University of Notre Dame

Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Department or Unit: University of Notre Dame remove ×
Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    In 1855 Haussmann completed an enormous new boulevard, originally called boulevard de Sébastopol-rive-gauche, now called Boulevard Saint-Michel, which opened up the small place Pont-Saint-Michel into a much larger space. Davioud was charged with the new facades and fountain of the square. The prefect authorities asked to build a fountain to hide the end wall of the building at the corner of boulevard Saint-Michel and Saint-André des Arts. The iconography is the Archangel Michael wrestling the…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    In the distance the Fountain of the Rivers, to the north, can be seen in front of the facade of the Madeleine church, with the obelisk in center. South Maritime Fountain is closest.

    The Fontaines de la Concorde are two monumental fountains located in the Place de la Concorde in the center of Paris. They were designed by Jacques Ignace Hittorff, and completed in 1840 during the reign of King Louis-Philippe. The south fountain commemorates the maritime commerce and industry of France, and the …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Fountain of the Rivers, the north fountain, with the obelisk behind. The south Maritime Fountain is visible in the distance.

    The Fontaines de la Concorde are two monumental fountains located in the Place de la Concorde in the center of Paris. They were designed by Jacques Ignace Hittorff, and completed in 1840 during the reign of King Louis-Philippe. The south fountain commemorates the maritime commerce and industry of France, and the north fountain commemorates navigation and commerce o…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    In 1549 Goujon collaborated with Jean Cousin in organizing the ceremonial entry of Henry II into Paris, an event that allowed the new generation of classicizing artists to display their skills. Goujon’s most famous work, the Fountain of the Innocents, the architecture of which was probably by Lescot, was originally built as a monument for the occasion. It was, until 1787, a rectangular structure on a corner, presenting two arched bays to the Rue aux Fers and one to the Rue Saint-Denis. Th…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The square is a tiny park adjoining Notre Dame de Paris on the east side named after Pope John XXIII. The central sculpture within the neo-Gothic spire is the Virgin and Child, sculpted by Merlieux. The lower part of the fountain shows three archangels defeating the allegorical figure of heresy. The fountain is known as the Archbishop’s Fountain as the area, since the 17th century, had been the site of the Archbishop’s Palace and garden.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The square is a tiny park adjoining Notre Dame de Paris on the east side named after Pope John XXIII. The central sculpture within the neo-Gothic spire is the Virgin and Child, sculpted by Merlieux. The lower part of the fountain shows three archangels defeating the allegorical figure of heresy. The fountain is known as the Archbishop’s Fountain as the area, since the 17th century, had been the site of the Archbishop’s Palace and garden.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Built in 1748-1749 for Louis XV and under the direction of Ange-Jacques Gabriel, the staircase (known also formerly as Chambre d’ Alexandre and Anteroom of Madam de Maintenon) was cut out of the existing room, through some of the existing sculpture, scenes of the life of Alexander the Great by Abel de Pujol and Primaticcio.

    In April 1528 Francis I commissioned Gilles Le Breton for a programme of building (completed 1540) at Fontainebleau. The Cour de l'Ovale was to be rebuilt using t…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Built against the wall of presbytere of the Church of St. Paul, next to the Lycée Charlemagne.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Carré des Ambassadeurs- a Venus brushing her hair, surrounded by roses and flowing water. (sculptor: Francique-Joseph Duret.)

    Having finished the Fontaines de la Concorde, Hittorff built four additional fountains in the squares on the Champs-Élysées between the Place de la Concorde and the Arc de Triomphe, which had just been finished in 1836. The lower part of each fountain is the same; a circular basin, a pedestal with seashell ornamentation; a vasque supported by dolphins and ornamented w…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Betharram is a small village about nine miles (15 km) outside of Lourdes. It was on the pilgrim route to Santiago de Compostela. Hubert Charpentier (1565-1650), a priest architect had the idea to open a hospice for the pilgrims. An extant first chapel dedicated to the Virgin was enlarged in order to build the Sanctuary complex, extended by a monastery belonging to the chaplains of Betharram. Charpentier also had a monumental Way of the Cross (Via Crucis) set up above the Sanctuary on the side…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The collegiate church of St Urbain epitomizes the high degree of refinement and sophistication achieved by French Rayonnant architecture during the third quarter of the 13th century. St Urbain was founded by Pope Urban IV in May 1262 on the site of his birthplace. Although attempts have been made to attribute St Urbain to Jean Langlois, mentioned as ‘magister operis’ in a fabric account, it seems more likely that he was a financial official charged with disbursing papal funds. Thus th…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Betharram is a small village about nine miles (15 km) outside of Lourdes. It was on the pilgrim route to Santiago de Compostela. Hubert Charpentier (1565-1650), a priest architect had the idea to open a hospice for the pilgrims. An extant first chapel dedicated to the Virgin was enlarged in order to build the Sanctuary complex, extended by a monastery belonging to the chaplains of Betharram. Charpentier also had a monumental Way of the Cross (Via Crucis) set up above the Sanctuary on the side…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01