Architectural Lantern Slides of Italy

Collection Details Full Record
Parent Collection
Architectural Lantern Slides

Description

Lantern slides created in Italy during the late 19th or early 20th century. Image subjects include arenas, basilicas, cathedrals, chapels, churches, fountains, gardens, loggias, public buildings, ruins, sculpture, tombs. These lantern slides were intended for use in architectural pedagogy. Some images include people and fashions of the time.

Creator

G. Massiot & cie

Subject

Theaters

Churches

Palaces

Fountains

Temples

City halls

Architecture

Monuments

Statues

Cathedral

Monasteries

Spatial Coverage

Siena

Agrigento

Florence

Pisa

Italy

Venice

Palermo

Ravenna

Vicenza

Padua

Tivoli

Pompeii

Vatican City

Perugia

Pistoia

Rome

Brescia

Mantua

Verona

Assisi

Naples

Bologna

Milan

Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Collection: Architectural Lantern Slides of Italy remove ×
Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    S Francesco was built 1230-1298 in a Romanesque-Gothic transitional style.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Portrayed as he gives a blessing and preaches, while holding the keys to the kingdom of heaven. The foot is worn thin from centuries of being touched by pilgrims. The backdrop is a mosaic.

    The bronze figure of St. Peter in St. Peter’s, Rome, was based on the antique statue of a philosopher (now Rome, Grotte Vaticane), remodelled to represent Peter. The long-disputed dating of the bronze figure to the late 13th century, first advocated by Wickhoff (1890), was confirmed by an analysis of t…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Beside the church is the remains of a campanile and next to the church, a monastery (known as the Bishop’s Palace).

    Buildings in Tuscany were conservative and followed Early Christian models. An important feature of Florentine Romanesque is exemplified by the striking use of coloured marble inlays to form lively geometrical patterns seen also at S Miniato al Monte, with an interior articulated by the rhythmic alternating system of columnar and quadrilobed piers, the latter rising to diap…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The apse mosaic bears the date 1297; it depicts Christ in benediction between the Virgin, St. Miniatus, the symbols of the Evangelists and the kneeling donor.

    Buildings in Tuscany were conservative and followed Early Christian models. An important feature of Florentine Romanesque is exemplified by the striking use of coloured marble inlays to form lively geometrical patterns seen also at S Miniato al Monte, with an interior articulated by the rhythmic alternating system of columnar and quadr…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Buildings in Tuscany were conservative and followed Early Christian models. An important feature of Florentine Romanesque is exemplified by the striking use of coloured marble inlays to form lively geometrical patterns seen also at S Miniato al Monte, with an interior articulated by the rhythmic alternating system of columnar and quadrilobed piers, the latter rising to diaphragm arches.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The centre of the nave is dominated by the beautiful freestanding Cappella del Crocefisso (Chapel of the Crucifix), designed by Michelozzo in 1448. It originally housed the miraculous crucifix now in Santa Trìnita and is decorated with panels long thought to be painted by Agnolo Gaddi. The terracotta decoration of the vault is by Luca della Robbia.

    Buildings in Tuscany were conservative and followed Early Christian models. An important feature of Florentine Romanesque is exemplified by the s…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Mosaics and rose window are attributed to Orcagna, ca. 1359. The facade mosaics, put on from the second half of the 14th century, rapidly deteriorated and were extensively restored from the 17th century.

    A document of 1290 states that the new building should be modelled on S Maria Maggiore in Rome. This apparently influenced the early rectangular plan as well as, for example, the original semicircular apse, columnar piers in the nave and the attached half columns used on the exterior flanks….

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    View ca. 1910-1914.

    Studies by the excavator, Forlati, indicate that S Marco was a centrally planned, Greek-cross building from the start. The present building was begun ca. 1063 under Doge Domenico Contarini (reg 1043-1071), who wished it to reflect the increased power and wealth of Venice. He preserved the earlier foundations and reused some of the outside walls and brickwork of the earlier building. It was consecrated in 1094. S Marco is built of brick with a marble facing. It is centrall…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    An ancient altar in the mid of the nave covers the place of the saint’s martyrdom. The apse mosaics date from 6th century. Beneath a large cross, St. Apollinaris stands with his arms raised in prayer in the center of an idealized landscape, with six lambs on either side.

    Bishop Ursicinus (reigned 534-536) founded this church at Classis, about 5 km south of Ravenna; it was paid for by a local banker, Julianus Argentarius, and consecrated in 549 by Bishop Maximian. It is a spacious, three-…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    In the band below Christ Pantokrator are saints. The Virgin Mary is in center flanked by two archangels.

    [Cloister is now a State Art Institute for mosaic work.] It was formerly a Benedictine monastery. The foundation of the monastic house of S Maria Nuova by King William II of Sicily marked the climax of Norman ecclesiastical and artistic patronage on the island. The site chosen was on a hill overlooking Palermo. In 1176 one hundred Cluniac monks, under the first abbot, Theobald (reigned 11…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The dominating feature of the building is the main apse, framed by the receding sequence of arches in the chancel. The apses and presbyteries are spanned by pointed barrel vaults; other parts are covered by a timber roof. The large expanses of wall surface seem to have been designed with the mosaic decoration in mind.

    [Cloister is now a State Art Institute for mosaic work.] It was formerly a Benedictine monastery. The foundation of the monastic house of S Maria Nuova by King William II of Si…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    To the left is a procession of the 22 Virgins, lead by the Three Magi, moving from the city of Classe towards the group of the Madonna and Child surrounded by four angels. These are Byzantine period mosaics. Ships in port and the city walls of Classe are depicted.

    Originally built as Theodoric’s palace church and dedicated to the Saviour, it was rededicated to St Martin of Tours during the episcopate of Agnellus (556-569) and finally to St Apollinaris in the 9th century, probably after t…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public