University of Notre Dame

Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Department or Unit: University of Notre Dame remove × Collection: Architectural Lantern Slides of Bohemia and Moravia (present-day Czechia) remove ×
Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    View is from the side of the high altar, looking back towards the nave. Of marble, the royal mausoleum (1589) consists of the tombstones of Ferdinand I of Austria, his wife Anna of Bohemia and Hungary and the Holy Roman Emperor Maximilian II.

    Located within Prague Castle and built incorporating parts of older buildings on site dating as early as 929. Mathias of Arras, who had been summoned from Avignon by the future Emperor Charles IV, started at the east end of the building ca. 1342 , sitin…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Old Town bridge tower is often considered to be one of the most astonishing civil gothic-style buildings in the world. The bridge is also decorated by an alley of 30 statues, most of them baroque style, originally erected around 1700 but now all replaced by replicas.

    The Charles Bridge is a famous historic bridge that crosses the Vltava (Moldau) river in Prague, Czech Republic. Its construction started in 1357 under the auspices of King Charles IV, and finished in the beginning of the 15…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The actual calendar dial (the decoration) below the clock was added in 1870. Restored after World War II. The Late Gothic door to the left is the main entrance to the Old Town Hall.

    A medieval astronomical clock mounted on the southern wall of Old Town City Hall in the Old Town Square. The Orloj is composed of three main components: the astronomical dial, representing the position of the Sun and Moon in the sky and displaying various astronomical details; “The Walk of the Apostles”…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    This part of the cathedral is neo-Gothic, (copying a Late Gothic style) and 19th century (1873-1929). The rose window is by Frantisek Kysela.

    Located within Prague Castle and built incorporating parts of older buildings on site dating as early as 929. Mathias of Arras, who had been summoned from Avignon by the future Emperor Charles IV, started at the east end of the building ca. 1342 , siting the choir outside the existing basilica and cloister. The Gothic choir has a chevet with an ambulat…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    A large Gothic castle on a cliff above the River Berounka, founded 1348 by Charles IV, Holy Roman Emperor-elect and King of Bohemia. The castle served as a place for safekeeping the Imperial Regalia as well as the Bohemian/Czech coronation jewels, holy relics and other royal treasures. Its unique design was greatly influenced by the presence of the holy relics. It retains much of its important programme of painted decoration. The buildings of the inner castle (the palace, Church Tower and Gre…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    This was identified as “Pertstyn, Belgium” but I believe it is Pernstejn (which might have been considered Bohemia at the time).

    A castle located on a rock above the village of Nedvědice and the rivers Svratka and Nedvědička, in the South Moravian Region, Czech Republic. Pernštejn came to be known as the marble castle because of the marble-like stone used to frame the doors and windows. It was founded by the Lords of Medlov probably between 1270-1285. Its history is closely connect…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    On the east side of the Old Town square the Týn (‘enclosed area’) developed (11th century), with a hostel and warehouse for foreign merchants that later became a customshouse, and with the church of St Mary (1256), fronted by the parish school. St Mary of Týn was rebuilt from 1339 to ca. 1410. Under the Hussite king George of Poděbrady, St Mary of Týn became the symbol of the Utraquists (who demanded communion in both kinds), and he began the twin western towers (completed under Vladi…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    In the 16th century the town halls of both the Old and New Towns were renovated. There was a gradual change of style towards high, arcaded gables (e.g. the Týn School) and added Renaissance porches. The first houses with arcaded ground storeys appeared, some with figured grisaille painting, such as the House ‘at the Minute’ (Dům U Minuty, now part of the town hall of the Old Town).

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01