Architectural Lantern Slides of Italy

Collection Details Full Record
Parent Collection
Architectural Lantern Slides

Description

Lantern slides created in Italy during the late 19th or early 20th century. Image subjects include arenas, basilicas, cathedrals, chapels, churches, fountains, gardens, loggias, public buildings, ruins, sculpture, tombs. These lantern slides were intended for use in architectural pedagogy. Some images include people and fashions of the time.

Creator

G. Massiot & cie

Subject

Theaters

Churches

Palaces

Fountains

Temples

City halls

Architecture

Monuments

Statues

Cathedral

Monasteries

Spatial Coverage

Siena

Agrigento

Florence

Pisa

Italy

Venice

Palermo

Ravenna

Vicenza

Padua

Tivoli

Pompeii

Vatican City

Perugia

Pistoia

Rome

Brescia

Mantua

Verona

Assisi

Naples

Bologna

Milan

Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Collection: Architectural Lantern Slides of Italy remove ×
Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    A fountain in the Piazza Navona in Rome, Italy. It was designed in 1651 by Gian Lorenzo Bernini for Pope Innocent X. The base of the fountain is a basin from the center of which travertine rocks rise to support four river gods and above them, a copy of an Egyptian obelisk surmounted with the Pamphili family emblem of a dove with an olive twig. Collectively, they represent four major rivers of the four continents through which papal authority had spread.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    A titular minor basilica in the Trastevere district of Rome. It is one of the oldest churches of Rome. The basic floor plan and wall structure of the church date back to the 340s, and much of the structure to 1140-43.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Villa Belvedere was built by Innocent VIII on the high ground overlooking old St Peter’s Basilica, in 1484. The villa is now obscured by a two-storey palace. There are two long wings that connect the Apostolic Palace with the Belvedere Palace. The Belvedere Palace was built as the Villa Belvedere and now accomodates part of the Vatican Museums’ collection.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Apostolic Palace is the official residence of the pope, the head of the Catholic Church, located in Vatican City. Pope Sixtus V built most of the present form of the palace in the 16th century.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Rotunda Room of the Vatican Museum, built by Michelangelo Simonetti during the pontificate of Pope Pius VI in the late 18th century, is modeled after the Pantheon, including an oculus in the ceiling and decorative rosettes in each of the niches in the dome.The floor is made up of intricately designed mosaics from around the 2nd century, having been used to decorate an ancient Roman villa. The walls carry a series of niches for displaying colossal statues, between which are half-columns wh…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    A Roman Catholic church. A church existed on the site by the 12th century but it was rebuilt and enlarged in the 16th century. The Baroque façade was built in 1613 and the bell tower completed in 1738. The Loggia del Papa, adjacent to the church, is a 15th-century Renaissance architecture, open-air arcade.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The monument is the most ancient papal monument in St. Peter’s Basilica, Rome. It is the work of Antonio and Piero Pollaiuolo, completed in 1498. The monument is made up of two parts: an effigy of Innocent VIII lying on his tomb and an image of him seated on a throne. In the latter, the pope holds the metal tip of the lance that pierced the side of Christ, one of the many holy relics that the basilica houses.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    A palace situated along the Grand Canal in Venice, Italy. It was built in the second half of the 15th Century by the Bembo family, The palace was renovated, modified and extended over the following centuries, finally taking on its current aspect in the 18th Century. The façade of Palazzo Pisani Moretta is an example of Venetian Gothic floral style.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The “monumental cemetery” or “old cemetery” in Pisa at the northern edge of the Cathedral Square. The name can literally be translated as “Holy Field” because it is said to have been built around a shipload of sacred soil from Golgotha, brought back to Pisa from the Third Crusade. The burial ground lies over the ruins of the old baptistery of the church of Santa Reparata. The building was the fourth and last one to be raised in the Cathedral Square. Construction …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    A 17th century church in Rome, Italy, devoted to St. Catherine of Siena. The first church was first built ca. 1575 and originally belonged to an adjacent convent. Construction of the present church began in 1608. The present facade was completed between 1631-1641.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The fountain is probably located in the Temple of Saturn, an ancient Roman temple to the god Saturn. The ruins stand at the foot of the Capitoline Hill in Rome. The original dedication of the temple is traditionally dated to 497 BC. The temple was completely reconstructed by Munatius Plancus in 42 BC. The present ruins represent the third phase of the Temple of Saturn, which was built after a fire in 360 AD.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    A seventeenth-century fountain in Rome, Italy, by the Baroque sculptor Gian Lorenzo Bernini. Commissioned by his patron, Pope Urban VIII, the fountain is located in the Piazza Barberini, near the entrance to the Palazzo Barberini.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public