361 , Pope Innocent VI, by a bull of August 1362 , decided to appoint the monastery, Notre-Dame du Val de Benediction. On 22 November 1362 , the …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    A barbican is an outwork in Medieval fortifications, such as gate towers, but more frequently an advance work used to flank the approach to a gateway.

    Benedictine abbey on an island off the coast of Normandy, France. During the Hundred Years War the fortifications of Mont-Saint-Michel were reinforced (1420-1449), and the Romanesque choir collapsed (1421). Construction of the present chevet began in 1448. In 1622 the abbey became part of the Congregation of St Maur; the three western nave bay…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    In Normandy, Saint Michael is the patron of mariners in his famous sanctuary at Mont-Saint-Michel in the Diocese of Coutances. He is said to have appeared there, in 708, to St. Aubert, Bishop of Avranches.

    Benedictine abbey on an island off the coast of Normandy, France. During the Hundred Years War the fortifications of Mont-Saint-Michel were reinforced (1420-1449), and the Romanesque choir collapsed (1421). Construction of the present chevet began in 1448. In 1622 the abbey became part of …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Benedictine abbey on an island off the coast of Normandy, France. During the Hundred Years War the fortifications of Mont-Saint-Michel were reinforced (1420-1449), and the Romanesque choir collapsed (1421). Construction of the present chevet began in 1448. In 1622 the abbey became part of the Congregation of St Maur; the three western nave bays and the façade were destroyed and replaced with a large terrace. The abbey was dissolved at the Revolution (1789-1795), and it was used as a prison in…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Benedictine abbey on an island off the coast of Normandy, France. During the Hundred Years War the fortifications of Mont-Saint-Michel were reinforced (1420-1449), and the Romanesque choir collapsed (1421). Construction of the present chevet began in 1448. In 1622 the abbey became part of the Congregation of St Maur; the three western nave bays and the façade were destroyed and replaced with a large terrace. The abbey was dissolved at the Revolution (1789-1795), and it was used as a prison in…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Benedictine abbey on an island off the coast of Normandy, France. During the Hundred Years War the fortifications of Mont-Saint-Michel were reinforced (1420-1449), and the Romanesque choir collapsed (1421). Construction of the present chevet began in 1448. In 1622 the abbey became part of the Congregation of St Maur; the three western nave bays and the façade were destroyed and replaced with a large terrace. The abbey was dissolved at the Revolution (1789-1795), and it was used as a prison in…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public