Architectural Lantern Slides of France

Collection Details Full Record
Parent Collection
Architectural Lantern Slides

Description

Lantern slides created in France during the late 19th or early 20th century. Image subjects include churches and cathedrals, castles, palaces, public buildings, bridges, sculpture, artifacts taken from other countries, and street scenes. These lantern slides were intended for use in architectural pedagogy. Some images include people and fashions of the time.

Creator

G. Massiot & cie

Subject

Bridges

Theaters

Mosques

Windmills

Architecture

Abbeys

Churches

Cathedrals

Fountains

Statues

Hotels

Castles

City Halls

Historical gardens

Palaces

Spatial Coverage

Amiens

Paris

Laon

Bourg-en-Bresse

Fontainebleau

Bayeux

Blois

Limoges

France

Mont-Saint-Michel

Strasbourg

Chartres

Versailles

Vézelay

Chantilly

Rouen

Arles

Saint-Denis

Caen

Dijon

Bourges

Reims

Chambord

Avignon

Chenonceaux

Périgueux

Parc de Saint-Cloud

Tours

Compiègne

Vincennes

Angoulême

Poitiers

Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Collection: Architectural Lantern Slides of France remove ×
Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    A government building located in Paris, the seat of the French National Assembly. The Palace was originally built in 1722 for Louise Françoise de Bourbon as a country residence surrounded by gardens. In 1768 Louis Joseph, Prince of Condé built a neoclassical palace. After the Revolution, the Council of Five Hundred was given the Palais Bourbon when the palace was redesigned for government use.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Originally built (1615-1645) to be the royal residence of the the regent Marie de’ Medici, After the Revolution it was refashioned (1799-1805) into a legislative building. It was subsequently greatly enlarged and remodeled (1835-1856) and has been the seat of the Senate of the Fifth Republic since 1958.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Fountain in Paris, France.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Saint Michael’s Church (Église Saint-Michel de Pont-l'Évêque), a Catholic church, was built between 1480-1530 in the late Gothic style. The church was badly damaged in 1944 but is being restored.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    A large medieval abbey church in the city Saint-Denis, now a northern suburb of Paris. Its choir, completed in 1144, shows the first use of all of the elements of Gothic architecture. Both stylistically and structurally, the Basilica heralded the change from Romanesque architecture to Gothic architecture. The basilica became a place of pilgrimage and the burial place of the French Kings with nearly every king from the 10th to the 18th centuries being buried there, as well as many from previou…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    A Catholic cathedral in Strasbourg, Alsace, France. Although considerable parts of it are still in Romanesque architecture, it is widely considered to be among the finest examples of high, or late, Gothic architecture. Today it is the sixth-tallest church in the world and the highest extant structure built entirely in the Middle Ages.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Of Romanesque origin, the church was rebuilt in the 15th and 16th centuries with a bell tower with a campanile and a main paneled nave with exposed carpentry.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    A massive 14th and 17th century French royal fortress in the town of Vincennes. It had its origins in a hunting lodge and was greatly enlarged, replacing the earlier site, in the later 14th century. It has been a royal residence, a dungeon and is the only fortified château close to central Paris.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Louis XVI made considerable alterations to Fontainebleau (1785), including the addition of his own Petits Appartements and the redecoration of two of the rooms of his queen-consort, Marie-Antoinette. He ordered the sumptuous meuble d'été, which is today in her bedchamber. The Salon de Jeu, designed by Richard Mique, was in the fashionable Pompeian style.

    In April 1528 Francis I commissioned Gilles Le Breton for a programme of building (completed 1540) at Fontainebleau. The Cour de l’…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The free-standing chapel of Anet, built to the left of the cour d'honneur in 1549-1552, is designed on a centralized Greek cross floor plan under a diagonally-coffered dome. Its facade has a porch of widely-spaced paired Ionic columns between towers crowned by pyramidal spires.

    French 16th-century château approximately 75 km west of Paris, in the département of Eure-et-Loire. In 1546 Diane de Poitiers began to build a modest house in the village of Anet; it underwent considerable and mag…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Order took its name from that of the mountainous site of the mother house at La Grande Chartreuse in the diocese of Grenoble (Isère). The Order has never been reformed; such continuity over more than 900 years is unique. The way of life of the first Carthusians, characterized by total dedication to contemplation through silence, assiduous prayer, poverty, penance and almost continuous occupancy of a solitary cell, impressed contemporaries with its novelty. The Carthusian vision could not …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The remains of a castle in the commune of Beaucaire. The existing structures date primarily from the 12th and 16th centuries. First built in the 11th century; it was a possession of the Counts of Toulouse from 1125. It was torn down in 1632 on Cardinal Richelieu’s orders. It used to be protected by a wall, the trace of which can still be followed. It includes a strange polygonal tower perched on a rocky spur, the façades dominating the sheer drop, and a fine round corner tower. Once insid…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01