University of Notre Dame

Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Department or Unit: University of Notre Dame remove × Collection: Architectural Lantern Slides of Greece remove ×
Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The third great 5th-century BCE marble building on the Acropolis is known as the Erechtheion, though this name (Erechtheos was a mythical king of Athens) has been challenged. Since the Parthenon stands immediately to the south, the architect of the Erechtheion did not attempt to make the building compete directly with this outstanding example of the Doric order, and instead chose the more ornate and delicate Ionic order. The building has an unusually complex plan. Its steeply sloping site als…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    In the late 3rd century BCE the north-west corner of the stadium was linked with the sanctuary through a narrow roofed corridor.

    Towards the mid-5th century BCE the stadium was moved 82 m to the east and 7 m to the north (Stadium III). Excavations have shown that the embankment of the narrow western side was truncated after the mid-4th century BCE, when the Echo Stoa was built, which entirely separated the stadium from the sanctuary. The track of this new stadium was 215.54 m long and about …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    One monument at Delphi had a particular influence on the architecture of the 4th century BCE. This was the Doric Tholos (ca. 390 BCE), built at the Marmaria, of Pentelic marble, by Theodoros of Phokaia. This was the only peripteral tholos of its time and the most ornate sacred building since the Parthenon. It had 80 sculpted metopes (40 over the 20-column peristyle and 40 over the cella wall), acroteria on top of the marble roof and 9 chryselephantine statues between 10 internal Corinthian co…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    One monument at Delphi had a particular influence on the architecture of the 4th century BCE. This was the Doric Tholos (ca. 390 BCE), built at the Marmaria, of Pentelic marble, by Theodoros of Phokaia. This was the only peripteral tholos of its time and the most ornate sacred building since the Parthenon. It had 80 sculpted metopes (40 over the 20-column peristyle and 40 over the cella wall), acroteria on top of the marble roof and 9 chryselephantine statues between 10 internal Corinthian co…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Delian houses, some of which are famous for their mosaics and paintings (e.g. the House of Dionysos, House of the Trident, House of the Dolphins etc.), constitute the island’s most exceptional architectural remains. In their surviving state they represent the urban development of the 2nd and 1st centuries BC, stimulated by the influx of foreign merchants. They conform to a characteristic ancient Greek house plan with a central courtyard surrounded by various rooms. In the most opulent hou…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01