University of Notre Dame

Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Department or Unit: University of Notre Dame remove ×
Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Built on a rocky outcrop 50 metres above the river Sarine (Saane). In 1924 the former parish church became a cathedral. Built in four campaigns between 1283 and 1490. It is a High Gothic pillared basilica with a façade tower (h. 76 m). Its choir, originally rectangular, was rebuilt in polygonal form (1627-1631). The main portal is surmounted by a tympanum depicting the Last Judgement, framed by archivolts with angels, Prophets and Patriarchs. The cathedral has a unique collection of Jugendsti…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    District in the north of Moscow, formerly a village and estate. In 1620 the estate became the property of the princes Cherkassky, for whom Pavel Potekhin (a serf of the Odoyevsky family) built the five-domed brick church of the Trinity (1678-1692), distinguished by its elegant decoration. Its bell-tower was erected by the architect Nikolay Sultanov (1850-1908) in 1877-1878 in ‘neo-Russian’ style.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Appropriated the minaret as a bell-tower (1589-1593; 1656; restored 18th century).

    Constructed on a simple hypostyle plan, ‛Abd al-Rahman’s mosque of 785 consisted of 11 aisles of 12 bays that, like the Great Mosque at Damascus, ran perpendicular to a walled court. Each bay was defined by a set of two-tiered horseshoe arches with alternating red brick and white stone voussoirs, which were later coloured. It was enlarged by building programs until 988. In 1236 Ferdinand III of Castile and…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    A chapel dedicated to Mary had existed since the early Christian era. By the time of the Aragonese conquest the shrine of the Virgin of the Pillar was an important magnet for pilgrims Indulgences for the embellishment of the shrine were sold as far afield as Germany and Greece in 1297, and most Aragonese monarchs until Philip II of Spain (1556-1598) made bequests. Damián Forment made the main retable (from 1509). The particular devotion of Charles II (reigned 1665-1700) to Nuestra Señora del …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Florence Cathedral (Duomo), whose great dome dominates the city, the tall campanile at its south-west corner, which balances the dome, and the Baptistery to the west–all set in the Piazza del Duomo in the centre of the city–form a remarkable group of polychrome marble buildings that demonstrates the traditions of Florentine art from the Romanesque period to the Renaissance. The immense programme of work on the cathedral in the 14th century and first half of the 15th was coordinated by the O…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Byzantine dome to the left and Romanesque campanile to the right. The main entry to the church is still through the attached campanile, not through this portico.

    In a Greek–Arab document of 1143, preserved in the archives of the Cappella Palatina, Admiral George of Antioch (a Greek and a principle minister of the Norman King Roger II of Sicily) declares that he has erected the church of S Maria and spared no effort or expense in its decoration. In 1139 a convent of Benedictine nuns was found…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Side of cathedral with south porch to the left, apse and dome in center, and towers visible to the right. This external wall is largely 12th century except for the dome (18th century) and porch (added 1453).

    Palermo Cathedral fuses the Latin basilican plan with the centralized Byzantine one. The four corner towers were completed in the 14th century, and the portal of the west façade is dated 1352-1353. In 1426 Antonio Gambara constructed the south portal, with wooden doors (1432) carved by F…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    In 1472 a portico, by Ambrogio da Como, was added between the two towers of the facade. Each tower is surmounted by small spire added in the 15th century, one square, one octagonal.

    The church, dedicated to the Saviour and SS Peter and Paul, was founded by Roger II in 1129 in fulfilment of a vow. An inscription once set in the wall behind the main altar recorded that the church was completed between 1131 and 1148. The building was consecrated on 10 April 1267. The discrepancies in height bet…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The bell tower was designed by Carmelo Sciuto Patti and has a 7.5 ton bell. This image is flipped.

    The city fell into decline in the 16th and 17th centuries and was almost entirely destroyed by the great earthquake of 1693; the present centre of Catania, therefore, is distinctly 18th century in aspect, rebuilt according to the plan of the late Baroque architect Giovanni Battista Vaccarini. Vaccarini also designed many of its buildings, notably the cathedral that incorporates the Norman remai…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The construction of the Duomo Nuovo involved the most influential local architects. Ludovico Beretta prepared a design (untraced) in 1566 for the proposed rebuilding of Brescia Cathedral, which in 1567 was admired by Palladio for its ‘bella invenzione’; the cathedral was eventually reconstructed to a project (1604) by Giovanni Battista Lantana (1581-1627). Giovan Battista Marchetti (1686-1758) was responsible for the design of the façade and Rodolfo Vantini (1791-1865) for the steep d…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Dedicated to Saint John the Baptist (Italian: San Giovanni Battista), it is adjacent to an earlier campanile (1470). It is the only significant Renaissance building in Turin, commissioned by Archbishop Domenico della Rovere from the Tuscan architect Meo da Caprino. The Chapel of the Holy Shroud (Cappella della Sacra Sindone), the current resting place of the Shroud of Turin, was added to the structure in 1668-1694 by Guarini. The chapel connects the apse of the cathedral with the west wing of…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Torrazzo of Cremona is the bell tower of the Cathedral of Cremona. At 112.7 metres (343 ft 6 in), it is the third tallest brickwork bell tower in the world, completed in 1309. It has an astronomical clock.

    Dedicated to Santa Maria Assunta (Our Lady of the Assumption). The cathedral was begun in 1107 with a plan typical of the Romanesque architecture of the Po valley and consecrated in 1190. It was radically altered in the later 12th century and the 14th to the Lombard Gothic style, with …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01