University of Notre Dame

Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Department or Unit: University of Notre Dame remove × Collection: Architectural Lantern Slides of Greece remove ×
Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The third great 5th-century BCE marble building on the Acropolis is known as the Erechtheion, though this name (Erechtheos was a mythical king of Athens) has been challenged. Since the Parthenon stands immediately to the south, the architect of the Erechtheion did not attempt to make the building compete directly with this outstanding example of the Doric order, and instead chose the more ornate and delicate Ionic order. The building has an unusually complex plan. Its steeply sloping site als…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Comment says this slide is flopped

    During the second half of the 5th century BC the Acropolis became the focal point of the great building programme initiated by Pericles and was adorned with a group of magnificent marble buildings in honour of Athena. This temple dedicated to Athena Parthenos (‘maiden’) was the first and by far most impressive of the new structures. Inscriptions recording its building accounts show that it was started in 447 BC and that construction was sufficiently…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Some of the metopes are visible.

    During the second half of the 5th century BC the Acropolis became the focal point of the great building programme initiated by Pericles and was adorned with a group of magnificent marble buildings in honour of Athena. This temple dedicated to Athena Parthenos (‘maiden’) was the first and by far most impressive of the new structures. Inscriptions recording its building accounts show that it was started in 447 BC and that construction was sufficiently a…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    During the second half of the 5th century BC the Acropolis became the focal point of the great building programme initiated by Pericles and was adorned with a group of magnificent marble buildings in honour of Athena. This temple dedicated to Athena Parthenos (‘maiden’) was the first and by far most impressive of the new structures. Inscriptions recording its building accounts show that it was started in 447 BC and that construction was sufficiently advanced by 438 BC for the cult sta…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    West end of the Acropolis. Historic view of site, early 20th century. Excavation railway visible and excavation dumps.

    This was the second building on the Acropolis constructed as part of the Periclean programme. According to building accounts and Plutarch’s Pericles (XIII.7), the Propylaia or great gateway (propylon) was begun in 437 BC, and work apparently stopped in 432 BC. The architect was Mnesikles. As constructed, the building consists of a large central hall flanked by wings to t…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Porch of the caryatids on the left (west end of the south side)

    The third great 5th-century BCE marble building on the Acropolis is known as the Erechtheion, though this name (Erechtheos was a mythical king of Athens) has been challenged. Since the Parthenon stands immediately to the south, the architect of the Erechtheion did not attempt to make the building compete directly with this outstanding example of the Doric order, and instead chose the more ornate and delicate Ionic order. The bui…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The central hall had Doric hexastyle façades facing east and west.

    This was the second building on the Acropolis constructed as part of the Periclean programme. According to building accounts and Plutarch’s Pericles (XIII.7), the Propylaia or great gateway (propylon) was begun in 437 BC, and work apparently stopped in 432 BC. The architect was Mnesikles. As constructed, the building consists of a large central hall flanked by wings to the south-west and north-west. Even as built, the Pro…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Some of the metopes are visible and a fragment of sculpture on the pediment

    During the second half of the 5th century BC the Acropolis became the focal point of the great building programme initiated by Pericles and was adorned with a group of magnificent marble buildings in honour of Athena. This temple dedicated to Athena Parthenos (‘maiden’) was the first and by far most impressive of the new structures. Inscriptions recording its building accounts show that it was started in 447 …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    West wall of the Propylaia is visible to the right

    The final temple to be built on the Acropolis was a marble structure dedicated to Athena Nike. The bastion immediately south-west of the gateway to the Acropolis had accommodated the cult of Athena Nike since the first half of the 6th century BC. At some time, perhaps as late as the mid-5th century BC, a small naiskos (shrine) of poros limestone had been built to enclose an early base, and a new monolithic limestone altar with mouldings had …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The final temple to be built on the Acropolis was a marble structure dedicated to Athena Nike. The bastion immediately south-west of the gateway to the Acropolis had accommodated the cult of Athena Nike since the first half of the 6th century BC. At some time, perhaps as late as the mid-5th century BC, a small naiskos (shrine) of poros limestone had been built to enclose an early base, and a new monolithic limestone altar with mouldings had been erected to its east, replacing an earlier altar…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    A few of the Doric columns have now been reconstructed.

    The first monumental structure was the Temple of Hera (Heraion), built at the foot of Mt Kronos. This was once considered to have been an enlargement ca. 600 BCE of an earlier small Doric building: research has shown, however, that the whole temple was completed at one time around 600 BCE. The Heraion, a narrow building with heavy proportions (18.76 x 10.00 m; 6 x 16 columns), is one of the oldest monumental temples in Greece. The lower…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Lykabettos Hill in background.

    The Hephaisteion, popularly though incorrectly known as the ‘Theseion’, remains the best preserved of all Doric temples. All the columns and the full entablature of its canonical peristyle (6 x 13 columns) survive, as do the walls of the cella up to ceiling level, though the present roof is of later date. The temple is largely of Pentelic marble and dates from the mid-5th century BC, though it may have taken a generation or more to complete. It carries …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01