Architectural Lantern Slides of United Kingdom

Collection Details Full Record
Parent Collection
Architectural Lantern Slides

Description

Lantern slides created in the United Kingdom during the late 19th or early 20th century. Image subjects include castles, churches, cathedrals, colleges, prisons, public buildings, and public squares. These lantern slides were intended for use in architectural pedagogy. Some images include persons and fashions of the time.

Creator

G. Massiot & cie

Subject

City walls

Castles

Churches

Bridges

Palaces

Abbeys

Arches

Museums

Colleges

Architecture

Spatial Coverage

Shrewsbury

Caernarfon

Kenilworth

United Kingdom

Cambridge

Oxford

London

Eton

Salisbury

Scotland

Glasgow

Windsor Castle

Ely

England

Edinburgh

York

Carlisle

Warwick

Rievaulx

Fountains Abbey

Windsor

Wollaton

Wales

Stirling

Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Collection: Architectural Lantern Slides of United Kingdom remove ×
Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    [This image is flopped. Mansion House should be on the left of the sculpture seen from the back.] The equestrian statue of the Duke of Wellington stands in front of the Exchange. Cast from the metal of guns taken from the French by Francis Chantry, 1844.

    Mansion House is a rare surviving Georgian town palace in London. It is the official residence of the Lord Mayor of London. Dance’s designs of 1735 show the influence of Colen Campbell’s Wanstead House, Essex, particularly in the gre…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The equestrian statue of the Duke of Wellington stands in front of the Exchange. Cast from the metal of guns taken from the French by Francis Chantry, 1844.

    The Royal Exchange in the City of London was founded in 1565 by Sir Thomas Gresham to act as a centre of commerce for the city. The site was provided by the City of London Corporation and the Worshipful Company of Mercers, and is trapezoidal, flanked by the converging streets of Cornhill and Threadneedle Street. The previous buildings on…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Trafalgar Square is a square in central London. In the 1820s the Prince Regent engaged the landscape architect John Nash to redevelop the area. Nash cleared the square as part of his Charing Cross Improvement Scheme. The present architecture of the square is due to Sir Charles Barry and was completed in 1845. At its centre is Nelson’s Column (1840-1843), which is guarded by four lion statues at its base. Statues and sculptures are on display in the square, including a fourth plinth now di…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public