University of Notre Dame

Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Department or Unit: University of Notre Dame remove ×
Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The site of the church was first used in the 9th century by Danes, who built a church dedicated to St. Clement, patron saint of mariners. A medieval church was demolished for the current building. It is situated outside the Royal Courts of Justice on the Strand. The current building was completed in 1682 by Sir Christopher Wren and it now functions as the central church of the Royal Air Force. The steeple was added to the 115 foot tower from 1719-1720 by James Gibbs. It was bombed in WWII, an…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The tower contains a peal of ten bells hung for English change ringing.

    Magdalen College was founded in 1458 by William of Waynflete, Bishop of Winchester. It stands next to the River Cherwell and has within its grounds a deer park and Addison’s Walk. The large, square Magdalen Tower is a famous Oxford landmark, and it is a tradition since the days of Henry VII that the college choir sings from the top of it at 6 a.m. on May Morning. The Great Tower was built between 1492 and 1509 by Wil…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    According to Humberto Vidal, work was initiated by Cristóbal Paullo, a member of the Inca nobility and owner of the land (Colcampata hill, a plateau with Inca stonework still visible). The first church dates from 1560. The rear building is seventeenth century; the patron was Bishop Mollinedo, whose coat of arms is on the lintel of the entrance door to the belfry. The church is a Latin cross plan and has a single nave. Among its treasures is the silver front altar, which also features the coat…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Part of a programme of building Baroque churches and noblemen’s houses, which was encouraged by the Church in the 18th century. The Baroque campaign is strongly Italianate, largely because it was planned by the Tuscan Nicolau Nasoni. He altered and decorated the cathedral and in addition to numerous palaces, he designed two buildings near the cathedral that gave the city its dramatic skyline: the oval S Pedro dos Clérigos Church (1731-ca. 1750) and its tower (h. 75.6 m, 1757-1763), and th…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Gothic church, Temple de la Madeleine, was built in 1430 after a fire destroyed this section of the old city. Only the Romanesque bell tower survived the fire. The church was heavily restored in the 20th century when the existing, and more modern style, stained glass windows were added. Temple de la Madeleine is located just north of the Cathedral of Geneva. The church played a major role in the Reformation, and calls to mind names such as Jean [John] Calvin, Guillaume Farel or Michel Ser…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Built on a rocky outcrop 50 metres above the river Sarine (Saane). In 1924 the former parish church became a cathedral. Built in four campaigns between 1283 and 1490. It is a High Gothic pillared basilica with a façade tower (h. 76 m). Its choir, originally rectangular, was rebuilt in polygonal form (1627-1631). The main portal is surmounted by a tympanum depicting the Last Judgement, framed by archivolts with angels, Prophets and Patriarchs. The cathedral has a unique collection of Jugendsti…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Fribourg has numerous 16th-century fountains. These great basins with columns in the middle, surmounted by biblical or allegorical figures, originally served as a source of drinkable water. They were made of limestone, but, due to shifting traffic patterns, most have been repositioned and replaced by copies. This fountain is in the original position and has a composite capital with the heads of Herod, Herodias, Salome, and St. John the Baptist, topped with a full figure of St. John the Baptis…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The tent roof is criss-crossed with white stone rhombus patterns.

    Built in 1532 by Vasily III (reigned 1505-1533) on a sloping hillside above the river, presumably as a thanks-offering for the birth of his son, later Ivan IV. The central, square plan is enclosed by a tall, multi-faceted polygon that supports an octagonal tower crowned with a tent roof, itself surmounted by a lantern and cupola. A covered gallery resting on an arcade and approached by three stairways surrounds the lower part …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    See photographs by Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (Library of Congress). http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/

    During the 16th and 17th centuries Yaroslavl’ became one of the largest trading centres in Russia. St. John Chrysostom’s Church is in the Korovniki borough (Korovnitskaya) of Yaroslavl, across the Kotorosl River. The summer Church of Ioann Zlatoust [John Chrysostom] was built in 1649 and has frescos and iconostasis dating from 1732. The team of painters was led …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    District in the north of Moscow, formerly a village and estate. In 1620 the estate became the property of the princes Cherkassky, for whom Pavel Potekhin (a serf of the Odoyevsky family) built the five-domed brick church of the Trinity (1678-1692), distinguished by its elegant decoration. Its bell-tower was erected by the architect Nikolay Sultanov (1850-1908) in 1877-1878 in ‘neo-Russian’ style.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    La Giralda is the city’s most famous symbol. Its square base is 13.61 metres and a height of 105 metres. It was built as a minaret of the old mosque, although the bell tower and spire top is Renaissance (1568). The name comes from the statue of Faith (a weathervane) which tops the spire. It is one of three remaining Almohad minarets in the world.

    Located in Seville, Andalusia, southern Spain: it is the largest Gothic cathedral and the third-largest church in the world. At the time of its…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Appropriated the minaret as a bell-tower (1589-1593; 1656; restored 18th century).

    Constructed on a simple hypostyle plan, ‛Abd al-Rahman’s mosque of 785 consisted of 11 aisles of 12 bays that, like the Great Mosque at Damascus, ran perpendicular to a walled court. Each bay was defined by a set of two-tiered horseshoe arches with alternating red brick and white stone voussoirs, which were later coloured. It was enlarged by building programs until 988. In 1236 Ferdinand III of Castile and…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01