Architectural Lantern Slides of Netherlands

Collection Details Full Record
Parent Collection
Architectural Lantern Slides

Description

Lantern slides created in the Netherlands during the late 19th or early 20th century. Image subjects include cathedrals, churches, marketplaces, public buildings, and windmills. These lantern slides were intended for use in architectural pedagogy. Some images include people and fashions of the time.

Creator

G. Massiot & cie

Subject

Architecture

Universities

Palaces

Mills

City halls

Churches

Cathedrals

Spatial Coverage

Amsterdam

Utrecht

The Hague

Netherlands

Rotterdam

Haarlem

Nijmegen

Delft

Leyden

Muiden

Dordrecht

Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Collection: Architectural Lantern Slides of Netherlands remove ×
Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Count Floris V built a stone castle at the mouth of the Vecht river in 1280. The castle was used to enforce a toll on the trade route. It was a relatively small castle, measuring 32 by 35 meters with brick walls well over 1.5 meters thick. A large moat surrounds the castle, accessed by a drawbridge. In 1370, the castle was rebuilt on the same spot based on the same plan, by Albrecht, Duke of Bavaria, who at that time was also the Count of Holland and Zeeland. In the 16th century P.C. Hooft (1…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Originally the Catholic cathedral, after the Reformation it became a Protestant church (1572). A stone cube was added to the tower, which proved too heavy for the foundation in 1650. New piles were driven under the tower and in 1655 the tower stood straight again. This basilica was the first all stone building in Rotterdam. It is the only remnant of the medieval city of Rotterdam to survive the bombings of WWII. After heavy damage in the bombing, there was controversy over rebuilding with arc…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    In 1251 fire destroyed part of the 11th-century cathedral. Rebuilding started after 1288, but a plan had already been made in 1254. The choir is heavily influenced by French Rayonnant churches. About 1315 the transepts were reached, but not built. Between 1321 and 1381 a single tower 112 m high was erected to the west of the old Romanesque nave. The Gothic transepts and the nave were built during the 15th century and early 16th, but the nave collapsed during the storm of 1674 and was never re…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    In 1614 the States General commissioned Hendrik de Keyser to design a funerary monument for William the Silent, Prince of Orange for the Nieuwe Kerk in Delft (in situ). Completed in 1621, this is de Keyser’s best-known work and also the most important piece of sculpture of his period. The terracotta model (Amsterdam, Rijksmus.) was ready as early as 1614. The white marble figure on the tomb lies under a canopy of black-and-white marble, at the corners of which are four allegorical bronze …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Onze-Lieve-Vrouwe-Kerk (Church of Our Lady) or simply the Grote Kerk (Big or Great Church) was built between 1285 and 1470 (rebuilt after a fire in 1457). The 65-meter tower contains a carillon with 67 bells including one weighing 9830 kilos, making it the heaviest bell in the Netherlands. Construction of the tower began in 1339. Inside the church are Renaissance choir-stalls made between 1538 and 1542 by a group of woodcarvers from the circle of Jan Terwen. Panels on the stalls depict al…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The 16th century city hall in Nijmegen is on the main Burchtstraat, which is the street heading west from the Grote Markt Damaged in the bombings of World War II, it was restored in 1953, when the paintings of the gable were restored. The exterior is decorated with statues of leaders and rulers of Nijmegen, including the Roman emperor Trajan (Nijmegen is a former Roman site). It is Renaissance with Dutch details like a stepped gable and bulbous-domed cupola. It is no longer used as the city h…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    At the end of the 16th century urban administration had expanded so much that a new town hall was required. The Flemish architect Lieven de Key, who served Haarlem as municipal architect, designed a new façade in 1594 (restored after a fire in 1929). The facade still stands but the rest of the building was redesigned and rebuilt in 1932 by architect CJ Blaauw. At that time the new plaza, the Stadhuisplein, was created.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    A Rijksmonument located on Aalmarkt street, designed by Pieter Post around 1657 and opened in 1659. For centuries, merchants came here to weigh and trade a variety of goods. The facade sculpture depicting the scales is by Rombout Verhulst. The weigh house was in use as an actual weigh house until 1972. It is now a civic building for concerts and exhibits.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    A Protestant church in Leiden, located at the Lange Mare and the Oude Vest canal. The brick church was designed by the city architect Arentsz van ‘sGravesande in 1639-1649. It is an early example of an octagonal domed church. The main entrance (in stone) was designed by Jacob van Campen in 1659.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Nieuwe Kerk

    The town council was a constantly active patron. During 1649-1656 the large, centralized Protestant Nieuwe Kerk was built by the city architect, Pieter Arensz. Noorwits, and Bartholomeus Cornelisz. van Bassen as part of a project to modernize an overcrowded industrial and harbour area. The ground-plan of the freestanding church consists of a rectangle with two apses against each of the long sides and one against each short side, thus creating a “preaching” church with a…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Visible to the right is an arched office bridge between the old and new buildings (HGB I, not visible and HGB II).

    Because of its central location, Utrecht is an important transportation hub. Utrecht is the center of the Dutch railroad network and the location of the head office of the Nederlandse Spoorwegen (Dutch Railways). This building is the second headquarters (now known as HGB II), built by Jacob F. Klinkhamer (later professor at the Delft Polytechnic), a student of Gugel, working in …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    In 1251 fire destroyed part of the 11th-century cathedral. Rebuilding started after 1288, but a plan had already been made in 1254. The choir is heavily influenced by French Rayonnant churches. About 1315 the transepts were reached, but not built. Between 1321 and 1381 a single tower 112 m high was erected to the west of the old Romanesque nave. The Gothic transepts and the nave were built during the 15th century and early 16th, but the nave collapsed during the storm of 1674 and was never re…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01