University of Notre Dame

Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Department or Unit: University of Notre Dame remove × Collection: Architectural Lantern Slides of Greece remove × Type of Work: Image remove ×
Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Formally the Church of St. Eleutherios or Panagia Gorgoepikoos is a Byzantine era church in Athens, Greece.The Church is built on the ruins of an ancient temple dedicated to the goddess Eileithyia. It is almost entirely built of reused spolia from earlier buildings. Because of that, dating is difficult but the church was probably built after 1436. It has the name “Little Metropolis” because it is located within the bounds of the residence of the Metropolitan of Athens. Following the…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The large complex of the monastery of the Brontochion occupies the northernmost corner of the Lower Town. It has two churches, Hagioi Theodoroi and the Hodegetria, also known as Aphentiko. Hagioi Theodoroi combines a cruciform plan with a domed octagon. According to an inscription, it was built ca. 1290-1295. Only poorly preserved fragments of the original wall paintings have survived. The church has four funerary chapels; the north-east chapel contains representations of an emperor, probably…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The large complex of the monastery of the Brontochion occupies the northernmost corner of the Lower Town. It has two churches, Hagioi Theodoroi and the Hodegetria, also known as Aphentiko. Hagioi Theodoroi combines a cruciform plan with a domed octagon. According to an inscription, it was built ca. 1290-1295. Only poorly preserved fragments of the original wall paintings have survived. The church has four funerary chapels; the north-east chapel contains representations of an emperor, probably…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The church (also known as the Metropolis) stands at the north-eastern edge of the Lower Town and was originally built as a basilica with three aisles by Metropolitan Eugenios (1263-1272), who is probably portrayed in the apse. Metropolitan Nikephoros Moschopoulos (1286-1315) added the narthex, and during the 15th century another Metropolitan, Matthew, tried to adapt the basilica to the plan of the churches of the Hodegetria (or Aphentiko) and the Pantanassa by adding an upper storey in the sh…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    A 14th-century Byzantine church, part of UNESCO’s Paleochristian and Byzantine Monuments of Thessalonika. It appears that the church was originally built as the katholikon of a monastery. The founder’s inscription above the entrance, the monograms in the capitals and other inscriptions refer to Nephon I, Patriarch of Constantinople in 1310-1314, as the ktetor. Recent analysis using carbon-14 however points to a later date for the entire structure, ca. 1329. A series of Marian scenes l…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    A church in the Upper City with frescoes in the interior. Mystras was the site of the Byzantine capital of the Morea. In its heyday between the late 13th century and the mid-15th. In 1460, seven years after the fall of Constantinople to the Ottoman Turks, the last Palaiologoi of Mystras were forced to cede the city to Muhammad II. It was finally destroyed in 1825 by Ibrahim Pasha during the war of independence. The site was largely abandoned except for the southernmost part of the outer city,…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01