Hesburgh Libraries

Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Department or Unit: Hesburgh Libraries remove ×
Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    York rivals Cologne Cathedral in size. The large square crossing tower (Central Tower) was rebuilt, beginning in 1407, in the Perpendicular style.

    The present church was begun with the south transept built by Archbishop Walter de Grey (1216-1255), whose tomb is in its eastern aisle. In a building campaign lasting until the 15th century, the main patrons continued to be the archbishops and senior clergy. The Minster, which measures 148 m externally and 70 m across the transept, is built of lo…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Great West Window was paid for by Archbishop Melton and painted by Master Richard Ketelbarn between 1338 and 1339. The Flamboyant tracery is heart-shaped at the top; restored 1989-1990.

    The present church was begun with the south transept built by Archbishop Walter de Grey (1216-1255), whose tomb is in its eastern aisle. In a building campaign lasting until the 15th century, the main patrons continued to be the archbishops and senior clergy. The Minster, which measures 148 m externally a…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Quire Screen dates to the 15th century. The 15 figures are Kings of England from William I to Henry VI.

    The present church was begun with the south transept built by Archbishop Walter de Grey (1216-1255), whose tomb is in its eastern aisle. In a building campaign lasting until the 15th century, the main patrons continued to be the archbishops and senior clergy. The Minster, which measures 148 m externally and 70 m across the transept, is built of local limestone, and the vaulting through…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The west front, completed ca. 1250, has about 300 remaining medieval statues; many of the figures, and their niches, were originally painted and gilded. The Chapter House was completed 1306.

    The present cathedral, dedicated to St. Andrew, was built in two major periods: ca. 1185-1240 and ca. 1275-1350. It contains fine sculpture, monuments and stained glass. It is the seat of the Bishop of Bath and Wells, who lives at the adjacent Bishop’s Palace. A unique feature in the crossing are the…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Salisbury Cathedral, formally known as the Cathedral Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary, is an Anglican cathedral in Salisbury, England, considered one of the leading examples of Early English architecture. The main body was completed in only 38 years, from 1220 to 1258. The cathedral has the tallest church spire in the United Kingdom (123 m or 404 ft). The cathedral also has the largest cloister and the largest cathedral close in Britain (80 acres (320,000 m2)). There is no evidence that Elia…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The West Tower dates from 1174-1197.

    Before the Norman Conquest of 1066 Ely was one of the richest English monasteries. In 1109 Ely was made an episcopal see, and the endowments were divided between the bishop and the monastery. The monastery was dissolved in 1539, and the cathedral church refounded in 1541, when the dedication to SS Etheldreda and Peter was changed to the Holy and Undivided Trinity. Ely Cathedral has important Romanesque, High Gothic and Decorated architecture, while the la…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The seat of the Anglican Bishop of Carlisle. It is located in Carlisle, in Cumbria, North West England. It was founded as an Augustinian monastery and became a cathedral in 1133. Carlisle, because of heavy losses to its fabric, is the second smallest (after Oxford), of England’s ancient cathedrals. Its notable features include some fine figurative stone carving, a set of 15th century choir stalls and the largest window in the Flowing Decorated Gothic style in England (the East window).

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    In 1251 fire destroyed part of the 11th-century cathedral. Rebuilding started after 1288, but a plan had already been made in 1254. The choir is heavily influenced by French Rayonnant churches. About 1315 the transepts were reached, but not built. Between 1321 and 1381 a single tower 112 m high was erected to the west of the old Romanesque nave. The Gothic transepts and the nave were built during the 15th century and early 16th, but the nave collapsed during the storm of 1674 and was never re…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    In 1251 fire destroyed part of the 11th-century cathedral. Rebuilding started after 1288, but a plan had already been made in 1254. The choir is heavily influenced by French Rayonnant churches. About 1315 the transepts were reached, but not built. Between 1321 and 1381 a single tower 112 m high was erected to the west of the old Romanesque nave. The Gothic transepts and the nave were built during the 15th century and early 16th, but the nave collapsed during the storm of 1674 and was never re…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Originally the Catholic cathedral, after the Reformation it became a Protestant church (1572). A stone cube was added to the tower, which proved too heavy for the foundation in 1650. New piles were driven under the tower and in 1655 the tower stood straight again. This basilica was the first all stone building in Rotterdam. It is the only remnant of the medieval city of Rotterdam to survive the bombings of WWII. After heavy damage in the bombing, there was controversy over rebuilding with arc…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    At the heart of Cuzco is the Plaza de Armas, with colonial arcades and four churches situated around it. The cathedral, built on the site of the Inca Palace of Viracocha and completed in the 17th century, exhibits both Renaissance and Baroque elements. It has a solid silver altar and a beautifully carved original wooden altar retable. The original designs for the 1-acre (4,000 m2) large construction were drawn by the Spanish architect and conquistador, Juan Miguel de Veramendi. [Dedicated to …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The town of Puno is the capital of the department of Puno, located on the shore of Lake Titicaca. It was founded on November 4, 1668 by the Spanish for its closeness to the colonial silver mine of Laykakota. The Cathedral of Puno was built in the 18th century by the Spanish, located in the Plaza de Armas.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01