University of Notre Dame

Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Department or Unit: University of Notre Dame remove ×
Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Rebuilt by King Edward the Confessor probably in the late 1040s, when he apparently also began the palace. The former Benedictine, now collegiate, church contains an immense quantity of monumental sculpture from the Middle Ages onwards, as well as important medieval paintings. The anonymous life of St Edward the Confessor, written 1065-1067, gives a long description of the parts of the abbey that existed when Edward died in January 1066. The Abbey became the coronation site of Norman kings, b…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    This is the highest Gothic nave in England at 101 feet (31 meters).

    Rebuilt by King Edward the Confessor probably in the late 1040s, when he apparently also began the palace. The former Benedictine, now collegiate, church contains an immense quantity of monumental sculpture from the Middle Ages onwards, as well as important medieval paintings. The anonymous life of St Edward the Confessor, written 1065-1067, gives a long description of the parts of the abbey that existed when Edward died in …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The façade is divided by two string courses of sculpted knotted ropes.

    Fortified abbey ca. 45 km south-east of Leiria, Portugal. Tomar was the seat of the Portuguese branch of the Templars, which was dissolved in 1312. The Order of Christ was established in 1319 by King Diniz (reigned 1279-1325) to inherit the Templars’ property and traditions. The rotunda or Charola was begun in 1160, the typical round church of the Templars. It is a Romanesque-Gothic, centrally planned building against…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Renaissance retable by Nicolau Chanterenne (1529-1532), placed in chapel in the 19th century.

    It is a national monument and constitutes one of the major expressions of 19th century Romanticism in the world. The palace is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The site began as a small shrine and later monastery, built 1493. From 1839 Ferdinand II and Wilhelm Ludwig Eschwege built the Palácio da Pena in a Romantic style, incorporating the remains of the Hieronymite monastery. It is magnificently set o…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The oldest of the church’s façades, the so-called Saint Joseph façade, was built in 1480 in a style very much inspired by the Flemish. The main façade is a robust Baroque tower, the upper part of which supports a spire covered with azulejos (tile). In the choir, the altarpiece is an extraordinary late Renaissance piece, created by Martínez Montañés with Baroque elements attributed to Juan de Arce. The Baroque-style Chapel of the Holy Sacrament backs onto the wall of the church. It was dec…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Both the tombs (begun 1489) and the magnificent high altar retable (retablo) were the work of Gil de Siloé, the father of Diego de Siloé. The Gothic choir stalls are the work of Martín Sánchez.

    Around 1440 Bishop Alonso de Cartagena (reigned 1415-1456) brought Juan de Colonia to Burgos. He worked at the cathedral and in 1454 began the church of the Carthusian monastery of Miraflores, which lies 3 km east of Burgos. The church, with a single-cell, five-bay nave and polygonal, star-vaulted aps…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    A single-cell, five-bay nave and polygonal, star-vaulted apse.

    Around 1440 Bishop Alonso de Cartagena (reigned 1415-1456) brought Juan de Colonia to Burgos. He worked at the cathedral and in 1454 began the church of the Carthusian monastery of Miraflores, which lies 3 km east of Burgos. The church, with a single-cell, five-bay nave and polygonal, star-vaulted apse, was completed by his son Simón and consecrated in 1496. It contains the alabaster tombs of King John II of Castile (reigned 1406…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    S Gil is noted for its octagonal, star-vaulted chapel of the Nativity of Mary by Felipe Vigarny and Diego de Siloé (both sculptors and architects). In 1486 the chancel was lengthened and rebuilt, which was followed by the opening of chapels of several wealthy families. The Chapel of the Nativity of Mary contains an altarpiece (retablo), late Gothic Plateresque in style, with twelve narrative scenes. The altar is flanked by the tombs of the founders, John and Ines de Castro Lerma, both decease…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    See photographs by Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (Library of Congress). http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/

    During the 16th and 17th centuries Yaroslavl’ became one of the largest trading centres in Russia. St. John Chrysostom’s Church is in the Korovniki borough (Korovnitskaya) of Yaroslavl, across the Kotorosl River. The summer Church of Ioann Zlatoust [John Chrysostom] was built in 1649 and has frescos and iconostasis dating from 1732. The team of painters was led …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Because of increased popular devotion to a miracle-working image of the Virgin and Child housed there, a competition was held in 1480 to design a new building for the Miracoli. Initially Pietro Lombardo was hired to supervise the construction of a simple votive chapel; plans were revised and stipulated that the structure, now apparently regarded as a convent church rather than a chapel, should be vaulted and have a chancel. Pietro’s solution for the revised project was ingenious: he eleva…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Originally part of a Benedictine convent (destroyed in Napoleonic times). For S Maria in Organo, Sanmicheli designed a stone façade (1547) that was completed only up to the level of the main entablature; above it there would probably have been an attic storey with a pediment at the centre. The composition, with a central portal and side windows, is common to other Veronese churches. The most famous works inside the church are the wood inlays (intarsia) of the choir and sacristy, which depict …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Church of the Holy Crucifix (the largest church) is located out of view, to the right (corner visible).

    This group of monastic buildings dates chiefly from the Romanesque period, although the complex originated much earlier, and fragments of earlier buildings survive. The complex as a whole is documented from the 9th century with the title ‘Santo Stefano detto Gerusalemme’, or ‘Sancta Gerusalemme’. None of the surviving churches now bears the name of S Stefano. It is locally …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01