University of Notre Dame

Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Department or Unit: University of Notre Dame remove ×
Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    St George’s Chapel is one of the finest examples of Gothic architecture in England. It is the spiritual home of the Order of the Garter, established in 1348 by Edward III. Within the chapel are the tombs of ten sovereigns. The organ loft was built during restoration works in the reign of King George III. The design was by Henry Emlyn and it is constructed of Coade stone (an artificial stone).

    One of a series of castles that William I (reigned 1066-1087) established around London, Windsor…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Showing the tall, transomed, five-light Perpendicular windows, and the fan vaults.

    King’s College (King’s College of Our Lady and St. Nicholas in Cambridge) was the second royal foundation in Cambridge, inaugurated by Henry VI in 1441. The chapel, dedicated to SS Mary and Nicholas, built from 1448 to 1515, is the only surviving part of the second building plan begun 1448. The chapel is an aisleless limestone building ca. 90 m long and 30 m to the crown of the vault. It is divided int…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Lucerne is unique in the fact that its three wooden pedestrian bridges, the 14th century Hofbrücke (now destroyed) and Kapellbrücke and the Spreuerbrücke, all featured painted interior triangular frames. The Spreuerbrücke (1407), now the oldest intact bridge (after the 1993 fire on the Kapellbrücke), is roofed and decorated with some 56 paintings, scenes from the Dance of Death, by Kaspar Meglinger dating from 1626-1635. It has a small chapel at midpoint, added in 1568. Originally, it connect…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    In Spanish churches the reredos grew to be as wide as the nave and reaching to the vaulting of the roof. The Plateresque grille made between 1518 and 1523 by Bartolomé of Jaén, is considered as a masterpiece of Spanish metalwork. It is structured by way of an altarpiece, into three bodies whose dimensions drop in height, five vertical sections and cresting, which include the Crucifixion and scenes of the Passion of Christ.

    The Capilla Real was the mausoleum of the Spanish royal family, inclu…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Heavily ornamented in the Churrigueresque style. The tabernacle and elaborate decorations of the Sagrario were executed in polychrome marble, jasper and porphyry. Hurtado Izquierdo began his career making retables.

    When Hurtado Izquierdo took over direction of the Sagrario of the Cartuja (1702-1720), work had already started on the walls and the base of the tabernacle. He added two lateral chapels at a lower level to strengthen the fabric, and he introduced oculi near the floor to allow a vi…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    View shows tombs (1514-1517) of Ferdinand II and Isabella by Domenico Fancelli, and of Joanna and Philip I (from 1519) by Bartolomé Ordóñez. Some of Isabella’s art collection is visible.

    The Capilla Real was the mausoleum of the Spanish royal family, including the Catholic Kings, until the founding of the Escorial by Philip II. The influence of Cisneros is evident in the severe plainness of the building, although the splendid vaults and portals are among the finest in the Hispano-Flemish…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The new Capilla Real at the east end to house the tombs of the Castilian monarchs previously buried there was completed 1575, to designs by Alonso de Covarrubias. It contains the tomb of Fernando III (El Santo) in a rich, silver shrine. The tombs on either side belong to Fernando’s wife, Beatrice of Swabia, and his son, Alfonso the Wise.

    Located in Seville, Andalusia, southern Spain: it is the largest Gothic cathedral and the third-largest church in the world. At the time of its completi…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Christ’s entry to Jerusalem on Palm Sunday is depicted in the tympanum of the portal.

    Located in Seville, Andalusia, southern Spain: it is the largest Gothic cathedral and the third-largest church in the world. At the time of its completion in the 16th century, it supplanted the Hagia Sophia as the largest cathedral in the world. Construction began in 1402 on the site of a former mosque which had been converted. The dome has collapsed twice and been rebuilt. There are over 80 chapels inc…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Carmelite order was founded on Mount Carmel more than 800 years ago, starting from a number of Crusaders who went into seclusion in the caves on Mount Carmel, in imitation of the Prophet Elijah, who meditated in a cave here before defeating the priests of Baal. The 17th century monastery was destroyed by the Ottomans after Napoleon’s siege of Acre and rebuilt 1827-1836. Elijah’s Cave is in a separate domed shrine further down the slope and is sacred to Jews, Christians, Muslims, a…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    In 1673-1674 Bernini designed and executed the tabernacle and adoring angels in bronze for the Chapel of the Blessed Sacrament in St Peter’s. The form of the tabernacle derives from the Tempietto di San Pietro in Montorio of Bramante, done in miniature. The wrought-iron grille around the chapel with the arms of Pope Urban VIII was designed by Francesco Borromini.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Dedicated to the Saviour and (certainly from the 7th century) to St John (both St. John Baptist and St. John the Evangelist) and known as S Giovanni in Laterano, the basilica is the cathedral church of Rome. It was regarded as the mother church of all Christendom, as is made clear by the inscription omnium urbis et orbis ecclesiarum mater et caput, which appears twice on the huge bases of the columns framing the central doorway to the present building. The church was probably begun after the …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Two baroque chapels were added in the 17th and 18th centuries, which are shut off from the rest of the church. Chapel of St. Benedict has a high-relief on the altar representing the Glory of St. Benedict, made by Ignazio Marabitti in 1776.

    [Cloister is now a State Art Institute for mosaic work.] It was formerly a Benedictine monastery. The foundation of the monastic house of S Maria Nuova by King William II of Sicily marked the climax of Norman ecclesiastical and artistic patronage on the is…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01