University of Notre Dame

Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Department or Unit: University of Notre Dame remove × Collection: Architectural Lantern Slides of Germany remove ×
Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Views of Frankfurt am Main distributed by the French company G. Massiot & Cie (actual photographer unknown). Distributed before 1912. Large sections of the Altstadt were rebuilt after World War II bombing and so only a few old buildings are actually preserved today. The surrounding buildings (houses and shops) of the Römerberg (square around the city hall) are largely reconstructions today. These views show the area before WWII.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Part of reconstruction (1981-1984) of six houses at the east side of the Römerberg which were destroyed in World War II.

    Views of Frankfurt am Main distributed by the French company G. Massiot & Cie (actual photographer unknown). Distributed before 1912. Large sections of the Altstadt were rebuilt after World War II bombing and so only a few old buildings are actually preserved today. The surrounding buildings (houses and shops) of the Römerberg (square around the city hall) are largely …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Views of Frankfurt am Main distributed by the French company G. Massiot & Cie (actual photographer unknown). Distributed before 1912. Large sections of the Altstadt were rebuilt after World War II bombing and so only a few old buildings are actually preserved today. The surrounding buildings (houses and shops) of the Römerberg (square around the city hall) are largely reconstructions today. These views show the area before WWII.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    This Baroque style fountain (named Liebfrauenbrunnen), was erected on the Liebfrauenberg, formerly one of Frankfurt’s most posh locations, in 1769. The conical centre of the fountain consists of a rustic obelisk, copied (restored) by Kurt Zobel in 1970.

    Views of Frankfurt am Main distributed by the French company G. Massiot & Cie (actual photographer unknown). Distributed before 1912. Large sections of the Altstadt were rebuilt after World War II bombing and so only a few old buildin…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Bassai (Bassae) frieze original is in the British Museum (room 16).

    The Glyptothek was commissioned by the Crown Prince (later King) Ludwig I of Bavaria alongside other projects, such as the neighboring Königsplatz and the building which houses the State Collection of Greek and Roman Antiquities, as a monument to ancient Greece. He envisioned a “German Athens”, in which the ancient Greek culture would be remembered; he had this built in front of the gates of Munich. The layout …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Cologne City Hall is the oldest city hall in Germany still in use. The Renaissance style loggia and tower were added in the 15th century. The entrance porch, the Doxal (1569-1573) by Wilhelm Vernucken is a unique copy in Germany of buildings by Sansovino and Palladio. Rebuilt after WWII.

    The Rathaus is situated near the Alter Markt on the inner side of the Roman city wall, in the heart of the medieval Jewish quarter. A town hall building is mentioned here in 1135-11399, but the Hansasaal…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Severinstorburg at Chlodwigplatz. It takes its name from the parish of the church of St. Severin. The tower is flat sided on the city side and has crenellations at the top.

    The twelve gates of the new town wall (1180–1250) allude to the heavenly Jerusalem (Revelations 21:12). Of the once twelve medieval city gates (Stadttorburgen), only the Eigelsteintorburg at Ebertplatz, the Hahnentor at Rudolfplatz and the Severinstorburg at Chlodwigplatz still stand today. The Severin gate fronts ont…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The northern apse is visible to the left, beyond the tower. The transept of the nave closes behind the West Tower. [Dupe of 3415]

    Dominated by the cathedral, the city changed its appearance from the 10th century with the construction of St Maria im Kapitol, Gross St Martin (1150-1230), St Cäcilien (ca. 1130-1160; now part of Schnütgen-Mus) and St Aposteln (begun ca. 1030), which rose above the tightly packed burgher houses. One of the twelve Romanesque-era churches left in Cologne, which for…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The northern apse is visible to the left, beyond the tower. The transept of the nave closes behind the West Tower.

    Dominated by the cathedral, the city changed its appearance from the 10th century with the construction of St Maria im Kapitol, Gross St Martin (1150-1230), St Cäcilien (ca. 1130-1160; now part of Schnütgen-Mus) and St Aposteln (begun ca. 1030), which rose above the tightly packed burgher houses. One of the twelve Romanesque-era churches left in Cologne, which formed the shape o…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The short bridge leads over to a landing platform or quay in the river.

    The smallest of the twelve Romanesque-era churches left in Cologne, and the only one built as a parish church. The exterior is plastered and painted (currently a rose or blush-pink color). It has Romanesque carvings on its west door and Romanesque murals on the ceiling, which are unique to the area. It was the only church not to sustain damage in WWII.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The spires shown in this photograph have been removed (destroyed in WWII) and now the towers have simple pyramidal caps.

    The youngest of the twelve Romanesque-era churches left in Cologne. Damaged and rebuilt after WWII. Saint Kunibert was bishop and advisor of King Dagobert I. The walls of the large two-storey apse are “double-skinned” with shallow walkways framed by columns. The spires were destroyed in WWII and now the four square towers have simple pyramidal caps.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Part of the cathedral is visible beyond the base of the bridge (the towers are missing in the photo, perhaps in fog)

    The bridge accommodated pedestrians and trolleys. Two avenues branched from the city side, one led to the cathedral and the other led into the main train shed. It crosses the Rhine at kilometer 688.5. Originally, the bridge was both a railway and street (trolley) bridge, however after its destruction in 1945 and its subsequent reconstruction it was only accessible to rail and …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01