University of Notre Dame

Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Department or Unit: University of Notre Dame remove ×
Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The seat of the Anglican Bishop of Carlisle. It is located in Carlisle, in Cumbria, North West England. It was founded as an Augustinian monastery and became a cathedral in 1133. Carlisle, because of heavy losses to its fabric, is the second smallest (after Oxford), of England’s ancient cathedrals. Its notable features include some fine figurative stone carving, a set of 15th century choir stalls and the largest window in the Flowing Decorated Gothic style in England (the East window).

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    In 1251 fire destroyed part of the 11th-century cathedral. Rebuilding started after 1288, but a plan had already been made in 1254. The choir is heavily influenced by French Rayonnant churches. About 1315 the transepts were reached, but not built. Between 1321 and 1381 a single tower 112 m high was erected to the west of the old Romanesque nave. The Gothic transepts and the nave were built during the 15th century and early 16th, but the nave collapsed during the storm of 1674 and was never re…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The cloister, renewed in the 15th century, has net vaulting and curvilinear tracery. The small cloister to its east was built 1467-1487.

    Bâle is the French name for Basel. Originally a Catholic cathedral it is today a reformed Protestant church (munster or minster). Dedicated to the Virgin, it is essentially Late Romanesque or Early Gothic, standing on the foundations of successive Ottonian and Salian buildings, which largely governed its dimensions. It was probably started before a fire of …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    On the tympanum, dating from around 1180, is a relief of Christ sitting in judgment. The Galluspforte also has reliefs of the wise and foolish virgins from the parable described in the New Testament (Matthews 25:1-13).

    Bâle is the French name for Basel. Originally a Catholic cathedral it is today a reformed Protestant church (munster or minster). Dedicated to the Virgin, it is essentially Late Romanesque or Early Gothic, standing on the foundations of successive Ottonian and Salian buildings…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Bâle is the French name for Basel. Originally a Catholic cathedral it is today a reformed Protestant church (munster or minster). Dedicated to the Virgin, it is essentially Late Romanesque or Early Gothic, standing on the foundations of successive Ottonian and Salian buildings, which largely governed its dimensions. It was probably started before a fire of 1185 and it was completed shortly after 1200. The towers, main vault and the upper storeys of the choir, which collapsed in the earthquake…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The cloister, renewed in the 15th century, has net vaulting and curvilinear tracery. The small cloister to its east was built 1467-1487.

    Bâle is the French name for Basel. Originally a Catholic cathedral it is today a reformed Protestant church (munster or minster). Dedicated to the Virgin, it is essentially Late Romanesque or Early Gothic, standing on the foundations of successive Ottonian and Salian buildings, which largely governed its dimensions. It was probably started before a fire of …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The sculptures of the Last Judgment were the only statues in the Münster to survive the iconoclasm of the Protestant Reformation. The 47 large free-standing statues are replicas (the originals are in the Bern History Museum), and the 170 smaller figures are all original. They were all sculpted by Erhard Küng.

    The minster, dedicated to St Vincent (originally the parish church, later made collegiate), was planned by Matthäus Ensinger from 1421 to replace a 12th century predecessor. It was larg…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The choir, raised above a crypt, consists of a short, straight bay preceding a polygonal apse with an ambulatory. The choir arcades, which increase in height towards the apex, rest on clustered piers; the gallery, which was reconstructed after the earthquake, has a single opening screened by tracery bars, which are extensions of the clerestory mullions.

    Bâle is the French name for Basel. Originally a Catholic cathedral it is today a reformed Protestant church (munster or minster). Dedicated …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Built on a rocky outcrop 50 metres above the river Sarine (Saane). In 1924 the former parish church became a cathedral. Built in four campaigns between 1283 and 1490. It is a High Gothic pillared basilica with a façade tower (h. 76 m). Its choir, originally rectangular, was rebuilt in polygonal form (1627-1631). The main portal is surmounted by a tympanum depicting the Last Judgement, framed by archivolts with angels, Prophets and Patriarchs. The cathedral has a unique collection of Jugendsti…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    In 1553-1554, at the command of Ivan IV (reigned 1533-1584), the stone church of the Trinity on the Fosse (Troitsa na Rvu) was built in Red Square to commemorate the capture of Kazan. It had seven wooden chapels. In 1555-1561, however, the new brick cathedral of the Protective Veil on the Fosse (Pokrov na Rvu), attributed to the architects Barma and Postnik, was built with eight stone chapels symmetrically arranged on a common foundation around this central part. Another chapel was built in t…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    There are over 80 chapels in the cathedral.

    Located in Seville, Andalusia, southern Spain: it is the largest Gothic cathedral and the third-largest church in the world. At the time of its completion in the 16th century, it supplanted the Hagia Sophia as the largest cathedral in the world. Construction began in 1402 on the site of a former mosque which had been converted. The dome has collapsed twice and been rebuilt. There are over 80 chapels including a Capilla Real with the tombs of some r…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    There are over 80 chapels in the cathedral.

    Located in Seville, Andalusia, southern Spain: it is the largest Gothic cathedral and the third-largest church in the world. At the time of its completion in the 16th century, it supplanted the Hagia Sophia as the largest cathedral in the world. Construction began in 1402 on the site of a former mosque which had been converted. The dome has collapsed twice and been rebuilt. There are over 80 chapels including a Capilla Real with the tombs of some r…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01