University of Notre Dame

Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Department or Unit: University of Notre Dame remove ×
Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Quire Screen dates to the 15th century. The 15 figures are Kings of England from William I to Henry VI.

    The present church was begun with the south transept built by Archbishop Walter de Grey (1216-1255), whose tomb is in its eastern aisle. In a building campaign lasting until the 15th century, the main patrons continued to be the archbishops and senior clergy. The Minster, which measures 148 m externally and 70 m across the transept, is built of local limestone, and the vaulting through…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    York rivals Cologne Cathedral in size. The large square crossing tower (Central Tower) was rebuilt, beginning in 1407, in the Perpendicular style.

    The present church was begun with the south transept built by Archbishop Walter de Grey (1216-1255), whose tomb is in its eastern aisle. In a building campaign lasting until the 15th century, the main patrons continued to be the archbishops and senior clergy. The Minster, which measures 148 m externally and 70 m across the transept, is built of lo…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Great West Window was paid for by Archbishop Melton and painted by Master Richard Ketelbarn between 1338 and 1339. The Flamboyant tracery is heart-shaped at the top; restored 1989-1990.

    The present church was begun with the south transept built by Archbishop Walter de Grey (1216-1255), whose tomb is in its eastern aisle. In a building campaign lasting until the 15th century, the main patrons continued to be the archbishops and senior clergy. The Minster, which measures 148 m externally a…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The west front, completed ca. 1250, has about 300 remaining medieval statues; many of the figures, and their niches, were originally painted and gilded. The Chapter House was completed 1306.

    The present cathedral, dedicated to St. Andrew, was built in two major periods: ca. 1185-1240 and ca. 1275-1350. It contains fine sculpture, monuments and stained glass. It is the seat of the Bishop of Bath and Wells, who lives at the adjacent Bishop’s Palace. A unique feature in the crossing are the…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Salisbury Cathedral, formally known as the Cathedral Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary, is an Anglican cathedral in Salisbury, England, considered one of the leading examples of Early English architecture. The main body was completed in only 38 years, from 1220 to 1258. The cathedral has the tallest church spire in the United Kingdom (123 m or 404 ft). The cathedral also has the largest cloister and the largest cathedral close in Britain (80 acres (320,000 m2)). There is no evidence that Elia…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The seat of the Anglican Bishop of Carlisle. It is located in Carlisle, in Cumbria, North West England. It was founded as an Augustinian monastery and became a cathedral in 1133. Carlisle, because of heavy losses to its fabric, is the second smallest (after Oxford), of England’s ancient cathedrals. Its notable features include some fine figurative stone carving, a set of 15th century choir stalls and the largest window in the Flowing Decorated Gothic style in England (the East window).

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The West Tower dates from 1174-1197.

    Before the Norman Conquest of 1066 Ely was one of the richest English monasteries. In 1109 Ely was made an episcopal see, and the endowments were divided between the bishop and the monastery. The monastery was dissolved in 1539, and the cathedral church refounded in 1541, when the dedication to SS Etheldreda and Peter was changed to the Holy and Undivided Trinity. Ely Cathedral has important Romanesque, High Gothic and Decorated architecture, while the la…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The town of Puno is the capital of the department of Puno, located on the shore of Lake Titicaca. It was founded on November 4, 1668 by the Spanish for its closeness to the colonial silver mine of Laykakota. The Cathedral of Puno was built in the 18th century by the Spanish, located in the Plaza de Armas.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    In 1404 Prince Yury (died 1434) founded the Storozhevsky Monastery of St Savva, which now houses the Zvenigorod Museum of History and Ethnography. The church of the Virgin’s Nativity (Rozhdestvensky Cathedral), its main church, which was built in 1405 stands on a hill (Storozhi Holm) at the centre. Its dome is slightly displaced to the east, while the roof originally consisted of superimposed kokoshniki arches. St. Savva (Sabbas) of Storozhi was interred in the church in 1407 (canonized 1…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Construction of the cathedral (founded 1612) began in 1621 following plans by Andrés de Espinoza and continued for several decades under the architect Moscoso; it was completed under Juan de Aldana in 1656. Following a fire in 1844 and the 1868 earthquake it was rebuilt by Lucas Poblete, and it retains much of the original plan. It is a long, low building, with a façade occupying the entire north end of the city’s main square, the Plaza de Armas. It is divided into three largely undecorat…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    District in the north of Moscow, formerly a village and estate. In 1620 the estate became the property of the princes Cherkassky, for whom Pavel Potekhin (a serf of the Odoyevsky family) built the five-domed brick church of the Trinity (1678-1692), distinguished by its elegant decoration. Its bell-tower was erected by the architect Nikolay Sultanov (1850-1908) in 1877-1878 in ‘neo-Russian’ style.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Pedro Duque Cornejo carved the choir-stalls and throne (1747-1757). The throne features the Ascension of Christ.

    Constructed on a simple hypostyle plan, ‛Abd al-Rahman’s mosque of 785 consisted of 11 aisles of 12 bays that, like the Great Mosque at Damascus, ran perpendicular to a walled court. Each bay was defined by a set of two-tiered horseshoe arches with alternating red brick and white stone voussoirs, which were later coloured. It was enlarged by building programs until 988. In 123…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01