University of Notre Dame

Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Department or Unit: University of Notre Dame remove ×
Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Inaugurated in August 1888 by Queen Victoria, the first council meeting was held within the buildings in October 1889. The building originally had an area of 5016 square metres. The building is an interpretation of Renaissance Classicism incorporating Italianate styles with a vast range of ornate decoration, used to express the wealth and industrial export-led economic prosperity of the Second City of the Empire. The exterior sculpture, by James Alexander Ewing, included the central Jubilee P…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Currently there is sculpture in the pediment; added in 1957 by sculptor Pieter d'Hont.

    The appearance was determined by the severe facade of Bentheim sandstone, built in neoclassical style, with a temple-style front of four Doric columns. The rear section facing Oudkerkhof / Short Minrebroederstraat was added in the same style, 1844-1847. The City Hall recently had a renovation and addition built by Enric Miralles (2000, the year of his death). [Dutch language Wikipedia]

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    This is a local courthouse (Paleis van Justitie) for Den Haag; not to be confused with the International Court of Justice at the Peace Palace (Vredespaleis). It sits on the Plein, south of the Mauritshuis. It appears to be a 19th century Renaissance Revival building, but it could be older. (It is not the Renaissance era City Hall).

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Around 1100 a wooden building was constructed on the location of the current Gravenzaal of the City Hall. Traces of this building were found in 1955. After large fires in 1347 and 1351, William II, Count of Holland donated the remains of the Gravenzaal to the city’s municipality. A new building was built there. The central square building dates from the Middle Ages, but the distinctive façade of the building was designed by architect Lieven de Key and built from 1602-1604; he also built t…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    At the end of the 16th century urban administration had expanded so much that a new town hall was required. The Flemish architect Lieven de Key, who served Haarlem as municipal architect, designed a new façade in 1594 (restored after a fire in 1929). The facade still stands but the rest of the building was redesigned and rebuilt in 1932 by architect CJ Blaauw. At that time the new plaza, the Stadhuisplein, was created.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The 16th century city hall in Nijmegen is on the main Burchtstraat, which is the street heading west from the Grote Markt Damaged in the bombings of World War II, it was restored in 1953, when the paintings of the gable were restored. The exterior is decorated with statues of leaders and rulers of Nijmegen, including the Roman emperor Trajan (Nijmegen is a former Roman site). It is Renaissance with Dutch details like a stepped gable and bulbous-domed cupola. It is no longer used as the city h…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Hôtel de Ville (15th-17th century), is the seat of the cantonal government. It has a ramp (a monumental inclined plane, built 16th century) without steps, leading to the upper floors. The attached Tour Baudet (1455) contains the cantonal archives. On the ground floor of the southeast wing is the Alabama room, in which the first Geneva Convention (of the Red Cross) was signed in 1864.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The tower, the Rathausturm, was built in 1505 as a part of the fortifications of the town wall. The later hall (Rathaus) was added between 1602 and 1606 in Italian Renaissance style but crowned with an Emmentaler-style roof. It is considered one of the most important in Switzerland, combining traditional and Italian Renaissance forms. The local farmer’s market is still held in the arcaded lower floor facing the Reuss river, on the quai (riverside market area of Unter der Egg).

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The tower, the Rathausturm, was built in 1505 as a part of the fortifications of the town wall. The later hall (Rathaus) was added between 1602 and 1606 in Italian Renaissance style but crowned with an Emmentaler-style roof. It is considered one of the most important in Switzerland, combining traditional and Italian Renaissance forms. The local farmer’s market is still held in the arcaded lower floor facing the Reuss river, on the quai (riverside market area of Unter der Egg).

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Additions by Salvisberg later removed.

    Berne suffered a large fire in 1405; the oldest part of the Rathaus dates from immediately after the fire (ground-floor lobby with sculptures, ca. 1406). The building was built 1406-1415 in late Gothic style under Henry of Gengenbach and Hans Hetzel, a carpenter from Rottweil. From 1865 to 1868, there was a Neo-Gothic reconstruction under Frederick Salvisberg. A further alteration in 1940-1942 by Robert Grimm stripped away some of the Neo-Gothic ornamen…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    As Fribourg’s territory expanded, the city’s political influence grew, and by 1478 it was made a free imperial city. The town hall (from 1501), on the site of the Zähringen Fortress (destroyed 15th century), is Late Gothic in style. The ground-plan is trapezoidal, and it was originally a granary. [Hans Felder completed it in 1522. It is located within Fribourg’s Old City and today seats the Cantonal Parliament and Court.]

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The city councillors did not have their own building where they could meet until 1369, when they decided to buy a house on Carrer del Regomir and turn it into the seat of the Municipal Council. In 1373 the Saló de Cent, [Hall of One Hundred], by architect Pere Llobet, was inaugurated, in 1391 the Gothic courtyard, and in 1399 Arnau Bargués was commissioned, with the help of sculptors Jordi Joan and Pere Sanglada, for the Gothic façade on Carrer de la Ciutat, which has an image of the Archange…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01