University of Notre Dame

Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Department or Unit: University of Notre Dame remove ×
Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    This is the only surviving part of the original Palace of Westminster, dating from 1097.

    On 16 October 1834, most of the Palace was destroyed by fire. Only Westminster Hall, the Jewel Tower, the crypt of St Stephen’s Chapel and the cloisters survived. A Royal Commission was appointed to study the rebuilding of the Palace and decided that it should be rebuilt on the same site, and that its style should be either Gothic or Elizabethan. A heated public debate over the proposed styles ensued…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    On 16 October 1834, most of the Palace was destroyed by fire. Only Westminster Hall, the Jewel Tower, the crypt of St Stephen’s Chapel and the cloisters survived. A Royal Commission was appointed to study the rebuilding of the Palace and decided that it should be rebuilt on the same site, and that its style should be either Gothic or Elizabethan. A heated public debate over the proposed styles ensued. It was decided that neo-Classical design, similar to that of the White House and Congres…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    This is the principal façade, the East Front; originally constructed by Edward Blore and completed in 1850, it was redesigned in 1913 by Sir Aston Webb. The sculpture and gates in the front have been changed from this view.

    Blore’s best-known but least characteristic work was the completion of Buckingham Palace in 1832-1850 following the dismissal of George IV’s architect, John Nash, for extravagance. Blore was given the Buckingham Palace commission by the Office of Works because of …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    image is flipped

    Lambeth Palace is the official London residence of the Archbishop of Canterbury. It is located in Lambeth, on the south bank of the River Thames a short distance upstream of the Palace of Westminster on the opposite shore. It was acquired by the archbishopric around 1200. The oldest remaining part of the palace is the Early English chapel. The so-called Lollard’s Tower dates from 1440. There is a fine Tudor brick gatehouse built by Cardinal John Morton in 1495. The Great…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Stands at the intersection of Lambeth Road and Lambeth Palace Road, just off Lambeth Bridge.

    Lambeth Palace is the official London residence of the Archbishop of Canterbury. It is located in Lambeth, on the south bank of the River Thames a short distance upstream of the Palace of Westminster on the opposite shore. It was acquired by the archbishopric around 1200. The oldest remaining part of the palace is the Early English chapel. The so-called Lollard’s Tower dates from 1440. There is a…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Built for Count Johan Hendrik van Wassenaar-Obdam. Later became a royal palace. Until his coronation in 1840, King Willem II resided here with his wife Anna Pavlovna (of the House of Romanov). Their grandson crown prince William used the palace from 1858 till his death in 1879. In the 1930s the place was occasionally used by Princess Juliana. It currently houses the Dutch Council of State. The design cuts across the corner, so as to accommodate in the middle an impressive entrance, surmounted…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Noordeinde Palace is one of the three official palaces of the Dutch royal family. Prince Frederik Hendrik substantially enlarged the manor house of 1533 (which had once been a medieval farmhouse), then known as the Oude Hof. In 1640 he commissioned Pieter Post to enlarge and embellish his mother’s 16th-century house on the Noordeinde (now the Paleis Noordeinde), after designs of 1639 by Jacob van Campen. The alterations included lengthening the main building and adding wings on either sid…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The main construction began in 1746 under the direction of the Infante Dom Pedro of Braganza (1717-1786), uncle and subsequently king-consort (as Peter III) to Mary I. It became the official royal residence from 10 November 1794 until 27 November 1807, when the Napoleonic invasion forced the royal family to depart for exile in Brazil. The new central east wing (1746-1758) and the chapel (1750-1752) were designed by Mateus Vicente de Oliveira. The main façade of this wing was turned inwards to…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The main construction began in 1746 under the direction of the Infante Dom Pedro of Braganza (1717-1786), uncle and subsequently king-consort (as Peter III) to Mary I. It became the official royal residence from 10 November 1794 until 27 November 1807, when the Napoleonic invasion forced the royal family to depart for exile in Brazil. The new central east wing (1746-1758) and the chapel (1750-1752) were designed by Mateus Vicente de Oliveira. The main façade of this wing was turned inwards to…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    About AD 611 Bishop Marius transferred his seat from Avenches to Lausanne, and a cathedral church was mentioned in 814. During the early Middle Ages, particularly in the 11th century, the bishop steadily increased his authority over the city. The medieval city was established from the early Middle Ages on the fortified hill of the Cité. The Cité was occupied by the Bishop’s Palace (from late 10th century; mostly destroyed), and the later episcopal Château-fort de St Maire (from 1397). Fro…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Lantern slide labeled Petrograd.

    The official seat of the government of Russia from 1712 to 1917, it is sited on the left bank of the River Neva, east of the Admiralty, and is now part of the Hermitage Museum. There have been four successive palaces on the site, the first two of wood and destroyed by fire. Bartolomeo Carlo Rastrelli and Bartolomeo Francesco Rastrelli built the new, stone, Third Winter Palace (1732-1736) for Empress Anne (reigned 1730-1740). Anne’s palace was demolished a…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Lantern slide labeled Petrograd.

    The official seat of the government of Russia from 1712 to 1917, it is sited on the left bank of the River Neva, east of the Admiralty, and is now part of the Hermitage Museum. There have been four successive palaces on the site, the first two of wood and destroyed by fire. Bartolomeo Carlo Rastrelli and Bartolomeo Francesco Rastrelli built the new, stone, Third Winter Palace (1732-1736) for Empress Anne (reigned 1730-1740). Anne’s palace was demolished a…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01