University of Notre Dame

Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Department or Unit: University of Notre Dame remove ×
Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    After the earthquake of 1755, Oliveira became part of the team involved in the reconstruction of Lisbon. Built by order of Queen Mary I of Portugal, as a fulfilled promise for giving birth to a son (José, Prince of Brazil). The huge church has a giant dome. Two designs for the façade are known, one with towers and the other without, both surmounted by a countercurved pediment and generously provided with windows. Sober but resolutely Late Baroque, the building was inspired by Mafra, also a gr…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    After the earthquake of 1755, Oliveira became part of the team involved in the reconstruction of Lisbon. Built by order of Queen Mary I of Portugal, as a fulfilled promise for giving birth to a son (José, Prince of Brazil). The huge church has a giant dome. Two designs for the façade are known, one with towers and the other without, both surmounted by a countercurved pediment and generously provided with windows. Sober but resolutely Late Baroque, the building was inspired by Mafra, also a gr…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The sanctuary (Santuario della Santa Casa) consists of the basilica of S Maria, beneath the dome of which is situated the Santa Casa, the Holy House of the Virgin, encased within a structure designed by Bramante in 1509. The birthplace of the Virgin in Nazareth was popularly believed to have been rescued from infidels by angels, who transported finally to its present location in December 1295. The basilica is a Late Gothic structure continued by Giuliano da Maiano, Giuliano da Sangallo and Br…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Founded by the Dominicans in 1125 as part of their friary. Also known as Basilica Cateriniana, since it contains several relics of St. Catherine of Siena, whose family house is nearby. The interior is on the Egyptian cross plan with a huge nave covered by trusses and with a transept featuring high chapels. The bell tower was reduced in height after an earthquake in 1798.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Church of the Holy Crucifix (the largest church) is located out of view, to the right (corner visible).

    This group of monastic buildings dates chiefly from the Romanesque period, although the complex originated much earlier, and fragments of earlier buildings survive. The complex as a whole is documented from the 9th century with the title ‘Santo Stefano detto Gerusalemme’, or ‘Sancta Gerusalemme’. None of the surviving churches now bears the name of S Stefano. It is locally …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    This group of monastic buildings dates chiefly from the Romanesque period, although the complex originated much earlier, and fragments of earlier buildings survive. The complex as a whole is documented from the 9th century with the title ‘Santo Stefano detto Gerusalemme’, or ‘Sancta Gerusalemme’. None of the surviving churches now bears the name of S Stefano. It is locally known as Sette Chiese (“Seven Churches”). According to tradition, it was built by Saint Petroni…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Founded in 1228 following the canonization ceremony for St. Francis, it is the mother church of the Franciscan Order. The building established many of the characteristics of Italian Gothic architecture. It is built into the side of a hill and comprises two churches known as the Upper Church and the Lower Church, and a crypt where the remains of the saint are interred. The fact that the building had to fulfill two functions, as a conventual church for a mendicant order and as a great centre of…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Romanesque façade dates from ca. 1240 and was restored in 1910 by the architect Raffaele Faccioli.

    Church dedicated by Innocent IV in 1251 to St Dominic. It has been enlarged several times, and the present interiors are the work of Carlo Francesco Dotti, who remodelled (1728-1732) the church in the early 17th-century Bolognese style. It is notable chiefly as the home of the tomb of St Dominic, the Arca di S Domenico. The design of the tomb is generally credited to Nicola Pisano (now alte…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Bologna’s votive and civic basilica is dedicated to Bologna’s patron saint (St. Petronius, eighth bishop of Bologna, reigned 431-450). The Gothic-style church was erected by the Commune between 1390 and the third quarter of the 17th century. Although unfinished, it dominates the skyline and ranks among the largest ecclesiastical buildings in Italy (44.27 m to the crowning of the vaults). Here Charles V was crowned Holy Roman Emperor by Clement VII in 1530. The problem of the great unf…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Bologna’s votive and civic basilica is dedicated to Bologna’s patron saint (St. Petronius, eighth bishop of Bologna, reigned 431-450). The Gothic-style church was erected by the Commune between 1390 and the third quarter of the 17th century. Although unfinished, it dominates the skyline and ranks among the largest ecclesiastical buildings in Italy (44.27 m to the crowning of the vaults). Here Charles V was crowned Holy Roman Emperor by Clement VII in 1530. The problem of the great unf…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Around 448 Abundius became the fourth Bishop of Como, succeeding Amantius. The Romanesque church of Sant'Abbondio at Como, consecrated in 1095 by Pope Urban II, is dedicated to him, and his relics are conserved beneath its principal altar. The church has a nave and four aisles and two notable bell towers rising at the end of the external aisles, in the middle of the nave (preceding the apse). It was part of a Benedictine monastery, recently restored.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    In 1630 Venice experienced an unusually devastating outbreak of the plague. As a votive offering for the city’s deliverance from the pestilence, the Republic of Venice vowed to build and dedicate a church to Our Lady of Health (or of Deliverance, Italian: Salute). The resulting domed church of S Maria della Salute, built at the junction of the Giudecca and Grand canals at the focal point of the city of Venice, occupied Longhena for more than 50 years and was consecrated after his death on…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01