University of Notre Dame

Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Department or Unit: University of Notre Dame remove × Collection: Architectural Lantern Slides of Italy remove ×
Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The column is now topped with a statue of St. Peter.

    Trajan’s Column is a Roman triumphal column, which commemorates Roman emperor Trajan’s victory in the Dacian Wars. What was new about this column were the shaft’s spiral narrative relief and internal stair of 185 steps. In 1588 Sixtus V installed on the egg-and-dart echinus a new platform and statue of St Peter on the top. The fascination of artists (such as Piranesi) and rulers alike culminated in the project of Napoleon III (…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Because of increased popular devotion to a miracle-working image of the Virgin and Child housed there, a competition was held in 1480 to design a new building for the Miracoli. Initially Pietro Lombardo was hired to supervise the construction of a simple votive chapel; plans were revised and stipulated that the structure, now apparently regarded as a convent church rather than a chapel, should be vaulted and have a chancel. Pietro’s solution for the revised project was ingenious: he eleva…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Has been attributed to Pietro Bernini. “The fountain was constructed in 1627-1629 as part of Urban VIII’s plan to bring some of the water of the Acqua Vergine to the area between the Piazza di Spagna and the Porta del Popolo…the fountain had to be designed to be low because the pressure of the water was slight…both the authorship and iconography of the fountain have given rise to much discussion…most modern authorities are agreed that the invention…is due to the young Gianlor…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The round wall of the apse is decorated with the Blessing of God the Father painted in 1506 by the Pistoian artist Bernardino del Signoraccio.

    Giovanni Pisano’s first pulpit, in S Andrea, Pistoia, was begun ca. 1298, partly executed in Pisa and finished in 1301, the date of the inscription, which describes the sculptor as the ‘son of Nicola, and blessed with higher skill’. The church probably dates as early as the 8th century; it was extended in the mid 12th century. The portal d…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Dedicated to S Giorgio, the cathedral was built originally in the 7th century on the right bank of the river (the building survives, altered). After the acquisition of the relics of SS George and Maurelius in 1106, a new site was begun on the left bank in ca. 1134, consecrated in 1146. It is a five-aisled basilica. However, only the lower sections of the façade and the outer south wall up to the level of the cornice are of this period. The screen façade was completed in the 14th and 15th cent…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The abbey and the basilica of Santa Giustina became, in the 15th century, one of the most important monasteries in the area. It houses several saint’s tombs. The complex was founded in the 5th century on the tomb of the namesake saint, Justine of Padua.

    Prato della Valle is a 90,000 square meter elliptical square in Padova, Italy. It is the largest square in Italy, and one of the largest in Europe. The square today is a monumental space of extraordinary visual impact, with a green island…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Cathedral was built by (Byzantine) bishop Zosimo in the 7th century over the great Temple of Athena (5th century BCE), on the Ortygia island. This was a Doric edifice with six columns on the short sides and 14 on the long sides; these can still be seen incorporated in the walls of the current church. The base of the Greek edifice had three steps. During the two centuries of Muslim rule (878-1038), the cathedral was converted into a mosque. The interior of the church has a nave and two ais…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    In addition to the various elaborate fountains that Cosimo ordered, Ammanati was also commissioned to improve (1560-1577) the Palazzo Pitti, which had been acquired (1549) as a residence for the Duchess, Eleonora of Toledo. His masterpiece there is the half-sunken courtyard, with the surrounding building rising a full three storeys on three sides of a rectangle, and, above a fountain grotto on the fourth side, framing a view over the Boboli Gardens, which were being laid out axially up the st…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    It is best known for its commanding position above the Spanish Steps which lead down to the Piazza di Spagna. The church and its surrounding area (including the Villa Medici) are the property of the French State. In 1502, Louis XII of France began construction of the church next to a monastery for the Minimite Friars. The present Italian Renaissance church was eventually built in its place and finally consecrated in 1585 by the great urbanizer Pope Sixtus V. In front of the church stands the …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Sanctuary of Hera contains two temples, popularly misnamed the “Basilica” and the “Temple of Neptune”. The second Temple of Hera probably dates from ca. 460 BCE. It is Doric order, and there are two rows of internal columns, a mainland Greek feature that became more widespread in Sicily and South Italy at this time.

    Ancient city of Paestum was established by Greek colonists from Sybaris, who called it Poseidonia; taken by Lucanians 5th century BCE and by Romans 273 BC…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Grigi completed the Palazzo Coccina Tiepolo, incorporating several elements traceable to other sources: the single lights, for example, recall Palladio, while the high-level oculi are characteristic of Jacopo Sansovino. The house was complete by ca. 1560. It is notable for interior decorations by Giambattista Tiepolo and a well preserved hall of mirrors.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    His last major commission for Urban VIII was for a fountain outside the family palace at Piazza Barberini. With the Triton Fountain, completed in 1642-1643, Bernini abandoned the staid, architectural format of earlier fountains to create a spectacle. Four dolphins, tails entwined around the papal coats of arms and supporting a giant bivalve, arise from a pool of water. The sea god Triton, seated in the middle of this great shell, blasts a stream of water heavenward from a massive conch shell….

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01