University of Notre Dame

Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Department or Unit: University of Notre Dame remove × Collection: Architectural Lantern Slides of Belgium remove ×
Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Most of the sculpture comes from a loft in Renaissance style built between 1545 and 1549, and erected at the entrance to the choir. The structure of the rood screen was black marble and was decorated with bas-reliefs and statues in the round carved in alabaster by Du Broeucq. After the destruction of the rood screen in 1797 in the French Revolution, the vast majority of works of Du Broeucq were recovered and placed at different locations in the Collegiate Church.

    Work stopped in 1621, withou…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Golden Coach is a horse-drawn processional coach of carved wood, painted and gilded. Built between 1779 and 1782 in Louis XVI style , it is the only processional coach of that time still in use. It is stored in the north transept and used in an annual procession of the reliquary of St. Waudru.

    Work stopped in 1621, without the church ever being completed. At the keystone, it reaches 24.5 meters in height. The choir is surrounded by an ambulatory and 15 chapels. The construction of a towe…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The building has 8 courtyards with a surface of 6000 m², 27 large court rooms and 245 smaller court rooms and other rooms.

    The total cost of the construction, land and furnishings was somewhere in the region of 45-50 million Belgian francs. It is the biggest building constructed in the 19th century, and is larger than St. Peter’s Basilica in Rome. It has a total built ground surface of 26,000 m². Situated on a hill, there is a level difference of 20 meters between the upper and lower squ…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Brussels Stock Exchange (BSE) was founded in Brussels, Belgium by Napoleonic decree in 1801. The building that houses the Brussels Stock Exchange does not have a distinct name, though it is usually called simply the Bourse. It is located on Boulevard Anspach, and is the namesake of the Beursplein/Place de la Bourse, which is, after the Grand Place, the second most important square in Brussels. It mixes elements of the Neo-Renaissance and Second Empire architectural styles. It has an abund…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The 104 meter high dome weighs 24,000 tons.

    The total cost of the construction, land and furnishings was somewhere in the region of 45-50 million Belgian francs. It is the biggest building constructed in the 19th century, and is larger than St. Peter’s Basilica in Rome. It has a total built ground surface of 26,000 m². Situated on a hill, there is a level difference of 20 meters between the upper and lower square, which results in multiple entrances to the building at different levels. S…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The total cost of the construction, land and furnishings was somewhere in the region of 45-50 million Belgian francs. It is the biggest building constructed in the 19th century, and is larger than St. Peter’s Basilica in Rome. It has a total built ground surface of 26,000 m². Situated on a hill, there is a level difference of 20 meters between the upper and lower square, which results in multiple entrances to the building at different levels. Sometimes categorized as Baroque Revival, the …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Work stopped in 1621, without the church ever being completed. At the keystone, it reaches 24.5 meters in height. The choir is surrounded by an ambulatory and 15 chapels. The construction of a tower 190 meters high was originally intended; it was begun in 1548, but the work ceased in 1691 at roof height. The church is known for is 16th century stained glass and interior sculpture by Jacques Du Broeucq. It also houses a Gothic Revival (1887) reliquary of St. Waudru, and a Louis XVI style proce…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The oldest parish church in Geel, it is an example of Brabantine Gothic, with a Baroque interior. It was rebuilt in brick from an earlier white sandstone church after a fire; parts of the older stone facade remain. The paneling of the side aisles and the confessionals were carved by Pieter Valckx. The choir stalls date from the late 17th century. There is a pulpit from about 1715 by Willem Kerrickx , and the high altar of 1748 by the Mechlin artist Theodore Verhaegen. The marble choir of 1693…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    In the 19th century, responding to the Age of Enlightenment, Great Synagogues were built in many capitals of Europe to show that Jews were full and free citizens. The synagogue survived the Holocaust in which 25,000 Belgian Jews died. Renamed as the Great Synagogue of Europe in 2008, dedicated as a focal point for European Jews.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The architect of the City Hall of Leuven, Matheus de Layens, was called to draw up plans but it is unclear if they were followed. The Renaissance cupola was added in the eighteenth century. It contains a bell dating from 1390, the Bancloque, as well as a clock.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The building lost somewhat of its typical neoclassical temple-like appearance by the addition in the 19th-century of a bell tower (after the design of Tilman-François Suys) and a colored fresco by Jean Portaels on the pediment.

    The building was designed and built to be included in the neoclassical style of the Place Royale. Construction of the facade was started by architect Gilles-Barnabé Guimard after the designs of Jean-Benoît-Vincent Barré (1775). The nave, transept, choir and and sacris…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Designed by Jacob (Jean-Jacques) Winders and Frans Van Dijk, built beginning in 1884, opened in 1890, and completed in 1894. Sculpture on the building includes two bronze figures of Fame with horse-drawn chariots by sculptor Thomas Vincotte, and seven rondel medallions of artists that include Boetius à Bolswert, Frans Floris, Jan Van Eyck, Peter Paul Rubens, Quentin Matsys, Erasmus Quellinus II, and Appelmans, separated by four monumental sculptures representing Architecture, Painting, Sculpt…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01