Hesburgh Libraries General Collection

Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Department or Unit: Hesburgh Libraries General Collection remove × Collection: Architectural Lantern Slides of Spain remove ×
Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The palaces of the Alhambra and Generalife form the most important architectural ensemble to survive from the Nasrid period (1232–1492). The walled Alhambra city which sits on a steep hill, comprised the Alcazaba (alqaṣaba: ‘fortress’), palaces, mansions, two mosques, baths (ḥammams), an industrial zone with tanneries, a mint, kilns, workshops, and some adjacent royal estates such as the Generalife. The Generalife was built on ascending terraces. The sovereign reached the Generalife&#…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The palaces of the Alhambra and Generalife form the most important architectural ensemble to survive from the Nasrid period (1232–1492). The walled Alhambra city which sits on a steep hill, comprised the Alcazaba (alqaṣaba: ‘fortress’), palaces, mansions, two mosques, baths (ḥammams), an industrial zone with tanneries, a mint, kilns, workshops, and some adjacent royal estates such as the Generalife. The Generalife was built on ascending terraces. The sovereign reached the Generalife&#…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The palaces of the Alhambra and Generalife form the most important architectural ensemble to survive from the Nasrid period (1232–1492). The walled Alhambra city which sits on a steep hill, comprised the Alcazaba (alqaṣaba: ‘fortress’), palaces, mansions, two mosques, baths (ḥammams), an industrial zone with tanneries, a mint, kilns, workshops, and some adjacent royal estates such as the Generalife. The Generalife was built on ascending terraces. The sovereign reached the Generalife&#…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    A chapel dedicated to Mary had existed since the early Christian era. By the time of the Aragonese conquest the shrine of the Virgin of the Pillar was an important magnet for pilgrims Indulgences for the embellishment of the shrine were sold as far afield as Germany and Greece in 1297, and most Aragonese monarchs until Philip II of Spain (1556-1598) made bequests. Damián Forment made the main retable (from 1509). The particular devotion of Charles II (reigned 1665-1700) to Nuestra Señora del …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Dar al-Imara (913-914), the original nucleus of the Alcázar, was built over the old basilica by the Umayyad ruler Abd al-Rahman III (reg 912-961) and was enlarged in the 11th century by a series of fortified walls extending towards the west, which resulted in a new palace complex called Alcázar al-Mubarak, or El Bendito. After the Reconquista the Alcázar became the favourite residence of the monarchs of Castile. Peter the Cruel (reigned 1350-1369) substantially rebuilt (1364-1366) the Alc…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Dar al-Imara (913-914), the original nucleus of the Alcázar, was built over the old basilica by the Umayyad ruler Abd al-Rahman III (reg 912-961) and was enlarged in the 11th century by a series of fortified walls extending towards the west, which resulted in a new palace complex called Alcázar al-Mubarak, or El Bendito. After the Reconquista the Alcázar became the favourite residence of the monarchs of Castile. Peter the Cruel (reigned 1350-1369) substantially rebuilt (1364-1366) the Alc…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Dar al-Imara (913-914), the original nucleus of the Alcázar, was built over the old basilica by the Umayyad ruler Abd al-Rahman III (reg 912-961) and was enlarged in the 11th century by a series of fortified walls extending towards the west, which resulted in a new palace complex called Alcázar al-Mubarak, or El Bendito. After the Reconquista the Alcázar became the favourite residence of the monarchs of Castile. Peter the Cruel (reigned 1350-1369) substantially rebuilt (1364-1366) the Alc…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The oldest of the church’s façades, the so-called Saint Joseph façade, was built in 1480 in a style very much inspired by the Flemish. The main façade is a robust Baroque tower, the upper part of which supports a spire covered with azulejos (tile). In the choir, the altarpiece is an extraordinary late Renaissance piece, created by Martínez Montañés with Baroque elements attributed to Juan de Arce. The Baroque-style Chapel of the Holy Sacrament backs onto the wall of the church. It was dec…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Next to the Basilica of Saint John of God is the Hospital which has been caring for the sick since 1552. In the 18th century the Hospital was extended, creating the second cloister, and covering some rooms and the main staircase that links the two cloisters with decorative diversity: tiled borders, wall paintings, polychrome marble and the Mudejar style truss of its roof. Juan Ciudad Duarte, later canonized as San Juan de Dios, came to Granada as an itinerant bookseller in 1536 after spending…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Heavily ornamented in the Churrigueresque style. The tabernacle and elaborate decorations of the Sagrario were executed in polychrome marble, jasper and porphyry. Hurtado Izquierdo began his career making retables.

    When Hurtado Izquierdo took over direction of the Sagrario of the Cartuja (1702-1720), work had already started on the walls and the base of the tabernacle. He added two lateral chapels at a lower level to strengthen the fabric, and he introduced oculi near the floor to allow a vi…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Both the tombs (begun 1489) and the magnificent high altar retable (retablo) were the work of Gil de Siloé, the father of Diego de Siloé. The Gothic choir stalls are the work of Martín Sánchez.

    Around 1440 Bishop Alonso de Cartagena (reigned 1415-1456) brought Juan de Colonia to Burgos. He worked at the cathedral and in 1454 began the church of the Carthusian monastery of Miraflores, which lies 3 km east of Burgos. The church, with a single-cell, five-bay nave and polygonal, star-vaulted aps…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The portal incorporates Mudéjar motifs and is framed by the knotted cord that gives the palace its name. The cord symbolized the girdle of St. Francis.

    The noble family of Velasco had a town palace in Burgos, the Casa del Cordón. Begun in 1482, it was a royal residence from the time of Ferdinand and Isabella until the mid-18th century. Pedro Fernández de Velasco, the 2nd Conde, became the Constable of Castile, the first of his line. (He founded the chapel of Purification in Burgos Cathedral,…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public