University of Notre Dame

Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Department or Unit: University of Notre Dame remove ×
Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    In 1855 Haussmann completed an enormous new boulevard, originally called boulevard de Sébastopol-rive-gauche, now called Boulevard Saint-Michel, which opened up the small place Pont-Saint-Michel into a much larger space. Davioud was charged with the new facades and fountain of the square. The prefect authorities asked to build a fountain to hide the end wall of the building at the corner of boulevard Saint-Michel and Saint-André des Arts. The iconography is the Archangel Michael wrestling the…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The collegiate church of St Urbain epitomizes the high degree of refinement and sophistication achieved by French Rayonnant architecture during the third quarter of the 13th century. St Urbain was founded by Pope Urban IV in May 1262 on the site of his birthplace. Although attempts have been made to attribute St Urbain to Jean Langlois, mentioned as ‘magister operis’ in a fabric account, it seems more likely that he was a financial official charged with disbursing papal funds. Thus th…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The collegiate church of St Urbain epitomizes the high degree of refinement and sophistication achieved by French Rayonnant architecture during the third quarter of the 13th century. St Urbain was founded by Pope Urban IV in May 1262 on the site of his birthplace. Although attempts have been made to attribute St Urbain to Jean Langlois, mentioned as ‘magister operis’ in a fabric account, it seems more likely that he was a financial official charged with disbursing papal funds. Thus th…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Inside the cathedral are the tomb of Francis II, Duke of Brittany and of his wife Marguerite de Foix, (the parents of Anne of Brittany), made at the beginning of the 16th century by Michel Colombe and Jean Perréal.

    The construction of the cathedral began in 1434, on the site of a Romanesque cathedral, and took 457 years to finish, finally reaching completion in 1891. The first architect in charge was Guillaume de Dammartin who was later replaced by Mathurin Rodier. The construction began wit…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The original is in Nantes Cathedral. Large scale plaster cast collections (such as the Cast Court of the Victoria and Albert Museum) were very popular ca. 1870-1910.

    The construction of the cathedral began in 1434, on the site of a Romanesque cathedral, and took 457 years to finish, finally reaching completion in 1891. The first architect in charge was Guillaume de Dammartin who was later replaced by Mathurin Rodier. The construction began with the west façade, the aisles of the nave and its…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Le Vau proposed in 1668 a plan which preserved the original château at the centre, surrounding it by an ‘enveloppe’, which entirely screened it from the garden side but left it visible from the courtyard. The new building was in white ashlar. The palace interiors were fitted up in the 1670s while building works continued: the apartments of the King and Queen were decorated in marbles of various colours, and the ceiling paintings were entrusted to Charles Le Brun and his team. The enla…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Sculpture dates from 1120-1138. The subject is the Old Testament story of Moses confronting the Golden Calf- an idol created by the Israelites while Moses was absent (Exodus XXXII, 15-19). A demon sits atop the Golden Calf. Location is north side of nave, sixth arcade pier.

    Former Cluniac abbey and pilgrimage church in Burgundy, France. Founded in the mid-9th century by Girart de Roussillon. Vézelay’s prosperity in the 11th and 12th centuries was based on its possession of the putative r…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The left portal (Porte St-Jean) is an important survivor of the 12th-century Early Gothic period. The tympanum depicts the martyrdom of St. John the Baptist. In the lower register, Salome performs a balancing act (like a medieval jongleur) before King Herod, John is executed, and his head is presented on a platter. The upper register illustrates the legend that John was taken into heaven in ecstasy just before his death.

    The present building comprises an aisled nave of 11 bays, with a series…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The current decor was done partly under Louis-Philippe; Napoleon III used it as a dining room. The marble fireplace is a collection of sculpture; a bust of Henri IV made in 1600 by Mathieu Jacquet, reliefs by Bontemps 1555-1556, and figures by Plantar, 1836.

    In April 1528 Francis I commissioned Gilles Le Breton for a programme of building (completed 1540) at Fontainebleau. The Cour de l'Ovale was to be rebuilt using the old foundations and retaining the old keep, while a gallery, now the…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Work on the cloister began with the northern gallery, then the eastern gallery, which were finished around 1210-1220. The third capital of the eastern gallery shows the Annunciation to the shepherds, with two startled goats climbing the Tree of Life.

    The outer walls of the present cathedral of St Trophîme are normally assigned to the Carolingian period. The church was reconstructed with a nave and aisles in the Romanesque style during the first quarter of the 12th century, and a new Gothic c…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The present building comprises an aisled nave of 11 bays, with a series of aisle chapels, and an apsidal choir with an ambulatory and three spaced radiating chapels. The substantial transept arms are aisled on both sides, with large eastern chapels, and developed portals flanked by towers. A massive lantern tower lights the crossing. The two western towers, the Tour St. Romain (1160-1170) to the north and the Tour de Beurre to the south, flank the façade, rising beyond rather than above the w…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Marble and alabaster tomb in the choir of Rouen Cathedral, which depicted the deceased kneeling. Completed in 1523, it was transformed in 1525 to serve as a cenotaph for Georges II as well. The monument is profusely carved and includes Virtues, Saints, Apostles, a prominent relief of St George and the Dragon, and others with Italianate candelabra, swags and grotesques. Roulland Le Roux was overseer, assisted by the sculptors João de Ruão, who began the weepers, Mathieu Laignel (fl 1513-25), R…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01