University of Notre Dame

Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Department or Unit: University of Notre Dame remove ×
Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Site of Pre-Columbian Maya and Toltec city in the Yucatán peninsula, Mexico. It flourished during the Post-Classic period (ca. 900-1521 CE). Chichén Itzá (‘mouth of the well of the Itzá’) is named after its ‘Sacred Cenote’, a natural limestone sinkhole that served as a focus for pilgrimages and sacrificial offerings. Close artistic correspondences between Chichén Itzá and Tula in Hidalgo have suggested that the Central-Highland Mesoamericans invaded Yucatán and forced the loca…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Salón de los Embajadores (Hall of the Ambassadors) is the largest in the Alhambra and occupies all the Torre de Comares. It is a square room, the sides being 12 m (37 ft) in length, while the centre of the dome is 23 m (75 ft) high. This was the grand reception room, and the throne of the sultan was placed opposite the entrance. It was in this setting that Christopher Columbus received Isabel and Ferdinand’s support to sail to the New World. The tilework is extensive.

    The palaces of …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Muhammad V built the Riyaḍ Palace (known since the Reconquest as the Palacio de los Leones) which contains the cruciform Patio de los Leones at the heart of the palace, which has a central fountain with twelve stylized standing lions, carved in white marble to fit exactly the proportions of the patio; the lions support a polygonal basin inscribed with a poem by Ibn Zamrak, a pupil of Ibn al-Khaṭib.

    The palaces of the Alhambra and Generalife form the most important architectural ensemble to s…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Muhammad V built the Riyaḍ Palace (known since the Reconquest as the Palacio de los Leones) which contains the cruciform Patio de los Leones at the heart of the palace, which has a central fountain with twelve stylized standing lions, carved in white marble to fit exactly the proportions of the patio; the lions support a polygonal basin inscribed with a poem by Ibn Zamrak, a pupil of Ibn al-Khaṭib.

    The palaces of the Alhambra and Generalife form the most important architectural ensemble to s…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The palaces of the Alhambra and Generalife form the most important architectural ensemble to survive from the Nasrid period (1232–1492). The walled Alhambra city which sits on a steep hill, comprised the Alcazaba (alqaṣaba: ‘fortress’), palaces, mansions, two mosques, baths (ḥammams), an industrial zone with tanneries, a mint, kilns, workshops, and some adjacent royal estates such as the Generalife. The Generalife was built on ascending terraces. The sovereign reached the Generalife&#…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The palaces of the Alhambra and Generalife form the most important architectural ensemble to survive from the Nasrid period (1232–1492). The walled Alhambra city which sits on a steep hill, comprised the Alcazaba (alqaṣaba: ‘fortress’), palaces, mansions, two mosques, baths (ḥammams), an industrial zone with tanneries, a mint, kilns, workshops, and some adjacent royal estates such as the Generalife. The Generalife was built on ascending terraces. The sovereign reached the Generalife&#…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The palaces of the Alhambra and Generalife form the most important architectural ensemble to survive from the Nasrid period (1232–1492). The walled Alhambra city which sits on a steep hill, comprised the Alcazaba (alqaṣaba: ‘fortress’), palaces, mansions, two mosques, baths (ḥammams), an industrial zone with tanneries, a mint, kilns, workshops, and some adjacent royal estates such as the Generalife. The Generalife was built on ascending terraces. The sovereign reached the Generalife&#…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Grigi completed the Palazzo Coccina Tiepolo, incorporating several elements traceable to other sources: the single lights, for example, recall Palladio, while the high-level oculi are characteristic of Jacopo Sansovino. The house was complete by ca. 1560. It is notable for interior decorations by Giambattista Tiepolo and a well preserved hall of mirrors.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Along the Grand Canal the number of “fondaco” houses increased, buildings combining the warehouse on the canal level and the merchant’s residence above. Ca’ Sagredo started in this manner, with alterations by Andrea Tirali in the 18th century. (The Sagredo acquired the building from a branch of the Morosini in the 18th century.) The interior decoration includes a three-flight staircase by Tirali and paintings by Pietro Longhi, Andrea Urbani and Giovanni Battista Tiepolo. The…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    One of Bologna’s most remarkable buildings is located in Via D'Azeglio, built between 1477 and 1482 by jurist Niccolò Sanuti. The building greatly differs from Bolognese architectural canons, and looks more like Tuscan Renaissance buildings. The use of rustication on the facade like the Palazzo dei Diamanti in Ferrara is interesting. The internal courtyard with its two loggias is ornately decorated with sculptures and terra cotta relief work. Paul III held some of the Council of Trent…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Agha Muhammad (reigned 1779-1797) selected the citadel for his palace and administrative centre, and Fath ‛Ali Shah (reigned 1797-1834) completed the Gulistan (‘Rose Garden’) Palace. The only buildings that remain from this sprawling complex with luxuriant gardens set with pools and pavilions are the Takht-i Marmar, a columnar audience hall, and the ‛Imarat-i Badgir on the north and south sides. Between 1925 and 1945 a large portion of the buildings of the palace were destroyed on the…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The palace was built in 1260 by Guglielmo Boccanegra, uncle of Simone Boccanegra, the first Doge of Genoa. For the construction of the new palace, materials were used from the demolition of the Venetian embassy in Constantinople, having been obtained from Byzantine Emperor Michael VIII as a reward for Genoese aid against the Latin Empire. Stone lions, the emblem of Venice’s patron St. Mark were displayed as trophies on the facade by her bitter rival, the Republic of Genoa. The palace was …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01