University of Notre Dame

Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Department or Unit: University of Notre Dame remove × Type of Work: Image remove ×
Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Site of Pre-Columbian Maya and Toltec city in the Yucatán peninsula, Mexico. It flourished during the Post-Classic period (ca. 900-1521 CE). Chichén Itzá (‘mouth of the well of the Itzá’) is named after its ‘Sacred Cenote’, a natural limestone sinkhole that served as a focus for pilgrimages and sacrificial offerings. Close artistic correspondences between Chichén Itzá and Tula in Hidalgo have suggested that the Central-Highland Mesoamericans invaded Yucatán and forced the loca…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Pre-Columbian site in the Mexican Central Highlands. It was the region’s pre-eminent city during the Late Pre-Classic and Classic periods (c. 250 BC-c. AD 900). Little is known about their ethnic origins, but, with a population estimated at up to 200,000, in the 6th century AD Teotihuacán was the largest and most populous city in the Pre-Columbian Americas and sixth most populous in the world. The religion of Teotihuacan was similar to those of other Mesoamerican cultures. Many of the sam…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Rebuilt by King Edward the Confessor probably in the late 1040s, when he apparently also began the palace. The former Benedictine, now collegiate, church contains an immense quantity of monumental sculpture from the Middle Ages onwards, as well as important medieval paintings. The anonymous life of St Edward the Confessor, written 1065-1067, gives a long description of the parts of the abbey that existed when Edward died in January 1066. The Abbey became the coronation site of Norman kings, b…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    This is the highest Gothic nave in England at 101 feet (31 meters).

    Rebuilt by King Edward the Confessor probably in the late 1040s, when he apparently also began the palace. The former Benedictine, now collegiate, church contains an immense quantity of monumental sculpture from the Middle Ages onwards, as well as important medieval paintings. The anonymous life of St Edward the Confessor, written 1065-1067, gives a long description of the parts of the abbey that existed when Edward died in …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The seat of the Anglican Bishop of Carlisle. It is located in Carlisle, in Cumbria, North West England. It was founded as an Augustinian monastery and became a cathedral in 1133. Carlisle, because of heavy losses to its fabric, is the second smallest (after Oxford), of England’s ancient cathedrals. Its notable features include some fine figurative stone carving, a set of 15th century choir stalls and the largest window in the Flowing Decorated Gothic style in England (the East window).

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    According to legend, it was built to enshrine eight hairs from the head of the Buddha. Its documented history begins in the 14th century with Binnya U (reigned 1353-1385), ruler of the Mon kingdom of Pegu, who raised the stupa to a height of 22 m; his granddaughter, Queen Shin Sawbu (reigned 1453-1472), built and enlarged the square platform, raised the stupa again and gilded it. In the 17th and 18th centuries it was damaged by earthquakes several times and repaired. In 1774 the Konbaung king…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Queen’s Golden Monastery was constructed in 1885 on the orders of Queen Supayalat, wife of Thibaw, the last king of Burma (reigned 1878-1885). It was barely completed when she was exiled to India with her husband following the annexation of Upper Burma by the British Empire. Now destroyed (burned during WWII), it stood in the grounds of the Royal Palace and was a magnificent gilded teak building richly decorated with ornate woodcarving, mirrored glass mosaic and surrounded by intricat…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The last capital of the Burmese kings, Mandalay was founded in 1857 by King Mindon (reigned 1853-1878). Mandalay Hill, contained numerous great religious foundations, among them the Ku-tho-daw where 729 stone slabs were engraved in 1857 with sacred Buddhist texts, the Tipitaka, (the entire Pali Canon of Theravada Buddhism), each one protected by a small stone pavilion. It is called the “world’s largest book.” The stupa itself, which is gilded above its terraces, is 188 feet (57 …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    In 1251 fire destroyed part of the 11th-century cathedral. Rebuilding started after 1288, but a plan had already been made in 1254. The choir is heavily influenced by French Rayonnant churches. About 1315 the transepts were reached, but not built. Between 1321 and 1381 a single tower 112 m high was erected to the west of the old Romanesque nave. The Gothic transepts and the nave were built during the 15th century and early 16th, but the nave collapsed during the storm of 1674 and was never re…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    From 1893 Berlage gradually succeeded in eliminating historicist forms from his buildings, coinciding with a general trend in architecture and the visual arts in Europe and the USA. Located on the Damrak, in the center of Amsterdam, the Beurs was designed as a commodity exchange. As a champion of Gesamtkunstwerk he included in this building all the visual arts, and in such a way that the work was executed entirely under his supervision in order to guarantee the concept of “Unity in Varie…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The American Hotel on the Leidseplein is a hotel and café restaurant with an Jugendstil reading room. It was built in 1898-1902 by W. Kromhout and W.G. Jansen in the style of Hendrik Petrus Berlage. In 1927-1928 an expansion was realized from a design by the architect G.J. Rutgers in collaboration with K. Bakker. Both the expansion and the café are National Heritage sites.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The cloister was built under the architect Fernão de Évora between 1448 and 1477. The arcade screens, in the Manueline style, were added later by Mateus Fernandes. Two different patterns alternate, one with the cross of the Order of Christ, the other with armillaries.

    Former Dominican priory, dedicated to S Maria da Vitória, about 10 km south of Leiria, Portugal. Founded by John I (João I, reigned 1385-1433), the first king of the Aviz dynasty, to celebrate the Battle of Aljubarrota (1385), …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01