Architectural Lantern Slides of Italy

Collection Details Full Record
Parent Collection
Architectural Lantern Slides

Description

Lantern slides created in Italy during the late 19th or early 20th century. Image subjects include arenas, basilicas, cathedrals, chapels, churches, fountains, gardens, loggias, public buildings, ruins, sculpture, tombs. These lantern slides were intended for use in architectural pedagogy. Some images include people and fashions of the time.

Creator

G. Massiot & cie

Subject

Theaters

Churches

Palaces

Fountains

Temples

City halls

Architecture

Monuments

Statues

Cathedral

Monasteries

Spatial Coverage

Siena

Agrigento

Florence

Pisa

Italy

Venice

Palermo

Ravenna

Vicenza

Padua

Tivoli

Pompeii

Vatican City

Perugia

Pistoia

Rome

Brescia

Mantua

Verona

Assisi

Naples

Bologna

Milan

Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Collection: Architectural Lantern Slides of Italy remove ×
Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    One of two colossal basins, completed 1725 by Agostino Cornacchini; this one is on the south side of the nave.

    Bramante was hired by Julius II to begin a radical reconstruction, to replace Old Saint Peter’s, and intensive planning by Bramante, Giuliano da Sangallo and Fra Giovanni Giocondo preceded the laying of the foundation stone on 18 April 1506. Since Bramante’s first designs of 1506, half a dozen architects had worked under five successive popes, all bringing their own revision…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The grand portal in the Piazza is surmounted by the city’s symbols, the griffin of Perugia and the Imperial Guelf lion, in bronze; the originals were probably cast in the Arsenal of Venice, in 1274, the first European bronze castings in the round achieved since Antiquity.

    Palazzo del Popolo (begun 1293), later the Palazzo dei Priori , has a remarkable frescoed hall, the Sala dei Notari. In Perugia the magistratura dei Priori, “magistrature of the first citizens”, was establishe…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Pope Julius II established the Belvedere sculpture garden behind the Vatican Palace. The Museo Pio Clementino was constructed by Michelangelo Simonetti, to take the Belvedere sculptures into a new display and to make room for the frantic new collecting of antiquities on which the papacy embarked, which soon required the additional accommodation of the Galleria dei Candelabri. Once the papacy was committed to centralized conservation, the collections rapidly expanded in the form of different m…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    [Almost totally rebuilt after a fire in 1823.] In addition to the standard basilicas, several major buildings were erected or decorated in Rome in the 5th century that exhibit a classicizing style and have thus been identified as part of a renaissance of Classical Roman architecture launched by Pope Sixtus III (reigned 432-440): these include S Paolo fuori le mura as decorated under Pope Leo I (reigned 440-461). The cloister dates from ca. 1205-1241. The Cosmati (traditional name for the marb…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    A villa on Lake Como. It was built for the Milanese marquis Giorgio Clerici in 1690. An Italian garden, with steps, fountains and sculptures was laid out at the same time. The architect who designed the villa is unknown. It was completed in 1745, and remained in the hands of marquis Clerici until 1795, when it passed by marriage to the banker and Napoleonic politician Giambattista Sommariva, who added a pediment and clock. In 1843, it was given as a wedding present by Princess Marianna of Pru…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    In 1630 Venice experienced an unusually devastating outbreak of the plague. As a votive offering for the city’s deliverance from the pestilence, the Republic of Venice vowed to build and dedicate a church to Our Lady of Health (or of Deliverance, Italian: Salute). The resulting domed church of S Maria della Salute, built at the junction of the Giudecca and Grand canals at the focal point of the city of Venice, occupied Longhena for more than 50 years and was consecrated after his death on…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Organ Fountain was famous for the hydraulic-pneumatic technology that made this water-and-air-powered musical fountain possible in the 16th century. It was recently cleaned and restored so it again produces sound.

    Villa on the edge of the town, famous for its fine gardens with their spectacular fountains and waterworks. In 1550 Ippolito II d'Este (i), Cardinal of Ferrara, was appointed governor of Tivoli. He decided to transform the governor’s residence located in a portion of an…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The system by which water is conveyed to the park (1753-1769) is one of the greatest technical achievements of the 18th century; 42 km long, it includes a spectacular aqueduct, the Archi della Valle, of antique proportions (528 m length x 60 m height).

    Constructed for the Bourbon kings of Naples. It was the largest palace and one of the largest buildings erected in Europe during the 18th century, “the swan song of the Baroque period.” The Bourbon king Charles VII of Naples (from 17…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    A public water fountain that sits opposite the Duomo in the square. It has an octagonal base with three concentric steps and a central column with two tiered basins. At the four corners are columns with additional water spouts. It is decorated with putti, tritons, and fantastic animals including a sea horse, and a female centaur.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    In 1630 Venice experienced an unusually devastating outbreak of the plague. As a votive offering for the city’s deliverance from the pestilence, the Republic of Venice vowed to build and dedicate a church to Our Lady of Health (or of Deliverance, Italian: Salute). The resulting domed church of S Maria della Salute, built at the junction of the Giudecca and Grand canals at the focal point of the city of Venice, occupied Longhena for more than 50 years and was consecrated after his death on…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The system by which water is conveyed to the park (1753-1769) is one of the greatest technical achievements of the 18th century; 42 km long, it includes a spectacular aqueduct, the Archi della Valle, of antique proportions (528 m length x 60 m height).

    Constructed for the Bourbon kings of Naples. It was the largest palace and one of the largest buildings erected in Europe during the 18th century, “the swan song of the Baroque period.” The Bourbon king Charles VII of Naples (from 17…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Giovanni and Bartolomeo Bon created the Porta della Carta (1438-1442), a monumental Late Gothic gate on the Piazzetta side of the palace. This gate leads to a central courtyard. Above the cornice, Francesco Foscari (Doge when the gateway was built) is shown kneeling before the Lion of St. Mark.

    “The Doge’s Palace, Venice, has façades which date from 1309-1424, designed by Giovanni and Bartolomeo Buon. [Bono] The palace, started in the ninth century, several times rebuilt, and comple…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public