Architectural Lantern Slides of Italy

Collection Details Full Record
Parent Collection
Architectural Lantern Slides

Description

Lantern slides created in Italy during the late 19th or early 20th century. Image subjects include arenas, basilicas, cathedrals, chapels, churches, fountains, gardens, loggias, public buildings, ruins, sculpture, tombs. These lantern slides were intended for use in architectural pedagogy. Some images include people and fashions of the time.

Creator

G. Massiot & cie

Subject

Theaters

Churches

Palaces

Fountains

Temples

City halls

Architecture

Monuments

Statues

Cathedral

Monasteries

Spatial Coverage

Siena

Agrigento

Florence

Pisa

Italy

Venice

Palermo

Ravenna

Vicenza

Padua

Tivoli

Pompeii

Vatican City

Perugia

Pistoia

Rome

Brescia

Mantua

Verona

Assisi

Naples

Bologna

Milan

Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Collection: Architectural Lantern Slides of Italy remove ×
Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Villa Belvedere was built by Innocent VIII on the high ground overlooking old St Peter’s Basilica, in 1484. The villa is now obscured by a two-storey palace. There are two long wings that connect the Apostolic Palace with the Belvedere Palace. The Belvedere Palace was built as the Villa Belvedere and now accomodates part of the Vatican Museums’ collection.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Apostolic Palace is the official residence of the pope, the head of the Catholic Church, located in Vatican City. Pope Sixtus V built most of the present form of the palace in the 16th century.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    A palace situated along the Grand Canal in Venice, Italy. It was built in the second half of the 15th Century by the Bembo family, The palace was renovated, modified and extended over the following centuries, finally taking on its current aspect in the 18th Century. The façade of Palazzo Pisani Moretta is an example of Venetian Gothic floral style.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    A large Roman archaeological complex at Tivoli, Italy. The villa was constructed at Tibur (modern-day Tivoli) as a retreat from Rome for Roman Emperor Hadrian during the second and third decades of the 2nd century AD. Hadrian is said to have disliked the palace on the Palatine Hill in Rome, leading to the construction of the retreat. Hadrian’s Villa is a vast area of land with many pools, baths, fountains and classical Greek and Roman architecture set in what would have been a mixture of …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    A Renaissance palace in Rome, Italy. The palace was designed by Baldassarre Peruzzi in 1532-1536.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Contarini were one of the most ancient, powerful and wealthy of patrician families of Venice. Together with 11 other Venetian dynasties, they were an ‘apostolic family’ (i.e. present at the election of the first doge of Venice in AD 697). Over the centuries, branches of the Contarini constructed approximately 25 palaces in Venice, including the Ca’ d'Oro. Palazzo Contarini Fasan is popularly known as “Desdemona’s house.” Both of these buildings were drawn by …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    About 1530 Falconetto was commissioned by the Consiglio of the city of Padua to reshape the upper floor of the Monte di Pietà. In the same year he was put in charge of work on the Loggia del Consiglio, which had been planned since 1496 and was built to a design by Annibale Magi da Bassano (died 1504). [It was called the Loggia della Gran Guardia when it housed a military command during the Austrian rule.]

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    In 1531-1532 the main entrance to the Palazzo del Capitanio, the seat of the Venetian governor on the Piazza dei Signori, Padua, was rebuilt to a design by Falconetto. It is an enlarged version of the central bay of the Loggia Cornaro, with the addition of paired Tuscan semi-columns. Instead of an antique frieze the architrave bears the inscription of the Doge of Venice, Andrea Gritti, and also the insignia of the two administrators Badoer and Moro, who represented Venice in Padua from 1531 t…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Along the Grand Canal the number of “fondaco” houses increased, buildings combining the warehouse on the canal level and the merchant’s residence above. Ca’ Sagredo started in this manner, with alterations by Andrea Tirali in the 18th century. (The Sagredo acquired the building from a branch of the Morosini in the 18th century.) The interior decoration includes a three-flight staircase by Tirali and paintings by Pietro Longhi, Andrea Urbani and Giovanni Battista Tiepolo. The…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The building dates from the Middle Ages, when it was constructed for the Arezzo family. The building was largely rebuilt between 1779 and 1788 in the Sicilian Baroque style following its purchase by Baron Guglielmo Beneventano, by the architect Luciano Alì. He transformed the medieval building, which had been used as a seat of local government, into a private house. Built around an enclosed courtyard, the courtyard facades are canted and adorned with twin columns, putti, and statuary. The fac…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    A well conserved example of a two-family palazzo of the ‘gotico fiorito’ with a six-light loggia in the second piano nobile, based on the Doge’s Palace. The building was built before 1442, since a document proves that in said year Francesco Sforza was guest in the palazzo (terminus ante quem). Until 1868, the palazzo remained property of the Bernardo family, which died out.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    A 16th century palace facing St. Luca’s canal near Teatro la Fenice. Now a hotel. The windows and loggias have Venetian Gothic detailing.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public