University of Notre Dame

Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Department or Unit: University of Notre Dame remove ×
Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Each door has a blind horseshoe arch inscribed in an alfiz above an arched lintel and are framed with niches and blind arcades that often exhibit such complex arch types as interlaced or polylobed arches.

    Constructed on a simple hypostyle plan, ‛Abd al-Rahman’s mosque of 785 consisted of 11 aisles of 12 bays that, like the Great Mosque at Damascus, ran perpendicular to a walled court. Each bay was defined by a set of two-tiered horseshoe arches with alternating red brick and white stone …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Constructed on a simple hypostyle plan, ‛Abd al-Rahman’s mosque of 785 consisted of 11 aisles of 12 bays that, like the Great Mosque at Damascus, ran perpendicular to a walled court. Each bay was defined by a set of two-tiered horseshoe arches with alternating red brick and white stone voussoirs, which were later coloured. It was enlarged by building programs until 988. In 1236 Ferdinand III of Castile and a number of bishops purified the Great Mosque for Christian worship, consecrating i…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Baroque choir and choir-stalls (1725-1733) were designed by Joaquín de Churriguera and Alberto de Churriguera.

    By the late 15th century the Romanesque cathedral no longer reflected Salamanca’s status as seat of Castile’s premier university, and in 1491 the chapter resolved to build a new church. In 1509 Ferdinand the Catholic ordered Alfonso Rodríguez (died ca. 1512) and Antón Egas to go to Salamanca, inspect the site and prepare a plan. The New Cathedral has many similarities to…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Bristles with decorative forms, and coats of arms in a mix of revival styles including Gothic, Manueline and Mudéjar forms.

    It is a national monument and constitutes one of the major expressions of 19th century Romanticism in the world. The palace is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The site began as a small shrine and later monastery, built 1493. From 1839 Ferdinand II and Wilhelm Ludwig Eschwege built the Palácio da Pena in a Romantic style, incorporating the remains of the Hieronymite monast…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The inner court has lower arches supported by square columns with pilasters, while in the upper ones they are supported by shorter round columns in Carrara marble.

    It was built from 1493 to 1517 by Rodrigo Arias de Maldonado, a knight of the Order of Santiago de Compostela and a professor in the University of Salamanca. Its most peculiar feature is the façade, mixing late Gothic and Plateresque style, decorated with more than 300 shells, symbol of the order of Santiago, as well as of the pil…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    It was built from 1493 to 1517 by Rodrigo Arias de Maldonado, a knight of the Order of Santiago de Compostela and a professor in the University of Salamanca. Its most peculiar feature is the façade, mixing late Gothic and Plateresque style, decorated with more than 300 shells, symbol of the order of Santiago, as well as of the pilgrims performing the Way of St. James. On the façade are also the coat of arms of the Catholic Kings. The entrance portal has the coat of arms of the Maldonado famil…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    It is a national monument and constitutes one of the major expressions of 19th century Romanticism in the world. The palace is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The site began as a small shrine and later monastery, built 1493. From 1839 Ferdinand II and Wilhelm Ludwig Eschwege built the Palácio da Pena in a Romantic style, incorporating the remains of the Hieronymite monastery. It is magnificently set on a peak surrounded by the forested Pena Park and incorporates a variety of architectural style…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The façade is divided by two string courses of sculpted knotted ropes.

    Fortified abbey ca. 45 km south-east of Leiria, Portugal. Tomar was the seat of the Portuguese branch of the Templars, which was dissolved in 1312. The Order of Christ was established in 1319 by King Diniz (reigned 1279-1325) to inherit the Templars’ property and traditions. The rotunda or Charola was begun in 1160, the typical round church of the Templars. It is a Romanesque-Gothic, centrally planned building against…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Salón de los Embajadores (Hall of the Ambassadors) is the largest in the Alhambra and occupies all the Torre de Comares. It is a square room, the sides being 12 m (37 ft) in length, while the centre of the dome is 23 m (75 ft) high. This was the grand reception room, and the throne of the sultan was placed opposite the entrance. It was in this setting that Christopher Columbus received Isabel and Ferdinand’s support to sail to the New World. The tilework is extensive.

    The palaces of …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Renaissance retable by Nicolau Chanterenne (1529-1532), placed in chapel in the 19th century.

    It is a national monument and constitutes one of the major expressions of 19th century Romanticism in the world. The palace is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The site began as a small shrine and later monastery, built 1493. From 1839 Ferdinand II and Wilhelm Ludwig Eschwege built the Palácio da Pena in a Romantic style, incorporating the remains of the Hieronymite monastery. It is magnificently set o…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    It was built from 1493 to 1517 by Rodrigo Arias de Maldonado, a knight of the Order of Santiago de Compostela and a professor in the University of Salamanca. Its most peculiar feature is the façade, mixing late Gothic and Plateresque style, decorated with more than 300 shells, symbol of the order of Santiago, as well as of the pilgrims performing the Way of St. James. On the façade are also the coat of arms of the Catholic Kings. The entrance portal has the coat of arms of the Maldonado famil…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Palácio Nacional (or Palácio da Vila) was used by the kings of Portugal for hunting and leisure. It is traditionally held to have been started during Moorish rule: numerous later additions (begun 1415) were made by John I of Aviz and, notably, by Manuel I in the 16th century. The skyline of the town is dominated by the large conical chimneys of the palace . It consists of a conglomeration of square buildings around open courtyards, an outstanding example of palace design originating in th…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01