University of Notre Dame

Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Department or Unit: University of Notre Dame remove ×
Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Fontana del Nettuno (Fountain of Neptune) is a monumental fountain located in the Piazza del Popolo in Rome. It was constructed in 1822-1823 at the terminus of a newly-built aqueduct, the Acqua Vergine Nuovo. The fountain sculptures in the Piazza del Popolo were the work of Giovanni Ceccarini, with matching compositions of a central figure flanked by two attendant figures. These stand on each side of the Piazza to the east and west, flanked by neoclassical statues of The Seasons (1828). T…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Giovanni Fontana was primarily a hydraulic engineer and was a prominent member of the family workshop, directing its engineering works. One of his principal projects under Pope Sixtus V was the management of the Acqua Felice scheme (1587-1590) in Rome, involving the improvement of the aqueduct, which was still under construction, and the erection at the north-east corner of Piazza S Bernardo of a monumental fountain known as Mostra dell'Acqua Felice or Fontana del Mosè (in situ) that was …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    One of two colossal basins, completed 1725 by Agostino Cornacchini; this one is on the south side of the nave.

    Bramante was hired by Julius II to begin a radical reconstruction, to replace Old Saint Peter’s, and intensive planning by Bramante, Giuliano da Sangallo and Fra Giovanni Giocondo preceded the laying of the foundation stone on 18 April 1506. Since Bramante’s first designs of 1506, half a dozen architects had worked under five successive popes, all bringing their own revision…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Fontana della Dea Roma is a monumental fountain located in the Piazza del Popolo in Rome. It was constructed in 1822-1823 at the terminus of a newly-built aqueduct, the Acqua Vergine Nuovo. The fountain sculptures in the Piazza del Popolo were the work of Giovanni Ceccarini, with matching compositions of a central figure flanked by two attendant figures. These stand on each side of the Piazza to the east and west, flanked by neoclassical statues of The Seasons (1828). The Fontana di Nettu…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Scene 5, Enea Silvio Piccolomini, bishop of Siena, presents emperor Frederick III with his bride-to-be Eleanora of Portugal at the Porta Camollia in Siena; Scene 6, Enea Silvio Piccolomini receives the cardinal’s hat in 1456.

    Adjoining the cathedral is the Piccolomini library, housing precious illuminated choir books and frescoes painted by the Umbrian Bernardino di Betto, called Pinturicchio, probably based on designs (or influenced) by Raphael. The frescoes tell the story of the life o…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    This view dates after 1901 and before 1911 when a central group of figures was added to the fountain.

    The fountain in this square was originally the fountain of the Acqua Pia (connected to the Aqua Marcia aqueduct), commissioned on this site by Pope Pius IX in 1870. Completed in 1888, it originally showed four chalk lions designed by Alessandro Guerrieri. These were replaced in 1901 with sculptures of Naiads by Mario Rutelli from Palermo. The naiads represented are the Nymph of the Lakes (re…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    This group of monastic buildings dates chiefly from the Romanesque period, although the complex originated much earlier, and fragments of earlier buildings survive. The complex as a whole is documented from the 9th century with the title ‘Santo Stefano detto Gerusalemme’, or ‘Sancta Gerusalemme’. None of the surviving churches now bears the name of S Stefano. It is locally known as Sette Chiese (“Seven Churches”). According to tradition, it was built by Saint Petroni…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Roman bronze pinecone sculpture is visible in the center

    The main adjunct to the Vatican Palace designed by Bramante is the colossal extension known as the Cortile del Belvedere, on which work began in the spring of 1505. The design was modified by Pirro Ligorio before its completion (ca. 1565) and altered by Domenico Fontana (1587-1588). At the time of its construction, the Belvedere was the largest building built in Rome since the Ancient Romans. It now houses various Vatican museums. …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The architect of the loggia is Sano di Matteo, built between 1417 and 1428 under his direction, then from 1428 to 1444 by Pietro del Minella in a transitional style between Gothic and Renaissance. Federighi was commissioned to add three sculptures of saints in 1457 (three of the four ancient town’s patron saints, San Savino, Sant'Ansano and San Vittore). A marble bench (ca. 1459-1464; in situ) for the Loggia, ornamented with reliefs of ancient Roman heroes on the front and the nursing…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The 1st century Roman bronze Pigna (“pinecone”) in front of the exedra (“niccione”), gives the name Cortile della Pigna to the highest terrace; it was an ancient fountain moved to the site in the 15th century.

    The main adjunct to the Vatican Palace designed by Bramante is the colossal extension known as the Cortile del Belvedere, on which work began in the spring of 1505. The design was modified by Pirro Ligorio before its completion (ca. 1565) and altered by Domenico Fon…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Commissioned in 1497 by the French Cardinal Jean Villiers de La Grolais (ca. 1430-1499) for his own tomb, it was begun the following year and was finished by 1500. It signals the beginning of Michelangelo’s maturity as a sculptor.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The cupola was probably not included on Michelangelo’s 1547 model, and it was not until 1558 that the carpenters began work on the larger-scale model (1:5; Rome, Vatican, Mus. Stor. A. Tesoro S Pietro) for the drum and dome, which Michelangelo justifiably felt to be the last task of his life (he was then 83). Whereas Bramante and Antonio da Sangallo (ii) had favoured an all'antica single-shell dome, Michelangelo’s was to be composed of two hemispherical shells. His starting-point …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01