University of Notre Dame

Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Department or Unit: University of Notre Dame remove × Collection: Architectural Lantern Slides of Spain remove × Type of Work: Image remove ×
Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The oldest of the church’s façades, the so-called Saint Joseph façade, was built in 1480 in a style very much inspired by the Flemish. The main façade is a robust Baroque tower, the upper part of which supports a spire covered with azulejos (tile). In the choir, the altarpiece is an extraordinary late Renaissance piece, created by Martínez Montañés with Baroque elements attributed to Juan de Arce. The Baroque-style Chapel of the Holy Sacrament backs onto the wall of the church. It was dec…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Both the tombs (begun 1489) and the magnificent high altar retable (retablo) were the work of Gil de Siloé, the father of Diego de Siloé. The Gothic choir stalls are the work of Martín Sánchez.

    Around 1440 Bishop Alonso de Cartagena (reigned 1415-1456) brought Juan de Colonia to Burgos. He worked at the cathedral and in 1454 began the church of the Carthusian monastery of Miraflores, which lies 3 km east of Burgos. The church, with a single-cell, five-bay nave and polygonal, star-vaulted aps…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    A single-cell, five-bay nave and polygonal, star-vaulted apse.

    Around 1440 Bishop Alonso de Cartagena (reigned 1415-1456) brought Juan de Colonia to Burgos. He worked at the cathedral and in 1454 began the church of the Carthusian monastery of Miraflores, which lies 3 km east of Burgos. The church, with a single-cell, five-bay nave and polygonal, star-vaulted apse, was completed by his son Simón and consecrated in 1496. It contains the alabaster tombs of King John II of Castile (reigned 1406…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    S Gil is noted for its octagonal, star-vaulted chapel of the Nativity of Mary by Felipe Vigarny and Diego de Siloé (both sculptors and architects). In 1486 the chancel was lengthened and rebuilt, which was followed by the opening of chapels of several wealthy families. The Chapel of the Nativity of Mary contains an altarpiece (retablo), late Gothic Plateresque in style, with twelve narrative scenes. The altar is flanked by the tombs of the founders, John and Ines de Castro Lerma, both decease…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public