University of Notre Dame

Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Department or Unit: University of Notre Dame remove × Collection: Architectural Lantern Slides of France remove ×
Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Louis XVI made considerable alterations to Fontainebleau (1785), including the addition of his own Petits Appartements and the redecoration of two of the rooms of his queen-consort, Marie-Antoinette. He ordered the sumptuous meuble d'été, which is today in her bedchamber. The Salon de Jeu, designed by Richard Mique, was in the fashionable Pompeian style.

    In April 1528 Francis I commissioned Gilles Le Breton for a programme of building (completed 1540) at Fontainebleau. The Cour de l’…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The free-standing chapel of Anet, built to the left of the cour d'honneur in 1549-1552, is designed on a centralized Greek cross floor plan under a diagonally-coffered dome. Its facade has a porch of widely-spaced paired Ionic columns between towers crowned by pyramidal spires.

    French 16th-century château approximately 75 km west of Paris, in the département of Eure-et-Loire. In 1546 Diane de Poitiers began to build a modest house in the village of Anet; it underwent considerable and mag…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Order took its name from that of the mountainous site of the mother house at La Grande Chartreuse in the diocese of Grenoble (Isère). The Order has never been reformed; such continuity over more than 900 years is unique. The way of life of the first Carthusians, characterized by total dedication to contemplation through silence, assiduous prayer, poverty, penance and almost continuous occupancy of a solitary cell, impressed contemporaries with its novelty. The Carthusian vision could not …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The remains of a castle in the commune of Beaucaire. The existing structures date primarily from the 12th and 16th centuries. First built in the 11th century; it was a possession of the Counts of Toulouse from 1125. It was torn down in 1632 on Cardinal Richelieu’s orders. It used to be protected by a wall, the trace of which can still be followed. It includes a strange polygonal tower perched on a rocky spur, the façades dominating the sheer drop, and a fine round corner tower. Once insid…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Maison du Seigneur connected to the Maison de la Reine by a wooden gallery, visible on the left.

    Mique was a landscape designer of some note, and from 1783 to 1785, with technical advice from Hubert Robert, he worked on the Hameau at the Trianon, a group of cottages by an artificial lake where Marie-Antoinette and her ladies played at being villagers. He built another hamlet for the Mesdames de France at Bellevue (destroyed). The group of 12 peasant houses were made of cob and roofed wit…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Until the 15th-century Valois rulers reconsolidated the power of the central monarchy, and the relaxation of the defensive character of the French fort proceeded at an irregular pace to the Flamboyant-style château, with its large windows, elegant tracery, open and elaborate staircases, high and diversified roof line and varied masses of corps de logis and pavilions reflecting the old enceinte of walls punctuated with bastions. Château d'Ussé is an outstanding example. In the seventeenth …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    St-Pierre was built on the south side of Caen Chateau in the 13th and 14th centuries, and an ornate Renaissance east end was added in the early 16th century. It is a fine example of the transition between Gothic and Renaissance forms. The church is best known for its 75m (245 ft) tower of 1308, whose soaring spire was destroyed in 1944 and subsequently restored. The interior features an elegant Gothic nave and an elaborate Renaissance apse, with rich decoration and unusual vaulting.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    In 1855 Haussmann completed an enormous new boulevard, originally called boulevard de Sébastopol-rive-gauche, now called Boulevard Saint-Michel, which opened up the small place Pont-Saint-Michel into a much larger space. Davioud was charged with the new facades and fountain of the square. The prefect authorities asked to build a fountain to hide the end wall of the building at the corner of boulevard Saint-Michel and Saint-André des Arts. The iconography is the Archangel Michael wrestling the…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    French 16th-century château approximately 75 km west of Paris, in the département of Eure-et-Loire. In 1546 Diane de Poitiers began to build a modest house in the village of Anet; it underwent considerable and magnificent enlargement (after 1547, until 1553) when her lover Henry II became King of France and placed Philibert de L'Orme and virtually unlimited resources at her disposal. The château is built on a moated site around three courtyards with gardens to the north. Largely demolishe…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The eight huge stained-glass windows (15 m height) of the choir were made by different workshops, roughly between 1423 and 1430.

    Pilgrimage and parish church in Alsace. It contains an important assemblage of late medieval art. It is one of the most ornate Gothic churches in the whole Upper Rhenish region (Alsace, Baden, North-Western Switzerland, Palatinate). With the encouragement of the Habsburgs and a rise in pilgrimage in the 14th and 15th centuries, a large church was begun ca. 1330, be…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    In the distance the Fountain of the Rivers, to the north, can be seen in front of the facade of the Madeleine church, with the obelisk in center. South Maritime Fountain is closest.

    The Fontaines de la Concorde are two monumental fountains located in the Place de la Concorde in the center of Paris. They were designed by Jacques Ignace Hittorff, and completed in 1840 during the reign of King Louis-Philippe. The south fountain commemorates the maritime commerce and industry of France, and the …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    St-Pierre was built on the south side of Caen Chateau in the 13th and 14th centuries, and an ornate Renaissance east end was added in the early 16th century. It is a fine example of the transition between Gothic and Renaissance forms. The church is best known for its 75m (245 ft) tower of 1308, whose soaring spire was destroyed in 1944 and subsequently restored. The interior features an elegant Gothic nave and an elaborate Renaissance apse, with rich decoration and unusual vaulting.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01