University of Notre Dame

Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Department or Unit: University of Notre Dame remove ×
Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The architecture is French-inspired Renaissance, but the decoration is German in inspiration,and sources for the statues have been found in the work of the German engraver Hans Burgkmair, carried out by Scottish masons.

    Castle in Central region, Scotland. It was built overlooking the River Forth at a strategically important junction of routes by both land and water, where there was the additional advantage of a high volcanic outcrop as a natural setting for the royal castle required to defen…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    [This image is flopped. Mansion House should be on the left of the sculpture seen from the back.] The equestrian statue of the Duke of Wellington stands in front of the Exchange. Cast from the metal of guns taken from the French by Francis Chantry, 1844.

    Mansion House is a rare surviving Georgian town palace in London. It is the official residence of the Lord Mayor of London. Dance’s designs of 1735 show the influence of Colen Campbell’s Wanstead House, Essex, particularly in the gre…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The equestrian statue of the Duke of Wellington stands in front of the Exchange. Cast from the metal of guns taken from the French by Francis Chantry, 1844.

    The Royal Exchange in the City of London was founded in 1565 by Sir Thomas Gresham to act as a centre of commerce for the city. The site was provided by the City of London Corporation and the Worshipful Company of Mercers, and is trapezoidal, flanked by the converging streets of Cornhill and Threadneedle Street. The previous buildings on…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Trafalgar Square is a square in central London. In the 1820s the Prince Regent engaged the landscape architect John Nash to redevelop the area. Nash cleared the square as part of his Charing Cross Improvement Scheme. The present architecture of the square is due to Sir Charles Barry and was completed in 1845. At its centre is Nelson’s Column (1840-1843), which is guarded by four lion statues at its base. Statues and sculptures are on display in the square, including a fourth plinth now di…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    In 1251 fire destroyed part of the 11th-century cathedral. Rebuilding started after 1288, but a plan had already been made in 1254. The choir is heavily influenced by French Rayonnant churches. About 1315 the transepts were reached, but not built. Between 1321 and 1381 a single tower 112 m high was erected to the west of the old Romanesque nave. The Gothic transepts and the nave were built during the 15th century and early 16th, but the nave collapsed during the storm of 1674 and was never re…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Noordeinde Palace is one of the three official palaces of the Dutch royal family. Prince Frederik Hendrik substantially enlarged the manor house of 1533 (which had once been a medieval farmhouse), then known as the Oude Hof. In 1640 he commissioned Pieter Post to enlarge and embellish his mother’s 16th-century house on the Noordeinde (now the Paleis Noordeinde), after designs of 1639 by Jacob van Campen. The alterations included lengthening the main building and adding wings on either sid…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Work on the vast square cloister (55 x 55 m) of the monastery was begun by Boitac. João de Castilho completed the cloister, crowning it with an upper storey.

    Established near Toledo in 1374, the Hieronymite Order soon became popular in Spain and Portugal, and in 1415 it numbered 25 houses. Prince Henry the Navigator (1394-1460) founded S Maria de Belém, a chapel of the Order of Christ, for mariners. Soon after his accession Manuel I (reigned 1495-1521) decided to build a grand monastery for …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    According to tradition, the parish church of Sant Miquel occupies the site of a mosque where the first Mass was celebrated following the reconquest of 1229. That building was consecrated as a church until it made way for a Gothic church built in the late fourteenth century. The new construction followed the type of the time with with a single-cell nave and chapels between the buttresses. Only the facade and square bell tower topped by a pyramidal top remain unaltered. The facade has sculpture…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Only a limited number of works by Oms y Canet have survived, but they include the monument to Queen Isabella the Catholic (1883; Madrid, La Castellana Avenue). As a result of the intervention of José Maria Casado del Alisal, a former director of the Academia Española de Bellas Artes in Rome, and Francisco Pradilla, this work, which was designed during Oms y Canet’s period in Rome, was cast in bronze and exhibited publicly. The Queen, carrying a cross, appears on horseback; at her side are…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Next to the Basilica of Saint John of God is the Hospital which has been caring for the sick since 1552. In the 18th century the Hospital was extended, creating the second cloister, and covering some rooms and the main staircase that links the two cloisters with decorative diversity: tiled borders, wall paintings, polychrome marble and the Mudejar style truss of its roof. Juan Ciudad Duarte, later canonized as San Juan de Dios, came to Granada as an itinerant bookseller in 1536 after spending…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    An inscription on the façade records that the present church, which was built from west to east, was begun in 1329. It has been called “perhaps the most logically and most scientifically planned of the great Catalan buildings, a simplification of, yet an advance upon, the plan of the cathedral” (Bevan). Situated in the maritime quarter of the city, it was put up quite quickly with the support of noble families, merchants, guilds and confraternities. S Maria del Mar has an aisled nav…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    José Grases Riera (1850-1919) was a Catalan architect, who designed the base of the 1901 monument to Antonio Cánovas del Castillo in the Plaza de la Marina Española, with sculptor Joaquín Bilbao [Martinez]. Antonio Cánovas del Castillo (February 8, 1828-August 8, 1897) was a Spanish politician and historian known principally for his role in supporting the restoration of the Bourbon monarchy to the Spanish throne and for his death at the hands of an anarchist assassin, Michele Angiolillo.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01