University of Notre Dame

Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Department or Unit: University of Notre Dame remove ×
Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Its construction was extremely protracted, but as early as 1735 the architectural framework was complete, and by Salvi’s death the ornamental rock formations and full-scale models of most of the sculpture were in place. The fountain is the most monumental water display in Rome and represents the culmination of a tradition of combining water and sculpture within an elaborate architectural setting. Salvi treated an existing façade of the Palazzo Poli as a nine-bay unit with the central thre…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Roman bronze pinecone sculpture is visible in the center

    The main adjunct to the Vatican Palace designed by Bramante is the colossal extension known as the Cortile del Belvedere, on which work began in the spring of 1505. The design was modified by Pirro Ligorio before its completion (ca. 1565) and altered by Domenico Fontana (1587-1588). At the time of its construction, the Belvedere was the largest building built in Rome since the Ancient Romans. It now houses various Vatican museums. …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The 1st century Roman bronze Pigna (“pinecone”) in front of the exedra (“niccione”), gives the name Cortile della Pigna to the highest terrace; it was an ancient fountain moved to the site in the 15th century.

    The main adjunct to the Vatican Palace designed by Bramante is the colossal extension known as the Cortile del Belvedere, on which work began in the spring of 1505. The design was modified by Pirro Ligorio before its completion (ca. 1565) and altered by Domenico Fon…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Designed by Antonio Rizzo between 1483 and 1485, the sculptural work on the staircase was finally completed in 1491. The name comes from the two colossal stone statues of Mars and Neptune by Jacopo Sansovino, which were erected on the upper parapet in 1567.

    “The Doge’s Palace, Venice, has façades which date from 1309-1424, designed by Giovanni and Bartolomeo Buon. [Bono] The palace, started in the ninth century, several times rebuilt, and completed in the Renaissance period, forms p…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Giovanni and Bartolomeo Bon created the Porta della Carta (1438-1442), a monumental Late Gothic gate on the Piazzetta side of the palace. This gate leads to a central courtyard. Above the cornice, Francesco Foscari (Doge when the gateway was built) is shown kneeling before the Lion of St. Mark.

    “The Doge’s Palace, Venice, has façades which date from 1309-1424, designed by Giovanni and Bartolomeo Buon. [Bono] The palace, started in the ninth century, several times rebuilt, and comple…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The sculptures of the rulers of Naples are visible in the niches on the facade.

    [It is one of the four residences used by the Bourbon Kings of Naples during their rule of the Kingdom of Two Sicilies (1730-1860).] The most important royal building scheme of the early 17th century was the completion of the Palazzo Reale by Domenico Fontana and his son Giulio Cesare Fontana ( fl 1593-1627) at the centre of the city. After a first stage of building in 1600-1602, it was continued after Domenico&#…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The western façade side of the building (fronting on Piazza del Plebiscito) now displays a series of statues of the rulers of dynasties to rule Naples since the foundation of the Kingdom of Naples in the twelfth century.

    [It is one of the four residences used by the Bourbon Kings of Naples during their rule of the Kingdom of Two Sicilies (1730-1860).] The most important royal building scheme of the early 17th century was the completion of the Palazzo Reale by Domenico Fontana and his son Giu…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The nineteenth-century rear façade (not the curved Baroque facade) of the Palazzo Carignano facing on Piazza Carlo Alberto.

    Guarini’s most renowned achievement in secular architecture is the Palazzo Carignano in Turin. The palace was originally designed to have four wings around a large courtyard, but it was completed in 1683 as an open three-winged composition; decorating and finishing continued well into the 18th century. It is most noted for the curved facade. The facade of the centra…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Begun in 1521 to the plans of Andrea Formigine (Andrea di Pietro Machesi, known as Il Formigine). It owes its uniqueness to the 177 heads that decorate the façade. The stone heads are attributed to Alfonso Lombardi and Nicola da Volterra. It was known for its art and music salon (casino) in the early 19th century which included the poet Giacomo Leopardi. The facade to the west (number 18) is known as the Palazzo Isolani (not to be confused with Casa Isolani, which runs behind it), or “an…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The first Episcopal Palace dated from the 1190s. The present building is 15th century. The interior is notable for the fresco decoration of 1567 which features landscape views and portraits of the bishops of Verona by Domenico Brusasorci. The patron was Agostino Valier, bishop of Verona (1565-1599). The main model for this was the Hall of Bishops in Padua. The practice has been continued to the present with portraits in the anteroom.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Founded under Emperor Augustus in ca. 28 BCE as a colonial settlement for military veterans, the orthogonal street layout of the Roman castrum forms the nucleus of modern Turin. The Roman walls were reinforced with towers under the comune. The east gate, which connected the city to the River Po, was radically rebuilt in 1317-1319, when it became the fortified Castello degli Acaja (now Palazzo Madama). It passed to the House of Savoy. Marie Jeanne of Savoy, lived in the palace, conferring upon…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    A group of buildings in Mantua, built between the 14th and the 17th century mainly by the noble family of Gonzaga as their royal residence in the capital of their Duchy. The buildings are connected by corridors and galleries and are enriched by inner courts and wide gardens. The complex includes some 500 rooms and occupies an area of ca. 34,000 m². Although most famous for Mantegna’s frescos in the Camera degli Sposi (Wedding Room), they have many other very significant architectural and …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01