Architectural Lantern Slides of Italy

Collection Details Full Record
Parent Collection
Architectural Lantern Slides

Description

Lantern slides created in Italy during the late 19th or early 20th century. Image subjects include arenas, basilicas, cathedrals, chapels, churches, fountains, gardens, loggias, public buildings, ruins, sculpture, tombs. These lantern slides were intended for use in architectural pedagogy. Some images include people and fashions of the time.

Creator

G. Massiot & cie

Subject

Theaters

Churches

Palaces

Fountains

Temples

City halls

Architecture

Monuments

Statues

Cathedral

Monasteries

Spatial Coverage

Siena

Agrigento

Florence

Pisa

Italy

Venice

Palermo

Ravenna

Vicenza

Padua

Tivoli

Pompeii

Vatican City

Perugia

Pistoia

Rome

Brescia

Mantua

Verona

Assisi

Naples

Bologna

Milan

Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Collection: Architectural Lantern Slides of Italy remove ×
Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Romanesque façade dates from ca. 1240 and was restored in 1910 by the architect Raffaele Faccioli.

    Church dedicated by Innocent IV in 1251 to St Dominic. It has been enlarged several times, and the present interiors are the work of Carlo Francesco Dotti, who remodelled (1728-1732) the church in the early 17th-century Bolognese style. It is notable chiefly as the home of the tomb of St Dominic, the Arca di S Domenico. The design of the tomb is generally credited to Nicola Pisano (now alte…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Pope Julius II established the Belvedere sculpture garden behind the Vatican Palace. The Museo Pio Clementino was constructed by Michelangelo Simonetti, to take the Belvedere sculptures into a new display and to make room for the frantic new collecting of antiquities on which the papacy embarked, which soon required the additional accommodation of the Galleria dei Candelabri. Once the papacy was committed to centralized conservation, the collections rapidly expanded in the form of different m…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    In 1535, Pope Clement VII allocated the toll income of the bridge to erecting the statues of the apostles saint Peter and Saint Paul.

    The famous Ponte Sant'Angelo (pedestrians only), the ancient Pons Aelius or Pons Adrianus, was built by Emperor Hadrian in 134 AD as a fitting approach from the Campus Martius to his mausoleum, known since the Middle Ages as the Castel Sant'Angelo. Although the Roman bridge was decorated with statues, it was transformed by Gian Lorenzo Bernini when he …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Michelangelo carved the Moses circa 1515. Dimensions of Moses: 92.5 in. height; width at base at front 37.5 in. Depicting Moses with ‘horns’ was a convention of Christian iconography, and probably due to a mistranslation of a biblical description of rays of light radiating from his head.

    Sandro Fancelli, Raffaello da Montelupo, Tommaso di Pietro Boscoli, Jacopo del Duca helped complete the sculpture. The arrangement seen today in San Pietro is a fragment of the original plan. The fou…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Sandro Fancelli, Raffaello da Montelupo, Tommaso di Pietro Boscoli, Jacopo del Duca helped complete the sculpture. The arrangement seen today in San Pietro is a fragment of the original plan. The four Slaves are now in the Accademia, Florence and two Captive figures are in the Louvre, Paris. “The seemingly perfect match between an ambitious pontiff and an ambitious artist was disastrous for Michelangelo’s career in one respect: until 1545 his life was dominated by repeated failures t…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The center three spans are original Roman.

    The famous Ponte Sant'Angelo (pedestrians only), the ancient Pons Aelius or Pons Adrianus, was built by Emperor Hadrian in 134 AD as a fitting approach from the Campus Martius to his mausoleum, known since the Middle Ages as the Castel Sant'Angelo. Although the Roman bridge was decorated with statues, it was transformed by Gian Lorenzo Bernini when he designed the ten statues on the balustrade of angels holding the symbols of the Passion. Th…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The 349 ft spire is known as Guglietto dell'Amadeo (“Amadeo’s Little Spire”), constructed 1507-1510.

    The Gothic cathedral took five centuries to complete and is the fourth-largest church in the world. In 1386, Archbishop Antonio da Saluzzo began construction in a rayonnant Late Gothic style more typically French than Italian. There is a long list of master builders who served as head of the Fabbrica del Duomo (created 1387), beginning with Simone da Orsenigo. The Fabbrica e…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The nineteenth-century rear façade (not the curved Baroque facade) of the Palazzo Carignano facing on Piazza Carlo Alberto.

    Guarini’s most renowned achievement in secular architecture is the Palazzo Carignano in Turin. The palace was originally designed to have four wings around a large courtyard, but it was completed in 1683 as an open three-winged composition; decorating and finishing continued well into the 18th century. It is most noted for the curved facade. The facade of the centra…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The villa became noted for its collection of art, especially 19th century sculpture with works of Canova and Thorvaldsen.

    A villa on Lake Como. It was built for the Milanese marquis Giorgio Clerici in 1690. An Italian garden, with steps, fountains and sculptures was laid out at the same time. The architect who designed the villa is unknown. It was completed in 1745, and remained in the hands of marquis Clerici until 1795, when it passed by marriage to the banker and Napoleonic politician Gia…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Organ Fountain was famous for the hydraulic-pneumatic technology that made this water-and-air-powered musical fountain possible in the 16th century. It was recently cleaned and restored so it again produces sound.

    Villa on the edge of the town, famous for its fine gardens with their spectacular fountains and waterworks. In 1550 Ippolito II d'Este (i), Cardinal of Ferrara, was appointed governor of Tivoli. He decided to transform the governor’s residence located in a portion of an…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The park was laid out in 1780 by King Ferdinand IV (later known as Ferdinand I of the Two Sicilies) on land reclaimed along the coast between the main body of the city and the small port of Mergellina. It was a Royal Garden opened to the public in 1869.

    Giovanni Battista Vico (1668-1744) spent most of his professional life as Professor of Rhetoric at the University of Naples. He was trained in jurisprudence, but read widely in Classics, philology, and philosophy, all of which informed his hi…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The neo-Gothic marble façade, by Nicolò Matas, dates from 1857-1863. The statue on the left is of Dante Alighieri (1865 by Enrico Pazzi).

    [The Basilica is the largest Franciscan church in the world. It is the burial place of some of the most illustrious Italians, such as Michelangelo, Galileo, Machiavelli, Foscolo, Gentile, Rossini, and Marconi, thus it is known also as the Temple of the Italian Glories (Tempio dell'Itale Glorie). Additions made in 1560 by Giorgio Vasari; facade dates to…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public