Architectural Lantern Slides of France

Collection Details Full Record
Parent Collection
Architectural Lantern Slides

Description

Lantern slides created in France during the late 19th or early 20th century. Image subjects include churches and cathedrals, castles, palaces, public buildings, bridges, sculpture, artifacts taken from other countries, and street scenes. These lantern slides were intended for use in architectural pedagogy. Some images include people and fashions of the time.

Creator

G. Massiot & cie

Subject

Bridges

Theaters

Mosques

Windmills

Architecture

Abbeys

Churches

Cathedrals

Fountains

Statues

Hotels

Castles

City Halls

Historical gardens

Palaces

Spatial Coverage

Amiens

Paris

Laon

Bourg-en-Bresse

Fontainebleau

Bayeux

Blois

Limoges

France

Mont-Saint-Michel

Strasbourg

Chartres

Versailles

Vézelay

Chantilly

Rouen

Arles

Saint-Denis

Caen

Dijon

Bourges

Reims

Chambord

Avignon

Chenonceaux

Périgueux

Parc de Saint-Cloud

Tours

Compiègne

Vincennes

Angoulême

Poitiers

Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Collection: Architectural Lantern Slides of France remove × Type of Work: Image remove ×
Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Located in the crypt of the Pasteur Museum, Paris. The sarcophagus is made of green Swedish marble, and is surrounded by a mosaic floor depicting branches of oak and laurel. The crypt and its chapel were constructed under the principal building of the Institut Pasteur.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    In 1896 Girault built a crypt at the Institut Pasteur, Paris, to receive the ashes of the famous scientist Louis Pasteur. He modelled it on the 5th-century Mausoleum of Galla Placidia in Ravenna and adorned it with marble and mosaics. The Institut Pasteur was founded in 1887 by Louis Pasteur, the French scientist whose early experiments with fermentation led to pioneering research in bacteriology. A giant in science, Pasteur discovered the principle of sterilization which came to be known as …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    In 1896 Girault built a crypt at the Institut Pasteur, Paris, to receive the ashes of the famous scientist Louis Pasteur. He modelled it on the 5th-century Mausoleum of Galla Placidia in Ravenna and adorned it with marble and mosaics. The Institut Pasteur was founded in 1887 by Louis Pasteur, the French scientist whose early experiments with fermentation led to pioneering research in bacteriology. A giant in science, Pasteur discovered the principle of sterilization which came to be known as …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The original is in Nantes Cathedral. Large scale plaster cast collections (such as the Cast Court of the Victoria and Albert Museum) were very popular ca. 1870-1910.

    The construction of the cathedral began in 1434, on the site of a Romanesque cathedral, and took 457 years to finish, finally reaching completion in 1891. The first architect in charge was Guillaume de Dammartin who was later replaced by Mathurin Rodier. The construction began with the west façade, the aisles of the nave and its…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Center circle is top of sunken rotunda with Napoleon’s tomb below. In 1676 he was commissioned to build the church of the Hôtel des Invalides, after Libéral Bruand, who designed the rest of the complex, failed to produce a satisfactory scheme. For this almost monastic establishment for disabled soldiers, Hardouin Mansart created a bipartite building: the first part [Église St-Louis], a nine-bay nave for the pensioners, has a barrel vault and side aisles with tribunes opening through flatt…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Musée de l'Arles antique (Musée de l'Arles et de la Provence antiques) is the repository for the sarcophagi from Les Alyscamps. The Sarcophagi range from Roman era, to Early Christian (especially mid 4th century), but late finds date from the 9th and 10th century as well.

    Originally a Greek settlement, Arles was refounded with the name Arelate in 46 BCE by Julius Caesar as a colony for army veterans. Christianity was established by Bishop Trophimus in the late 3rd century CE. Les Aly…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The church used to have a reliquary which contained bone from the saint’s right arm. It has been stolen. (Cited: Fr John Rybolt CM).

    Built when the saint was a village priest, 1612-1625. Vincent de Paul rebuilt the parish church with the money of parishioners and community leaders from 1622 to 1630. In 1617 he founded, with the wealthy ladies of the city, the Ladies of Charity to help the poor. In 1623, he founded the Society of the Daughters of Charity, which later took the name “D…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Former Benedictine priory church, dedicated to St Nicholas of Tolentino, near Bourg-en-Bresse, Burgundy, France. Situated on an important road linking the northern provinces with Italy, the church was built by Margaret of Austria, who secured the services of artists from the south Netherlands, Burgundy, Italy and France. It is notable for its surviving rood screen and richly carved choir-stalls (1530-1532), executed by Pierre Berchod (called Terrasson). Margaret, her third husband Philibert I…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The tomb of Margaret of Bourbon is related to a widespread late medieval type: her effigy, watched by angels, lies on a sarcophagus decorated with weepers, with a greyhound (symbol of fidelity) at her feet, the whole fitted into a recess in the south wall of the choir screen.

    Former Benedictine priory church, dedicated to St Nicholas of Tolentino, near Bourg-en-Bresse, Burgundy, France. Situated on an important road linking the northern provinces with Italy, the church was built by Margaret …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The base of the effigy (gisant) has now been replaced with a plain block. Richard’s heart is buried here, his body is at Fontevraud Abbey in Anjou.

    The present building comprises an aisled nave of 11 bays, with a series of aisle chapels, and an apsidal choir with an ambulatory and three spaced radiating chapels. The substantial transept arms are aisled on both sides, with large eastern chapels, and developed portals flanked by towers. A massive lantern tower lights the crossing. The two …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    This has been attributed to Jean Goujon. However, the marble sculptures on the tomb (1544) of Louis de Brézé, husband of Diane de Poitiers, do not correspond to Goujon’s style in execution; it is possible that he provided only the design for this remarkable two-storey classical structure, which has Corinthian columns on the lower tier and pairs of caryatids articulating the upper register.

    The present building comprises an aisled nave of 11 bays, with a series of aisle chapels, and an ap…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    This statue has been moved from the crypt to a side chapel of the nave and assembled into one monument to Louis XVI and Marie-Antoinette.

    The change during the Renaissance in attitudes towards the affirmation of the individual is reflected in the later royal tombs at Saint-Denis. As with the medieval tombs, some were commissioned for the abbey, while others were brought in at a later date from their original places in various Paris churches, having been dismantled during the Revolution and r…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public