University of Notre Dame

Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Department or Unit: University of Notre Dame remove ×
Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Statue of the Moorish king, Kaspar (shown as a Black man in the traditional iconography of the three kings of the Nativity of Jesus). It is brightly painted. The column dates from 1520, and the decagonale (ten-sided) trough was probably created by Augustin Henkel. It is part of a Late Gothic or early Renaissance tradition in Swiss city fountains, most executed between 1535-1560. The most significant sculptors in this genre were Hans Geiler (fl 1513-1534), Hans Gieng (fl 1525-1562) and Laurent…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The palaces of the Alhambra and Generalife form the most important architectural ensemble to survive from the Nasrid period (1232–1492). The walled Alhambra city which sits on a steep hill, comprised the Alcazaba (alqaṣaba: ‘fortress’), palaces, mansions, two mosques, baths (ḥammams), an industrial zone with tanneries, a mint, kilns, workshops, and some adjacent royal estates such as the Generalife. The Generalife was built on ascending terraces. The sovereign reached the Generalife&#…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Muhammad V built the Riyaḍ Palace (known since the Reconquest as the Palacio de los Leones) which contains the cruciform Patio de los Leones at the heart of the palace, which has a central fountain with twelve stylized standing lions, carved in white marble to fit exactly the proportions of the patio; the lions support a polygonal basin inscribed with a poem by Ibn Zamrak, a pupil of Ibn al-Khaṭib.

    The palaces of the Alhambra and Generalife form the most important architectural ensemble to s…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Muhammad V built the Riyaḍ Palace (known since the Reconquest as the Palacio de los Leones) which contains the cruciform Patio de los Leones at the heart of the palace, which has a central fountain with twelve stylized standing lions, carved in white marble to fit exactly the proportions of the patio; the lions support a polygonal basin inscribed with a poem by Ibn Zamrak, a pupil of Ibn al-Khaṭib.

    The palaces of the Alhambra and Generalife form the most important architectural ensemble to s…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Muhammad V built the Riyaḍ Palace (known since the Reconquest as the Palacio de los Leones) which contains the cruciform Patio de los Leones at the heart of the palace, which has a central fountain with twelve stylized standing lions, carved in white marble to fit exactly the proportions of the patio; the lions support a polygonal basin inscribed with a poem by Ibn Zamrak, a pupil of Ibn al-Khaṭib.

    The palaces of the Alhambra and Generalife form the most important architectural ensemble to s…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The central facade is the propylaeum from Roman times, which had been repurposed in the Christian church, and finally in the mosque.

    The Great Mosque of Damascus constructed by the Umayyad caliph al-Walid I (reigned 705-715), is a seminal monument of Islamic architecture. The site chosen was the holiest in the city, having successively held temples to the Syrian storm-god Hadad and Jupiter Damascenus and the church of John the Baptist (the mosque still contains a shrine to John the Baptist)….

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Great Mosque of Damascus constructed by the Umayyad caliph al-Walid I (reigned 705-715), is a seminal monument of Islamic architecture. The site chosen was the holiest in the city, having successively held temples to the Syrian storm-god Hadad and Jupiter Damascenus and the church of John the Baptist (the mosque still contains a shrine to John the Baptist). The prayer hall used the existing propylaeum and is laid out internally on an east-west axis like a Christian basilica.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Fritschi Fountain was built in 1918 on Kapellplatz. Though actually less than 100 years old, the fountain stands in the tradition of much older Renaissance style fountains with painted allegoric figures on top. The figure on top of the Fritschi Fountain is not Fritschi himself, but a standard bearer. The 4 column masks on the column represent Fritschi, his wife, a nursemaid and a servant. There are 4 fools spewing water from goat horns near the base. The story of the legendary Brother Fri…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The column and the statue were sculpted in 1584-1585 by Laurent Perroud from Neuchâtel and his son Jacques, the former having passed away before its completion. Laurent Perroud built a number of fountains throughout western Switzerland. In particular he depicted Justice in Neuchâtel, Soleure and Moudon. The fountain in Lausanne features the typical blindfolded young woman bearing a sword and scales. The Pope, the Emperor, the Grand Turk and a magistrate are bowing in submission at her feet. T…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    There are over 100 public fountains in the city of Bern of which eleven are crowned with Renaissance allegorical statues. The statues were created during the period of civic improvement that occurred as Bern became a major city-state during the 16th century. Hans Gieng (first mentioned 1525-died 1562) was a Swiss Renaissance sculptor best known for his public fountain figures in the Old Town of Bern as well as Fribourg. Gieng, who was probably of Swabian origin, is recorded to have become a c…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Fribourg has numerous 16th-century fountains. These great basins with columns in the middle, surmounted by biblical or allegorical figures, originally served as a source of drinkable water. This one is in the original location. A sculpted gnome holds tanner’s tools, a reference to the guild in the neighborhood. The top sculpture represents Christ and the Samaritan woman at Jacob’s well, a circular well above which there is a semicircular arch richly decorated with representations of t…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Fribourg has numerous 16th-century fountains. These great basins with columns in the middle, surmounted by biblical or allegorical figures, originally served as a source of drinkable water. They were made of limestone, but, due to shifting traffic patterns, most have been repositioned and replaced by copies. This fountain is in the original position and has a composite capital with the heads of Herod, Herodias, Salome, and St. John the Baptist, topped with a full figure of St. John the Baptis…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01