Architectural Lantern Slides of Italy

Collection Details Full Record
Parent Collection
Architectural Lantern Slides

Description

Lantern slides created in Italy during the late 19th or early 20th century. Image subjects include arenas, basilicas, cathedrals, chapels, churches, fountains, gardens, loggias, public buildings, ruins, sculpture, tombs. These lantern slides were intended for use in architectural pedagogy. Some images include people and fashions of the time.

Creator

G. Massiot & cie

Subject

Theaters

Churches

Palaces

Fountains

Temples

City halls

Architecture

Monuments

Statues

Cathedral

Monasteries

Spatial Coverage

Siena

Agrigento

Florence

Pisa

Italy

Venice

Palermo

Ravenna

Vicenza

Padua

Tivoli

Pompeii

Vatican City

Perugia

Pistoia

Rome

Brescia

Mantua

Verona

Assisi

Naples

Bologna

Milan

Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Collection: Architectural Lantern Slides of Italy remove ×
Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The building dates from the Middle Ages, when it was constructed for the Arezzo family. The building was largely rebuilt between 1779 and 1788 in the Sicilian Baroque style following its purchase by Baron Guglielmo Beneventano, by the architect Luciano Alì. He transformed the medieval building, which had been used as a seat of local government, into a private house. Built around an enclosed courtyard, the courtyard facades are canted and adorned with twin columns, putti, and statuary. The fac…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    [Santissima Annunziata is a Roman Catholic minor basilica in Florence and the mother church of the Servite order.] The most extraordinary and fascinating of Michelozzo’s architectural projects was the tribune of SS Annunziata, Florence. Its unprecedented circular plan with nine radiating chapels served as a presbytery, choir and funerary chapel. From the start of work (1444) the building was criticized by Brunelleschi and other architects, who suggested it was an unsuitable attachment to …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Rome, Italy - Villa di Medici

    A Mannerist villa and an architectural complex with a garden contiguous with the larger Borghese gardens, on the Pincian Hill next to Trinità dei Monti in Rome. The Villa Medici, owned by Ferdinando I de’ Medici, Grand Duke of Tuscany and now property of the French State, has housed the French Academy in Rome since 1803. Ferdinando purchased the villa from Cardinal Giovanni Ricci, and enlarged it to hold his collection of Classical sculpture. The garden fron…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Photograph dates between 1910 and 1914.

    Two columns stand in the Piazza dei Signori. The older one, dating from 1464, a period when Vicenza was controlled by the Venetian Republic, is topped with the winged lion, symbol of St. Mark and of Venice. Giovanni Antonio Amadeo was both an architect (known for city planning) and sculptor, so he may have executed all parts of the column. The second column dates from 1640 and is topped with a statue of Christ the Redeemer to honor Vicenza. Antonio Piz…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The obelisk marked a center, and a granite fountain by Carlo Maderno stood to one side: Bernini made the fountain appear to be one of the foci of the ellipse embraced by his colonnades and eventually matched it on the other side, in 1675, just five years before his death.

    In transforming the small existing piazza, Bernini was expected to cater for several functions. “Four rows of simple and majestic Doric columns (300 in total) all carved from Roman travertine. This forms an oval 650 fe…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The obelisk marked a center, and a granite fountain by Carlo Maderno stood to one side: Bernini made the fountain appear to be one of the foci of the ellipse embraced by his colonnades and eventually matched it on the other side, in 1675, just five years before his death.

    In transforming the small existing piazza, Bernini was expected to cater for several functions. “Four rows of simple and majestic Doric columns (300 in total) all carved from Roman travertine. This forms an oval 650 fe…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The obelisk marked a center, and a granite fountain by Carlo Maderno stood to one side: Bernini made the fountain appear to be one of the foci of the ellipse embraced by his colonnades and eventually matched it on the other side, in 1675, just five years before his death.

    In transforming the small existing piazza, Bernini was expected to cater for several functions. “Four rows of simple and majestic Doric columns (300 in total) all carved from Roman travertine. This forms an oval 650 fe…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    In transforming the small existing piazza, Bernini was expected to cater for several functions. “Four rows of simple and majestic Doric columns (300 in total) all carved from Roman travertine. This forms an oval 650 feet across the long axis marked by three monuments: positioned laterally by fountains propelling tall jets of water, and in the center, by an Egyptian obelisk that had served as a turning post in the chariot races at the ancient Circus of Nero. As they enter the piazza, the …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Bologne, Italy - Piazza Galileo

    The square in front of the Basilica of San Domenico is paved with pebbles, as it was in medieval times. It was originally the cemetery. The column closest to the church facade is a brickwork column with the bronze statue of St. Dominic (1627) and on the other side of the square (facing Via Giuseppe Garibaldi) is a column in marble, bricks and copper of the Madonna of the Rosary, after a design by Guido Reni (1632), commemorating the end of the plague in the ci…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Broletto is an ancient Italian word, and one meaning refers to a “place where justice is administered”, and is a term used in Northern Italy for early town halls. Sited next to the cathedral to signify the strong bond between the civil power of the City and of the Church. The expansion of the cathedral required the cutting of two arches towards the south (1477) and the closure of a porch on the same side (1514). This meant the separation of the town hall into two separate units, com…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    On the other side of the city from the theatre was the other great venue for spectacles, the Amphitheatre, or Arena, which can be dated to the 3rd decade AD (restored many times since the Middle Ages). The third largest antique amphitheatre in Italy (after Rome’s Colosseum and the arena at Capua), it is surrounded by an almost intact two-tier range of superimposed arches. Four bays of the original outer perimeter wall survive. The arena floor is large (73 x 44 m) and, together with the ca…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    This pilgrimage church, in which the relics of the Early Christian Bishop Zeno (died 380) are venerated, is one of the most unified of Romanesque ensembles, despite being rebuilt and modified throughout the 12th century. It is set at the northern edge of the town, adjacent to an old cemetery that included the legendary tomb of Pippin, King of the Lombards. The façade of the basilica is rich in stone and bronze sculpture, and the interior, with its trifoliate, late 14th-century ceiling, bears …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public