Architectural Lantern Slides of Italy

Collection Details Full Record
Parent Collection
Architectural Lantern Slides

Description

Lantern slides created in Italy during the late 19th or early 20th century. Image subjects include arenas, basilicas, cathedrals, chapels, churches, fountains, gardens, loggias, public buildings, ruins, sculpture, tombs. These lantern slides were intended for use in architectural pedagogy. Some images include people and fashions of the time.

Creator

G. Massiot & cie

Subject

Theaters

Churches

Palaces

Fountains

Temples

City halls

Architecture

Monuments

Statues

Cathedral

Monasteries

Spatial Coverage

Siena

Agrigento

Florence

Pisa

Italy

Venice

Palermo

Ravenna

Vicenza

Padua

Tivoli

Pompeii

Vatican City

Perugia

Pistoia

Rome

Brescia

Mantua

Verona

Assisi

Naples

Bologna

Milan

Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Collection: Architectural Lantern Slides of Italy remove ×
Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Romanesque façade dates from ca. 1240 and was restored in 1910 by the architect Raffaele Faccioli.

    Church dedicated by Innocent IV in 1251 to St Dominic. It has been enlarged several times, and the present interiors are the work of Carlo Francesco Dotti, who remodelled (1728-1732) the church in the early 17th-century Bolognese style. It is notable chiefly as the home of the tomb of St Dominic, the Arca di S Domenico. The design of the tomb is generally credited to Nicola Pisano (now alte…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The facade was rebuilt (restored) after being devastated by an Allied bombing on July 19, 1943. The column is topped by St. Lawrence with his gridiron.

    The basilica of San Lorenzo fuori le Mura is one of the most important basilica churches and one of the Seven Pilgrim Churches of Rome. The basilica is the shrine tomb of the church’s namesake, Saint Lawrence, one of the first seven deacons of Rome martyred in 258. Pope Pius IX, awaiting canonization into sainthood, is also buried at the …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The original plan was conceived by Girolamo Rainaldi, continued by his son, Carlo Rainaldi, and completed, especially the facade and towers, by Borromini. “The church must be regarded as the High Baroque revision of the centralized plan for St. Peter’s. The dome of St. Agnese has a distinct place in a long line of domes dependent on Michelangelo’s creation - here dome and towers form a grand unit, perfectly balanced in scale. Never before had it been possible for a beholder to vi…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Originally part of a Greek or Roman quadriga, from Constantinople. They were taken by Napoleon, but returned in 1815. In the 1990’s the originals were moved inside to the museum and replaced with bronze copies.

    Studies by the excavator, Forlati, indicate that S Marco was a centrally planned, Greek-cross building from the start. The present building was begun ca. 1063 under Doge Domenico Contarini (reg 1043-1071), who wished it to reflect the increased power and wealth of Venice. He prese…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    [Almost totally rebuilt after a fire in 1823.] In addition to the standard basilicas, several major buildings were erected or decorated in Rome in the 5th century that exhibit a classicizing style and have thus been identified as part of a renaissance of Classical Roman architecture launched by Pope Sixtus III (reigned 432-440): these include S Paolo fuori le mura as decorated under Pope Leo I (reigned 440-461). The cloister dates from ca. 1205-1241. The Cosmati (traditional name for the marb…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Sarcophagus of Doge Michele Morosini (1308-1382) with a mosaic of the Crucifixion showing the Doge and his wife kneeling.

    The Basilica di San Giovanni e Paolo, known in the Venetian dialect as San Zanipolo, is one of the largest churches of Venice and has the status of a minor basilica. A huge brick edifice built in the Italian Gothic style, it is the principal Dominican church of Venice, and as such was built for preaching to large congregations. After the 15th century the funeral services …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Marian column, erected in 1614 to designs of Carlo Maderno, is the model for numerous Marian columns erected in Catholic countries in thanksgiving for remission of the plague during the Baroque era.

    Situated at the end of the Esquiline Hill and formerly known as S Maria ad Praesepem, S Maria Maggiore was traditionally founded by Pope Liberius (reigned 352-366) and financed by Johannes, a rich citizen, after a miraculous summer snowfall. It is more likely, however, that it was founded in …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    In 1630 Venice experienced an unusually devastating outbreak of the plague. As a votive offering for the city’s deliverance from the pestilence, the Republic of Venice vowed to build and dedicate a church to Our Lady of Health (or of Deliverance, Italian: Salute). The resulting domed church of S Maria della Salute, built at the junction of the Giudecca and Grand canals at the focal point of the city of Venice, occupied Longhena for more than 50 years and was consecrated after his death on…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Maderno’s first important independent commission in Rome was the renovation (1597-1603) of S Susanna. The interior (previously restored 1475-1477) was revised with an encrustation of stucco and painting on the walls and a coffered timber ceiling over the simple rectangular nave. For the new façade Maderno used the common Roman type of two storeys joined by volutes, but he combined the compositional clarity of Vignola’s unexecuted design for the façade of Il Gesù with the central conce…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Rome, Italy - Basilica di Santa Maria in Trastevere

    It is possibly the first church in Rome where Mass was celebrated openly. It was probably built by Pope Julius I (337-352), although tradition claims that it may have been built before 313, perhaps as early as soon after Pope Calixtus’ death in 222. It was rebuilt under Pope Innocent II (1138-1148), in the first years of his pontificate. He kept the basilical plan, at a time when the Gothic style was gaining popularity in Northern Europ…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Rome, Italy - Basilica di Santa Maria in Trastevere

    It is possibly the first church in Rome where Mass was celebrated openly. It was probably built by Pope Julius I (337-352), although tradition claims that it may have been built before 313, perhaps as early as soon after Pope Calixtus’ death in 222. It was rebuilt under Pope Innocent II (1138-1148), in the first years of his pontificate. He kept the basilical plan, at a time when the Gothic style was gaining popularity in Northern Europ…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The neo-Gothic marble façade, by Nicolò Matas, dates from 1857-1863. The statue on the left is of Dante Alighieri (1865 by Enrico Pazzi).

    [The Basilica is the largest Franciscan church in the world. It is the burial place of some of the most illustrious Italians, such as Michelangelo, Galileo, Machiavelli, Foscolo, Gentile, Rossini, and Marconi, thus it is known also as the Temple of the Italian Glories (Tempio dell'Itale Glorie). Additions made in 1560 by Giorgio Vasari; facade dates to…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public