University of Notre Dame

Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Department or Unit: University of Notre Dame remove × Collection: Architectural Lantern Slides of Greece remove ×
Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Formally the Church of St. Eleutherios or Panagia Gorgoepikoos is a Byzantine era church in Athens, Greece.The Church is built on the ruins of an ancient temple dedicated to the goddess Eileithyia. It is almost entirely built of reused spolia from earlier buildings. Because of that, dating is difficult but the church was probably built after 1436. It has the name “Little Metropolis” because it is located within the bounds of the residence of the Metropolitan of Athens. Following the…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    An eleventh-century Byzantine monastery. It was founded towards the end of the sixth century A.D. The first monastery on the site was constructed in the style of a castle with a baslica in the middle. In the eleventh and twelfth centuries, the monastery was restored. The Daphni Monastery is called a masterpiece of middle Byzantine architecture. The exterior of the church has a cloisonné style.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The third great 5th-century BCE marble building on the Acropolis is known as the Erechtheion, though this name (Erechtheos was a mythical king of Athens) has been challenged. Since the Parthenon stands immediately to the south, the architect of the Erechtheion did not attempt to make the building compete directly with this outstanding example of the Doric order, and instead chose the more ornate and delicate Ionic order. The building has an unusually complex plan. Its steeply sloping site als…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Three choragic monuments (choragos: ‘leader or organizer of a choir’), all of different architectural type, commemorate victories in the dramatic contests and originally displayed the bronze tripods given as prizes. The monument built by Thrasyllos and the Monument of Nikias date from 320-319 BCE. The well-preserved Monument of Lysikrates (335-334 BCE) stands in the ‘Street of the Tripods’ (Pausanias: Guide to Greece I.xx.1), which led round the Acropolis east of the theatre. …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Comment says this slide is flopped

    During the second half of the 5th century BC the Acropolis became the focal point of the great building programme initiated by Pericles and was adorned with a group of magnificent marble buildings in honour of Athena. This temple dedicated to Athena Parthenos (‘maiden’) was the first and by far most impressive of the new structures. Inscriptions recording its building accounts show that it was started in 447 BC and that construction was sufficiently…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Some of the metopes are visible.

    During the second half of the 5th century BC the Acropolis became the focal point of the great building programme initiated by Pericles and was adorned with a group of magnificent marble buildings in honour of Athena. This temple dedicated to Athena Parthenos (‘maiden’) was the first and by far most impressive of the new structures. Inscriptions recording its building accounts show that it was started in 447 BC and that construction was sufficiently a…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    During the second half of the 5th century BC the Acropolis became the focal point of the great building programme initiated by Pericles and was adorned with a group of magnificent marble buildings in honour of Athena. This temple dedicated to Athena Parthenos (‘maiden’) was the first and by far most impressive of the new structures. Inscriptions recording its building accounts show that it was started in 447 BC and that construction was sufficiently advanced by 438 BC for the cult sta…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The five original caryatids have been transferred (2007) from the old Acropolis Museum (where they were first moved in 1979) to the New Acropolis Museum. The sixth is in the British Museum, having been taken by Lord Elgin.

    The third great 5th-century BCE marble building on the Acropolis is known as the Erechtheion, though this name (Erechtheos was a mythical king of Athens) has been challenged. Since the Parthenon stands immediately to the south, the architect of the Erechtheion did not atte…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    As displayed in the early 20th century. Parthenon Ionic frieze in mid background, Ionic frieze from temple of Apollo Epikourios at Bassai in top background.

    The third great 5th-century BCE marble building on the Acropolis is known as the Erechtheion, though this name (Erechtheos was a mythical king of Athens) has been challenged. Since the Parthenon stands immediately to the south, the architect of the Erechtheion did not attempt to make the building compete directly with this outstanding ex…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Shows early restoration efforts

    The third great 5th-century BCE marble building on the Acropolis is known as the Erechtheion, though this name (Erechtheos was a mythical king of Athens) has been challenged. Since the Parthenon stands immediately to the south, the architect of the Erechtheion did not attempt to make the building compete directly with this outstanding example of the Doric order, and instead chose the more ornate and delicate Ionic order. The building has an unusually complex p…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    West end of the Acropolis. Historic view of site, early 20th century. Excavation railway visible and excavation dumps.

    This was the second building on the Acropolis constructed as part of the Periclean programme. According to building accounts and Plutarch’s Pericles (XIII.7), the Propylaia or great gateway (propylon) was begun in 437 BC, and work apparently stopped in 432 BC. The architect was Mnesikles. As constructed, the building consists of a large central hall flanked by wings to t…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Porch of the caryatids on the left (west end of the south side)

    The third great 5th-century BCE marble building on the Acropolis is known as the Erechtheion, though this name (Erechtheos was a mythical king of Athens) has been challenged. Since the Parthenon stands immediately to the south, the architect of the Erechtheion did not attempt to make the building compete directly with this outstanding example of the Doric order, and instead chose the more ornate and delicate Ionic order. The bui…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01