University of Notre Dame

Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Department or Unit: University of Notre Dame remove ×
Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The main construction began in 1746 under the direction of the Infante Dom Pedro of Braganza (1717-1786), uncle and subsequently king-consort (as Peter III) to Mary I. It became the official royal residence from 10 November 1794 until 27 November 1807, when the Napoleonic invasion forced the royal family to depart for exile in Brazil. The new central east wing (1746-1758) and the chapel (1750-1752) were designed by Mateus Vicente de Oliveira. The main façade of this wing was turned inwards to…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    A luxury hotel located in the mountain range of Serra do Bussaco, in the municipality of Mealhada, in central Portugal, built around remnants of a Discalced Carmelite convent established in 1628, including the church and notable gardens. The Carmelites left Buçaco in the mid-19th century, as the religious orders were dissolved in Portugal. Late in the century there were plans to turn the ancient convent into a royal residence for Queen Maria Pia, wife of King Luís I. However, difficult politi…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The main construction began in 1746 under the direction of the Infante Dom Pedro of Braganza (1717-1786), uncle and subsequently king-consort (as Peter III) to Mary I. It became the official royal residence from 10 November 1794 until 27 November 1807, when the Napoleonic invasion forced the royal family to depart for exile in Brazil. The new central east wing (1746-1758) and the chapel (1750-1752) were designed by Mateus Vicente de Oliveira. The main façade of this wing was turned inwards to…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The restorer Aleksey Denisov was called upon to design a replica of extraordinary accuracy, rebuilt 1994-1997.

    Ton transformed the plan of the grandiose cruciform and domed church of Christ the Redeemer (1832-1838; destroyed 1934; rebuilt 1994-1997) in Moscow by designing a two-storey gallery on one side of the central block to house a museum. The church was built as a memorial to Russia’s victory in the Patriotic War of 1812-1814. Ton excelled at the Russo-Byzantine style; he also combi…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The palaces of the Alhambra and Generalife form the most important architectural ensemble to survive from the Nasrid period (1232–1492). The walled Alhambra city which sits on a steep hill, comprised the Alcazaba (alqaṣaba: ‘fortress’), palaces, mansions, two mosques, baths (ḥammams), an industrial zone with tanneries, a mint, kilns, workshops, and some adjacent royal estates such as the Generalife. The Generalife was built on ascending terraces. The sovereign reached the Generalife&#…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The palaces of the Alhambra and Generalife form the most important architectural ensemble to survive from the Nasrid period (1232–1492). The walled Alhambra city which sits on a steep hill, comprised the Alcazaba (alqaṣaba: ‘fortress’), palaces, mansions, two mosques, baths (ḥammams), an industrial zone with tanneries, a mint, kilns, workshops, and some adjacent royal estates such as the Generalife. The Generalife was built on ascending terraces. The sovereign reached the Generalife&#…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Patio of the Evangelists is a gardened patio (courtyard) in whose center rises the Doric tempietto, built between 1586 and 1591, to designs by Herrera. It contains sculptures of the Evangelists. Around the patio are the galleries of the main cloister, decorated with frescoes of scenes of the Redemption.

    A complex which contains a monastery, palace, school, mausoleum and museum; Philip II built the monastery 1563-1584 as a memorial to victory over French in 1557. It became his main reside…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The inner court has lower arches supported by square columns with pilasters, while in the upper ones they are supported by shorter round columns in Carrara marble.

    It was built from 1493 to 1517 by Rodrigo Arias de Maldonado, a knight of the Order of Santiago de Compostela and a professor in the University of Salamanca. Its most peculiar feature is the façade, mixing late Gothic and Plateresque style, decorated with more than 300 shells, symbol of the order of Santiago, as well as of the pil…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Spanish palace that stands beside the rivers Tagus and Jarama in the province of Madrid. It was intended as a spring and summer residence for the royal family and is renowned for its gardens and fountains. The old palace was extensively enlarged by Philip II. The chapel was designed by Juan Bautista de Toledo and completed by Jerónimo Gili and Juan de Herrera. It was built in a combination of white stone from Colmenar de Oreja and brick, giving a two-toned effect that was adopted for the rest…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The term derives from the Arabic word al-qasr meaning “fort, castle or palace”; the Arabic word comes from the Latin “castrum”, meaning an army camp or fort. It was originally a Visigothic fortress. Abd al-Rahman II (reigned 822-852) enlarged Córdoba’s Alcázar and built an aqueduct to supply the city with drinking water. Abd Allah (reigned 888-912) also expanded the Alcázar. Córdoba was reconquered from the Muslims by Ferdinand III of Castile (reigned 1217-1252) in 123…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Dar al-Imara (913-914), the original nucleus of the Alcázar, was built over the old basilica by the Umayyad ruler Abd al-Rahman III (reg 912-961) and was enlarged in the 11th century by a series of fortified walls extending towards the west, which resulted in a new palace complex called Alcázar al-Mubarak, or El Bendito. After the Reconquista the Alcázar became the favourite residence of the monarchs of Castile. Peter the Cruel (reigned 1350-1369) substantially rebuilt (1364-1366) the Alc…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Dar al-Imara (913-914), the original nucleus of the Alcázar, was built over the old basilica by the Umayyad ruler Abd al-Rahman III (reg 912-961) and was enlarged in the 11th century by a series of fortified walls extending towards the west, which resulted in a new palace complex called Alcázar al-Mubarak, or El Bendito. After the Reconquista the Alcázar became the favourite residence of the monarchs of Castile. Peter the Cruel (reigned 1350-1369) substantially rebuilt (1364-1366) the Alc…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01