University of Notre Dame

Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Department or Unit: University of Notre Dame remove ×
Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Church of the Transfiguration is a Franciscan church located on Mount Tabor in Israel. It is traditionally believed to be the site where the Transfiguration of Christ took place, an event in the Gospels in which Jesus is transfigured upon an unnamed mountain and speaks with Moses and Elijah. The current church, part of a Franciscan monastery complex, was completed in 1924. The architect was Antonio Barluzzi. It was built on the ruins of a Byzantine (4th-6th century) church and a 12th cent…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Bramante was hired by Julius II to begin a radical reconstruction, to replace Old Saint Peter’s, and intensive planning by Bramante, Giuliano da Sangallo and Fra Giovanni Giocondo preceded the laying of the foundation stone on 18 April 1506. Since Bramante’s first designs of 1506, half a dozen architects had worked under five successive popes, all bringing their own revisions with them. In the 18 remaining years of his life Michelangelo succeeded in ‘uniting into a whole the great…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Rome, Italy - Basilica di San Lorenzo fuori le Mura

    The basilica of San Lorenzo fuori le Mura is one of the most important basilica churches and one of the Seven Pilgrim Churches of Rome. The basilica is the shrine tomb of the church’s namesake, Saint Lawrence, one of the first seven deacons of Rome martyred in 258. Pope Pius IX, awaiting canonization into sainthood, is also buried at the basilica. Before the present-day basilica was constructed, the estate upon which it sits was once ho…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The ciborium above the high altar by Arnolfo di Cambio is dated 1285 and inscribed hoc opus fecit arnulfus cum suo socio petro. The ciborium was donated by Abbot Bartolomeo, who is shown presenting St Paul with a model of the ciborium in the spandrels of the western arch. The Gothic canopy is supported on antique porphyry columns and is richly ornamented with superb foliate capitals, small corner statues in a classicizing style, relief figures and Cosmatesque mosaic decoration .

    [Almost tota…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Ciboria are roofed structures with four or more columns built over an altar.

    Dedicated to the Saviour and (certainly from the 7th century) to St John (both St. John Baptist and St. John the Evangelist) and known as S Giovanni in Laterano, the basilica is the cathedral church of Rome. It was regarded as the mother church of all Christendom, as is made clear by the inscription omnium urbis et orbis ecclesiarum mater et caput, which appears twice on the huge bases of the columns framing the cen…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Dedicated to the Saviour and (certainly from the 7th century) to St John (both St. John Baptist and St. John the Evangelist) and known as S Giovanni in Laterano, the basilica is the cathedral church of Rome. It was regarded as the mother church of all Christendom, as is made clear by the inscription omnium urbis et orbis ecclesiarum mater et caput, which appears twice on the huge bases of the columns framing the central doorway to the present building. The church was probably begun after the …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Begun 1099, Santa Maria del Popolo was reconstructed by Baccio Pontelli and Andrea Bregno in 1472-1477, commissioned by the association of the Lombards of Rome, creating an excellent example of Italian Renaissance architecture. In 1655-1660 the facade was modified by Gian Lorenzo Bernini, who was asked by Pope Alexander VII to update the Renaissance church to a more modern Baroque style. [Wikipedia] “Another church project in Rome commissioned from Bramante by Julius II was the extended …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Fuga designed the great porphyry and bronze baldacchino, erected 1750. The figures on top seen in this view have been removed.

    Situated at the end of the Esquiline Hill and formerly known as S Maria ad Praesepem, S Maria Maggiore was traditionally founded by Pope Liberius (reigned 352-366) and financed by Johannes, a rich citizen, after a miraculous summer snowfall. It is more likely, however, that it was founded in the early 5th century by Sixtus III, whose name appears in the mosaics of th…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    In the presbytery is a ciborium raised on four gray-violet columns over the shrine of Clement in the crypt below.

    The standard type of basilica was meant to hold a congregation of between 800 and 1400. It consists of a nave flanked by aisles and terminating in a semicircular, sometimes rectangular, apse; a narthex and atrium sometimes feature at the west end. This standard type of basilica is known as early as the late 4th-century church of S Ambrogio at Milan. After ca. 380 examples of the …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    In July 1571 work began on the façade of Il Gesù, for which Cardinal Alessandro Farnese had favoured della Porta’s design over those of Jacopo Vignola–who had largely designed the rest of the church–and Galeazzo Alessi. Della Porta also designed the high altar (1582) and the crossing (1584) of Il Gesù. Della Porta’s design accentuated the verticality of the façade, thereby creating a strong central climax; this provided a precedent for successive Baroque façades. Il Gesù was the fir…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The presbytery is separated by an altar screen formed by eight red marble columns crowned with a high Crucifix and statues by Pier Paolo and Jacobello Dalle Masegne, masterpiece of Gothic sculpture (late 14th century).

    Studies by the excavator, Forlati, indicate that S Marco was a centrally planned, Greek-cross building from the start. The present building was begun ca. 1063 under Doge Domenico Contarini (reg 1043-1071), who wished it to reflect the increased power and wealth of Venice. He p…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Pala d'Oro (Italian, “Golden Pall” or “Golden Cloth”) is the high altar retable of the Basilica di San Marco in Venice. It is universally recognized as one of the most refined and accomplished works of Byzantine craftsmanship, with both front and rear sides decorated. The altarpiece consists of two parts. The lower part, with enamels illustrating the story of Saint Mark, the doge’s portrait, and the Pantocrator group, originated as an antependium commissioned by th…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01