University of Notre Dame

Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Department or Unit: University of Notre Dame remove × Collection: Architectural Lantern Slides of Croatia remove ×
Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Image is in Flickr set, but not in thumbs or records (created a record). Invented probable filename.

    Built in 1438 by Onofrio di Giordano della Cava (from Naples), the fountains are part of an elaborate water supply system. The 16-sided domed reservoir (the large or great fountain) was built in honor of the new water works, a 12 km (7 mile) aqueduct system from the Dubrovnik River to the city fountains. It stands inside the Pile gate next to St. Savior’s church. The small fountain (which…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Twin Gates (Porta Gemina) is one of the few remaining gates after the city walls were pulled down at the beginning of the 19th century. It dates from the mid-2nd century CE, replacing an earlier gate. Close by are a few remains of the old city wall. It has two arched entrances flanked by engaged columns on the outer façade, a plain architrave and an ornate frieze.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    From 998 Hungary, Croatia and Venice competed for possession of Split, which in 1420 placed itself under Venetian protection. In 1797 it passed with the rest of Dalmatia to Austria, who held it until the end of World War I. The building dates from the Venetian period and served as the town hall in the 19th century. The upper floors were redone in a Neo-Gothic style in 1890.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The site with its sheltered harbor was first settled by Illyrian tribes in the Bronze and Iron Ages. Conquered by the Romans in 178 BCE, it was elevated to colonial rank, Colonia Julia Pola Pollentia Herculanea, between 42 and 31 BCE. The amphitheatre is the sixth largest surviving Roman arena. It was built near the sea to the northeast of the city. Seating approximately 23,000 spectators, it is enclosed by a wall (h. 32.5 m) with three storeys on the seaward side and two on the inland side, …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    A monumental court, called the Peristyle, formed the northern access to the imperial apartments. It also gave access to Diocletian’s mausoleum on the east (now Cathedral of St. Domnius).

    Split is best known for the ruins of the Palace of Diocletian (295-305 CE); collectively with the historic royal residences, fortifications, and churches in the city, the palace was designated a UNESCO World Heritage site in 1979. Diocletian built the massive palace in preparation for his retirement on 1…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    A monumental court, called the Peristyle, formed the northern access to the imperial apartments. It also gave access to Diocletian’s mausoleum on the east (now Cathedral of St. Domnius).

    Split is best known for the ruins of the Palace of Diocletian (295-305 CE); collectively with the historic royal residences, fortifications, and churches in the city, the palace was designated a UNESCO World Heritage site in 1979. Diocletian built the massive palace in preparation for his retirement on 1…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The structure in front is the larger fountain built by Onofrio di Giordano della Cava (fl. 1438-1455). Built in 1438, the fountain is part of an elaborate water supply system. The 16-sided domed reservoir was built in honor of the new water works, a 7-mile aqueduct system from mountain streams to the city fountains.

    The small votive church of St Saviour (1520; damaged 1991-) was built by Petar Andrijić (fl 1492-1553) [Petar Andrijich of Korchula] in a mixture of Gothic and Renaissance elemen…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Following an earthquake in 1667, a new Baroque flight of stairs was built in the atrium of the palace.

    The Rector’s Palace (Knežev Dvor; after 1435) was built by Onofrio di Giordano della Cava (fl 1438-1455) in a Neapolitan Gothic style. After a gunpowder explosion in 1463, Michelozzo’s new design for the first floor remained unexecuted, but the portico was rebuilt (1468) in the Renaissance style by the Florentine architect Salvi di Michiele and local masters. The combination of Rena…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Rector’s Palace (Knežev Dvor; after 1435) was built by Onofrio di Giordano della Cava (fl 1438-1455) in a Neapolitan Gothic style. After a gunpowder explosion in 1463, Michelozzo’s new design for the first floor remained unexecuted, but the portico was rebuilt (1468) in the Renaissance style by the Florentine architect Salvi di Michiele and local masters. The combination of Renaissance arcades and Gothic windows in the piano nobile became so fashionable that it was adopted for oth…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The city bell-tower (h. 31 m; 1444) built by P. Radončić, R. Grubačević and D. Utišenović. The Column of Roland (Orlando) (1417) by Antun Dubrovčanin ( fl 1417-1424) was modelled on those erected in the other merchant republics of the Mediterranean.

    The combination of Renaissance arcades and Gothic windows in the piano nobile used in the Rector’s Palace became so fashionable that it was adopted for other residences, including the Sponza Palace, which has arcades (1519) by Nikola Andrijić…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Cathedral of the Assumption is at a right angle at the end of the street.

    The Rector’s Palace (Knežev Dvor; after 1435) was built by Onofrio di Giordano della Cava (fl 1438-1455) in a Neapolitan Gothic style. After a gunpowder explosion in 1463, Michelozzo’s new design for the first floor remained unexecuted, but the portico was rebuilt (1468) in the Renaissance style by the Florentine architect Salvi di Michiele and local masters. The combination of Renaissance arcades and Gothi…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Cloister dates from 1317-1348 by Miho Brajkov of Bar.

    Construction began in 1317 and was completed in the 1400s. It was badly damaged in the 1667 earthquake and almost entirely rebuilt, but the cloister and other elements still survive from the original building. The Franciscan friary is accessed via a narrow passage from St. Savior’s Church. The friary also includes the single-nave St. Francis Church, a 15th-century marble pulpit, and a bell tower. The fine cloister (1317-1348) entirely…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01