University of Notre Dame

Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Department or Unit: University of Notre Dame remove ×
Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    At the heart of Cuzco is the Plaza de Armas, with colonial arcades and four churches situated around it. The cathedral, built on the site of the Inca Palace of Viracocha and completed in the 17th century, exhibits both Renaissance and Baroque elements. It has a solid silver altar and a beautifully carved original wooden altar retable. The original designs for the 1-acre (4,000 m2) large construction were drawn by the Spanish architect and conquistador, Juan Miguel de Veramendi. [Dedicated to …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The town of Puno is the capital of the department of Puno, located on the shore of Lake Titicaca. It was founded on November 4, 1668 by the Spanish for its closeness to the colonial silver mine of Laykakota. The Cathedral of Puno was built in the 18th century by the Spanish, located in the Plaza de Armas.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    In 1553-1554, at the command of Ivan IV (reigned 1533-1584), the stone church of the Trinity on the Fosse (Troitsa na Rvu) was built in Red Square to commemorate the capture of Kazan. It had seven wooden chapels. In 1555-1561, however, the new brick cathedral of the Protective Veil on the Fosse (Pokrov na Rvu), attributed to the architects Barma and Postnik, was built with eight stone chapels symmetrically arranged on a common foundation around this central part. Another chapel was built in t…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The restorer Aleksey Denisov was called upon to design a replica of extraordinary accuracy, rebuilt 1994-1997.

    Ton transformed the plan of the grandiose cruciform and domed church of Christ the Redeemer (1832-1838; destroyed 1934; rebuilt 1994-1997) in Moscow by designing a two-storey gallery on one side of the central block to house a museum. The church was built as a memorial to Russia’s victory in the Patriotic War of 1812-1814. Ton excelled at the Russo-Byzantine style; he also combi…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The restorer Aleksey Denisov was called upon to design a replica of extraordinary accuracy, rebuilt 1994-1997.

    Ton transformed the plan of the grandiose cruciform and domed church of Christ the Redeemer (1832-1838; destroyed 1934; rebuilt 1994-1997) in Moscow by designing a two-storey gallery on one side of the central block to house a museum. The church was built as a memorial to Russia’s victory in the Patriotic War of 1812-1814. Ton excelled at the Russo-Byzantine style; he also combi…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The restorer Aleksey Denisov was called upon to design a replica of extraordinary accuracy, rebuilt 1994-1997.

    Ton transformed the plan of the grandiose cruciform and domed church of Christ the Redeemer (1832-1838; destroyed 1934; rebuilt 1994-1997) in Moscow by designing a two-storey gallery on one side of the central block to house a museum. The church was built as a memorial to Russia’s victory in the Patriotic War of 1812-1814. Ton excelled at the Russo-Byzantine style; he also combi…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    I think the image is flopped–check inscription over door.

    Commissioned by Alexander I and dedicated to Saint Isaac of Dalmatia, a patron saint of Peter the Great who had been born on the feast day of that saint. William Handyside contributed engineering, as the marshy site had to be shored up with thousands of wooden piles. The cathedral has a symbolic role linked to the idea of Russia as the ‘Third Rome’. Thus, despite the compact volume, the fact that the main façades are on the l…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The building’s most conspicuous elevation, that facing south, was given an imposing but severe stone-faced façade divided into four equal arched bays by tall pilasters rising through a traditional band of blind arcades with ornamental colonnettes.

    The Cathedral of the Dormition (Russian: Успенский Собор, Uspensky Sobor) is the mother church of Muscovite Russia. Fioravanti was known as a structural engineer and the cathedral needed to be rebuilt following an earthquake. Commissioned by Iv…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The palace is behind the cathedral; it is connected by passages to the palace apartments.

    One of the major buildings in the Cathedral Square, it served as the household church of the grand-princes, later the tsars, and it is connected by passages to the palace apartments. The first stone cathedral of the Annunciation (Blagoveshchensky) was built on this site in the late 14th century. In 1482-1483 it was pulled down to the level of the crypt, and in 1484-1489 masons from Pskov built the prese…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The walls contain fragments of murals, painted by Theodosius (1508) and others. The iconostasis includes icons of the 14th-17th centuries, including icons painted by Andrei Rublev, Feofan Grek and Prokhor.

    The Cathedral of the Dormition (Russian: Успенский Собор, Uspensky Sobor) is the mother church of Muscovite Russia. Fioravanti was known as a structural engineer and the cathedral needed to be rebuilt following an earthquake. Commissioned by Ivan III, the layout of the building was dictate…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Cathedral of the Dormition (Russian: Успенский Собор, Uspensky Sobor) is the mother church of Muscovite Russia. Fioravanti was known as a structural engineer and the cathedral needed to be rebuilt following an earthquake. Commissioned by Ivan III, the layout of the building was dictated by Russian tradition and was required to be modelled in particular on the cathedral of the Dormition (rebuilt 1185-1189) in Vladimir-Suzdal’.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    See photographs by Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (Library of Congress). http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/

    Vladimir was one of the medieval capitals of Russia, and two of its cathedrals are World Heritage Sites. Vsevolod built St. Dimitry from 1194 to 1197 in the courtyard of his palace in Middle Town. It belongs to a series of churches with four piers and a single dome that was widespread in the 12th century, but the solemn splendour of its architecture and sculptural decor…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01