University of Notre Dame

Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Department or Unit: University of Notre Dame remove ×
Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The interior, like the exterior, is decorated with alternative rows of travertine and basalt but only to a height of about 1.5 m. The holy water stoup by Federighi is visible on the right.

    A document of 1290 states that the new building should be modelled on S Maria Maggiore in Rome. This apparently influenced the early rectangular plan as well as, for example, the original semicircular apse, columnar piers in the nave and the attached half columns used on the exterior flanks. It may also ha…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Unlike most cathedrals, the cathedral of Perugia has its flank [side] on the city’s main square, facing the Fontana Maggiore and the Palazzo dei Priori. This side has the Loggia di Braccio commissioned by Braccio da Montone (1423), an early Renaissance structure attributed to Fioravante Fioravanti from Bologna. The main façade faces the smaller Piazza Dante and has a baroque portal designed by Pietro Carattoli in 1729. The sturdy campanile was constructed in 1606-1612.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The church is renowned for its spectacular interior, which is dominated by a series of 12th century mosaics executed by Byzantine craftsmen.

    In a Greek–Arab document of 1143, preserved in the archives of the Cappella Palatina, Admiral George of Antioch (a Greek and a principle minister of the Norman King Roger II of Sicily) declares that he has erected the church of S Maria and spared no effort or expense in its decoration. In 1139 a convent of Benedictine nuns was founded in the nearby hous…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    While parts of the building are barrel vaulted and parts have an open timber roof, the presbytery has a ribbed vault of stone. The white marble and pink granite columns of the main nave are spolia from the 2nd century.

    The church, dedicated to the Saviour and SS Peter and Paul, was founded by Roger II in 1129 in fulfilment of a vow. An inscription once set in the wall behind the main altar recorded that the church was completed between 1131 and 1148. The building was consecrated on 10 April …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The pulpit visible on the right was designed by Giorgio Vasari (1560).

    It is the seat of the Bishop of Pistoia and is dedicated to Saint Zeno of Verona. Most probably built in the 10th century, it has a façade in Romanesque style, inspired by other churches in Pistoia (San Bartolomeo and San Jacopo). The interior has a nave and two side-aisles, with a presbytery and crypt. A restoration in 1952-1999 returned the church to its original lines (Baroque additions removed). Between 1379 and 1440 …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The construction of the Duomo Nuovo involved the most influential local architects. Ludovico Beretta prepared a design (untraced) in 1566 for the proposed rebuilding of Brescia Cathedral, which in 1567 was admired by Palladio for its ‘bella invenzione’; the cathedral was eventually reconstructed to a project (1604) by Giovanni Battista Lantana (1581-1627). Giovan Battista Marchetti (1686-1758) was responsible for the design of the façade and Rodolfo Vantini (1791-1865) for the steep d…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The marble high altar of the presbytery was built in 1532 by Baldassarre Peruzzi. The enormous bronze ciborium is the work of Vecchietta (1467-1472, originally commissioned for the church of the Hospital of Santa Maria della Scala, across the square, and brought to the cathedral in 1506). At the sides of the high altar the uppermost angels are masterpieces by Francesco di Giorgio Martini (1439-1502).

    Dedicated from its earliest days as a Roman Catholic Marian church and now to Santa Maria As…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The cathedral of the Assumption was built as the town parish church in the 12th century on the site of an Early Christian cemetery; its façade survives as part of the present west end. The building was replaced by an Early Gothic basilica (1300-1340), but soon after completion its interior was converted by German masons into a hall church with a star vault (1382-1420) by Martin Schiche of Augsburg (died before 1420). Italian masons, and later Swabian masters, worked on the sculptural decorati…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The current church was rebuilt in 1395-1401 with the addition of side chapels and a magnificent Gothic facade, which can still be seen in a sketch by Domenico Morone, which is preserved in the Palazzo Ducale of the city. After another fire in 1545, Giulio Romano remade the interior but saved the facade. Guilio’s project included the rebuilding of the choir and restructuring of the nave, enlarging it to five aisles. Rows of splendid Corinthian columns, finely detailed and made of Veronese …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Bolsena is known for a miracle said to have occurred there in 1263, when a Bohemian priest, in doubt about the doctrine of Transubstantiation, reported bleeding from the host he had consecrated at Mass. The Cappella del Corporale in Orvieto Cathedral lies on the north side of the main crossing. It was built between 1350 and 1356 to house the stained corporal of the miracle of Bolsena. The chapel also contains the tomb of St. Pietro Parenzo. The chapel is decorated with frescoes depicting on t…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Pulpit on the left.

    A Norman-Romanesque cathedral (with later Gothic additions), located in the town of Bayeux. It is the seat of the Bishop of Bayeux. It was the original home of the Bayeux Tapestry and is a national monument of France. The site is an ancient one and was once occupied by Roman sanctuaries. The present cathedral was consecrated on 14 July 1077 in the presence of William, Duke of Normandy and King of England. It was here that William forced Harold Godwinson to take the oath, …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Pulpit visible on the right.

    Dedicated to St Pierre, Angoulême Cathedral is one of the most distinguished buildings in western France, despite having been heavily restored and altered in the 19th century by Paul Abadie. It was built in the first half of the 12th century, with a consecration in 1128 during the episcopacy of the legate Girard d'Angoulême. The church has a cruciform plan with an aisleless nave of three bays, a transept and choir with radiating, apsidal chapels. The nave and…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01