University of Notre Dame

Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Department or Unit: University of Notre Dame remove × Collection: Architectural Lantern Slides of Algeria remove ×
Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The library probably dates from the 4th century CE.

    Founded by Trajan in AD 100 as a colony for army veterans, the Colonia Marciana Traiana Thamugadi, and built by soldiers stationed at Lambaesis. Although its plan is overwhelmingly military, there is little doubt that Thamugadi was intended to be a town, not a military base. Its square shape comprises a grid of 111 blocks, each 20 sq. m; most were subdivided into properties for the individual settlers, while a good number were given over to…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Founded by Trajan in AD 100 as a colony for army veterans, the Colonia Marciana Traiana Thamugadi, and built by soldiers stationed at Lambaesis. Although its plan is overwhelmingly military, there is little doubt that Thamugadi was intended to be a town, not a military base. Its square shape comprises a grid of 111 blocks, each 20 sq. m; most were subdivided into properties for the individual settlers, while a good number were given over to public buildings. Following a Byzantine period, it w…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The colonnade of the cardo is visible beyond the arch.

    At the west end of the decumanus (east-west main road) rises a 12 m high triumphal arch, called (incorrectly) Trajan’s Arch, which was partially restored in 1900. The arch is principally of sandstone, and is of Corinthian order with three arches, the central one being 11 feet wide. The arch is also known as the Timgad Arch. It was built ca. 200 CE under the reign of Severus.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    There were two large Christian complexes in the town, both of which contained a baptistery, one associated with the Donatist sect, and the other which may have belonged to the Catholic church. The Donatist cathedral baptistery (4th century CE) has a hexagonal, 3-step immersion baptismal font richly decorated with mosaics.

    Founded by Trajan in AD 100 as a colony for army veterans, the Colonia Marciana Traiana Thamugadi, and built by soldiers stationed at Lambaesis. Although its plan is overwh…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Founded by Trajan in AD 100 as a colony for army veterans, the Colonia Marciana Traiana Thamugadi, and built by soldiers stationed at Lambaesis. Although its plan is overwhelmingly military, there is little doubt that Thamugadi was intended to be a town, not a military base. Its square shape comprises a grid of 111 blocks, each 20 sq. m; most were subdivided into properties for the individual settlers, while a good number were given over to public buildings. Following a Byzantine period, it w…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The minaret is also a clock tower.

    The New Mosque (Jamaa-el-Jedid), dating from the 17th century, is in the form of a Greek cross, surmounted by a large white dome, with four small cupolas at the corners. The minaret is 90 feet (27 m) high and is also a clock tower. The interior resembles that of the Grand Mosque. The French called it Mosquée de la Pêcherie, Mosque of the Fishers, because of its location near the sea. It was built under Ottoman rule.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Mosque of Suk-er-Rezel, built ca. 1690, now transformed into a cathedral, and called Notre-Dame des Sept Douleurs, the seat of the bishop in Constantine. (entry from the 1911 Edition of the Encyclopaedia Britannica).

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Beyond the Timgad arch, to the right, lay the temple of the genius of the colony. “Genio Coloniae Thamug,” found on an inscription on an altar. It had an irregularly shaped court with a colonnade containing statues of a number of gods. In ancient Roman religion, the genius was the individual instance of a general divine nature that is present in every individual person, place or thing (Genius loci applied to places).

    Founded by Trajan in AD 100 as a colony for army veterans, th…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The palace (Dar) of Dey Mustapha Pacha was built in 1797. The building became the first national library in Algeria and served as that until 1948.

    The palace (Dar) of Dey Mustapha Pacha was built in 1797. The building became the first national library in Algeria and served as that until 1948. The exterior is typical of Kasbah architecture with a whitewashed exterior punctuated with many small windows and wooden beams and with a patio and balustrades on the interior.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The ancient site of Tipasa (Tipaza) is adjacent to the modern village (founded 1857). The ruins have been designated a World Heritage Site by UNESCO. It became a Roman municipality under Claudius in 46 CE, built on three small hills, and flourished until the Vandal invasion of 430. Christianity was early introduced, and in the third century Tipaza was a bishop’s see. Tipasa was revived under the Byzantines. The nine-aisled basilica of Bishop Alexander on the western hill had a second apse…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The palace (Dar) of Dey Mustapha Pacha was built in 1797. The building became the first national library in Algeria and served as that until 1948.

    The palace (Dar) of Dey Mustapha Pacha was built in 1797. The building became the first national library in Algeria and served as that until 1948. The exterior is typical of Kasbah architecture with a whitewashed exterior punctuated with many small windows and wooden beams and with a patio and balustrades on the interior.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The ancient site of Tipasa (Tipaza) is adjacent to the modern village (founded 1857). The ruins have been designated a World Heritage Site by UNESCO. It became a Roman municipality under Claudius in 46 CE, built on three small hills, and flourished until the Vandal invasion of 430. Christianity was early introduced, and in the third century Tipaza was a bishop’s see. Tipasa was revived under the Byzantines. The three basilicas (churches) are surrounded by cemeteries, which are full of cof…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01