Architectural Lantern Slides of United Kingdom

Collection Details Full Record
Parent Collection
Architectural Lantern Slides

Description

Lantern slides created in the United Kingdom during the late 19th or early 20th century. Image subjects include castles, churches, cathedrals, colleges, prisons, public buildings, and public squares. These lantern slides were intended for use in architectural pedagogy. Some images include persons and fashions of the time.

Creator

G. Massiot & cie

Subject

City walls

Castles

Churches

Bridges

Palaces

Abbeys

Arches

Museums

Colleges

Architecture

Spatial Coverage

Shrewsbury

Caernarfon

Kenilworth

United Kingdom

Cambridge

Oxford

London

Eton

Salisbury

Scotland

Glasgow

Windsor Castle

Ely

England

Edinburgh

York

Carlisle

Warwick

Rievaulx

Fountains Abbey

Windsor

Wollaton

Wales

Stirling

Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Collection: Architectural Lantern Slides of United Kingdom remove ×
Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The castle was founded by William I immediately after the Norman Conquest (1066). It was strategically sited in the south-east angle of the Roman city wall, just downstream from Old London Bridge, commanding open countryside to the east, the Thames and the bridge to the south, and the city to the north and west. By the end of the 13th century the outer wall enclosed an area of about 7 ha, which is roughly the present size of the castle. The huge stone donjon, later known as the White Tower, w…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Was on Calton Hill, a rocky outcrop to the east of Princes Street; the Governor’s House is the only surviving remnant of Calton jail (also known as Old Gaol or Bridewell.) At one time this was the largest prison in Scotland and until 1864, public executions were carried out on top of the building, watched by crowds below. The Jail, originally located below the Governor’s House, was demolished in the 1930s to make way for St. Andrews House.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Was on Calton Hill, a rocky outcrop to the east of Princes Street; the Governor’s House is the only surviving remnant of Calton jail (also known as Old Gaol or Bridewell.) At one time this was the largest prison in Scotland and until 1864, public executions were carried out on top of the building, watched by crowds below. The Jail, originally located below the Governor’s House, was demolished in the 1930s to make way for St. Andrews House.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public